Strength of Schedule

Scoop

Our young team is going to be tested the way the schedule is shaping up. The SOS could be top 50 if the A10 is strong this year. SLU will need a few cup cakes to fill in the cracks. Does anyone know if UNC is a comeback game for next year?

I read on the board UNC visits SLU next year...probably a promise made to Tyler Hansborough about scheduling a game near Poplar Bluff. Bottom line though is this is good for SLU's exposure. And who knows UNC's not nearly as strong as last year but they're still UNC...Upset special?

Great exposure for SLU. Maybe an espn2 game? I know UNC reloads every year, but they did lose 6 players. It seems like they drop one early to someone they shouldn't every year. Go get em' Bills!

I used to think that way .... until sitting in Myrtle Beach watching the Bills play Cincy a few years back, getting pasted, and having folks in the bar ask the 'tender "to put some basketball on .. some real basketball, please? Maybe even some college ball."

Let's face it, we're an oddity .... same place someone like Gonzaga used to be until they started winning. As odd as Slippery Rock, maybe. Frankly, same place Duke used to be until they started winning. We've been on TV before ... we beat Kansas ... played Arizona to one with Reggie's toe on the line .... stayed with GaTech .... and what does that get you? Us talking about exposure once again. Give that ghost up.

I'm glad in that we're playing some tough teams .... I would hope the guys on the court can turn these big games into experience that leads to consistent wins. So what if we beat a down or even UNC? Until the winning and the dancing is consistent ... it still ain't gonna make any kid worth his salt turning down a name school to come to us.

Frankly, I don't think it ever will. I am hoping that the Liddell's, Lisch's, Obi's, Maguire's and Koch's of the world fit the system as someone notes above and Brad makes that work. Consistently. Then maybe more wins come and we get better respect with better kids looking at us. We saw what happened with Hughes ... I understand he got us Love and some others looking at us to play with him. Of course, he left, and the well went very dry, very quickly. Leaving behind studs like Baniak, Tatum and Heinrich.

Playing for exposure ain't worth a damn.

I think your analysis is overly simplistic. Of course wins are the most important things, but the program needs to continue to try to improve in a variety of other areas. There are a lot of people involved. The Athletic Director needs to work on scheduling, fundraising, making tv and radio deals. She also needs to try to put us in the best league possible. We should try to get the most exposure possible. The promotions department needs to be creative and do they best they can to generate interest, enthusiasm and put butts in the seats. And of course, the most important thing is for the coaching staff to recruit a good roster and for Soderberg to coach his a$$ off. Ultimately winning is what counts, but all of those little things like promotions, scheduling, etc. will help the staff sell the program. I want everybody in the program to do their best to help make this the most attractive program possible and then it's up to the coaches to get the job done. If our a.d. and support staff are doing a great job, but the wins aren't coming, then it's time to get a new coach. We need to try to put the coaching staff in a position to succeed. Failure to provide quality support will make their job more difficult.

I think Georgetown under J. Thompson is still the best example of a program coming out of nowhere and having a national impact that attracted talent. Before JT, GU had no program to speak of. He comes on the scene and voila! Kids all over the country started wearing GU hats, shirts, etc. I don't believe we'll ever get to that level but Taj's remarks about exposure are right on. I think we're all tired of playing for exposure. We need to become a consistent visitor to the dance and get out of the one and done rut. This from a guy who said good exposure in my previous post. It really doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things.

The big picture....

A good head coach might be able to convince the star local kid to come and play.

That might allow that team to get local role players to come too.

But until the team wins consistently, reloading will be a big problem. Making that transition will be difficult, look at us after Hughes, Colorado after Billups, and even Marquette after Wade. Coach Needs two more solid recruiting classes and we might be able to win and recruit year in and year out.

... in the K-I-S-S method. Keep It Simple Stupid. If verbalized, the NFL rogue of rogues, Al Davis, said it best with "Just Win, Bay-bee!" Control what you can control. Your anaylsis is just as good considering all opinions are, but scheduling is a myth ... most of the big boys don't give you a home-and-home and playing all the big boys will kill you (see Coppin State, Temple, etc.). Scheduling is almost an art form. You have to splice in some wins somewhere ... the bottom feeders of Div. 1 need those bigger paydays to keep their programs afloat. A game at a sold out Savvis in year's past meant tons of cash to those Mercer's and UMKC's of the world. I question what good fundraising would be. The Notre Dame nation is the richest endowment this side of the Vatican .... and that has guaranteed what? Not that much lately.

Finally, television deals of the national nature are where the big bucks come in ... and that's mostly a conference deal. Sure, an AD might get some local network to do things but even ACC games here where Maryland plays is on the local UPN affiliate. And even if conference deals are done, you (or we) will be a one and done if we don't do the Al Davis boogie and win out more times than not.

As a Billiken case in point .... there were no huge promotions to pack the house during the Clagg years. That was winning, entertaining basketball. I believe 17 and 0 going into the Memphis home game at the old Arena. Bill Veeck used to pinch hit with midgets .... where did that get him? The product sells, which in any sport is winning. You can dress it up all you like but that will wear thin. Who said "Winning ain't everything, its the only thing" or something like that?

Yes, all the things you mention SHOULD also work in tandem, but even if they all did and winning wasn't happening, we'd still fire the coach in the long run. I can't wait for this season in the A-10. I am really curious to measure at least that against the old CUSA.