SLU Recruiting

In my opinion here is what the SLU recruiting board should look like and these are the guys they should be going after big time:

Dustin Maguire

Mike Smith

Casey Crawford

Karolis Petrukonis

George Goode II

Leon Powell

Chris Stokes

Matt Dorlack

Evan Schmidt

Travis Relaford

John Brandenburg

Alex Vouyoukas

Courtney Belcher

i dont know some of your names, but i would add rob rudy and lucas o'rear to the class of 2007.

>In my opinion here is what the SLU recruiting board should

>look like and these are the guys they should be going after

>big time:

>

>2006

>Dustin Maguire

>Mike Smith

>Casey Crawford

>Karolis Petrukonis

>

>2007

>George Goode II

>Leon Powell

>Chris Stokes

>Matt Dorlack

>Evan Schmidt

>

>2008

>Travis Relaford

>John Brandenburg

>Alex Vouyoukas

>Courtney Belcher

Nice list but I've only seen the local guys. I seriously doubt we're going after any more wing forwards in this class but I like Mike Smith's strength and versatility. He's going to make some mid-major very happy.

SLU has offered Casey Crawford. From what I've read he's got Chris Kellerman's perimeter game but is willing to mix it up inside.

If Goode gets his academics together, he's going higher than the A-10.

SLU's interest in Powell has already been well documented.

Stokes is an even smaller Polk. Again, he will make some mid-major very happy.

2008 is too far away for me to get excited about.

How could you leave off Torres Roundtree and Kramer Soderberg, the top two freshman in the area? What about Daniel Lisch? How can you want Mike Smith over Bobby Hill.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&c...me=Hill&yr=2006

Bobby Hill is 3 stars, Mike Smith isnt even listed. Hill is the better athlete and a standout defender. Might be the better shooter as well. He also proved himself against top 10 2006 player Paul Harris of Niagara Fall as he scored 18 to lead Vashon to the victory over the nationally ranked team.

Petrukonis plays at Norfolk Collegiate in Virginia. He plays for a high profile AAU team maybe Boo Williams. He is 6'11 250 and an import from Lithuania. Extremely skilled post player, good passer, with decent athleticism for a big man. Probably projected to be a better version of our Ian. He has every school on the eastern seaboard looking at him.

>How could you leave off Torres Roundtree and Kramer

>Soderberg, the top two freshman in the area?

How could I leave Torres and Kramer off of the list. Torres has to show me some things, before I would put him on the SLU list and Kramer is a given.

>

>Bobby Hill is 3 stars, Mike Smith isnt even listed. Hill is

>the better athlete and a standout defender. Might be the

>better shooter as well. He also proved himself against top

>10 2006 player Paul Harris of Niagara Fall as he scored 18

>to lead Vashon to the victory over the nationally ranked

>team.

If Bobby Hill is 3 stars then Mike Smith is at least that. I have been to a lot of other sites that don't even have Bobby Hill listed. I know Mike Smith has played top level competition and I know he can handle playing the best the nation has to offer. I cannot say that about Bobby Hill. Furthermore Hill is not a better athlete than Smith, and I don't care what planet you are on. Mike Smith is a much better athlete than Hill and he shoots a whole lot better than Hill. Just so you know that I am not vashon bashing I have watched Powell play against the best talent the country has to offer and I know he is legit. I have been waiting for Hill to show me something for a couple of years now, and he hasn't shown to be much more than a supporting player who is along for the ride.

>I don't see Jarod Leonard on this list and he should be

>there. I'm not sure what class he is going to end up in

>though given the transfer.

I like Jarod Leonard a lot, but is he going to play basketball again? Have you seen him anywhere? I haven't seen him anywhere. Does he even care about basketball? Does he even know what one looks like? I like the kid a lot and I truly want the best for him, but I think basketball is the farthest thing from his mind.

>>I don't see Jarod Leonard on this list and he should be

>>there. I'm not sure what class he is going to end up in

>>though given the transfer.

>

>I like Jarod Leonard a lot, but is he going to play

>basketball again? Have you seen him anywhere? I haven't

>seen him anywhere. Does he even care about basketball?

>Does he even know what one looks like? I like the kid a lot

>and I truly want the best for him, but I think basketball is

>the farthest thing from his mind.

If you have inside info on Jarod, do tell. I understand he was injured last year. Has he fully recovered and been cleared to play? The injury could explain why he has not resurfaced yet this summer. If anybody gets the word directly on Jarod's status, please post.

If you think Mike Smith is a better athlete than Bobby Hill, you must really be mistaken and I guess you've never seen Hill attack the basket. The alley-oop dunk at UMSL, he caught off a broken play was jaw-dropping. He didnt even step into it. Daniels threw it up there and he just went and got it, took the contact and dunked throgh the 6'6 Blake Baleif. The left-handed windmill in the Midwest Showdown was superb. Hill is a better athlete and even played pg for a season. How can you leave him off that list. Has SLU even offered Mike Smith? Hill has started 2 of his 3 years at Vashon, he's more than a supporting player. How much did you want him to D1 players like Dwayne Polk and Johnny Hill on the roster in addition to Curtis Muse, Will Franklin, Kenny Daniels, Donny Jackson, Leon Powell etc. He will be a primetime player next season. Numbers probably wont be huge because that's not how the team plays, but he will put up better scoring numbers, 4 to 5 apg. 8 rebounds. 2 or 3 steals. Highlight reel plays. It depends on how Powell emerges. Hill is the better athlete, and most important, he's the better student. 3.8 GPA

i saw smith at the shootout last year and he was a division one player. played entire game and was obviously the best player on the floor.

i saw the vashon vs popular bluff game on tv in the spring and hill was nonexistent. you may be right about his physical abilities. but here's a newsflash basketball is not some sort of decathalon. it is a team game that requires more than being able to run and jump. hopefully that will click for young mr hill this winter so he can live up to your high expectations.

>Furthermore Hill is not a better athlete than Smith, and I

>don't care what planet you are on. Mike Smith is a much

>better athlete than Hill and he shoots a whole lot better

>than Hill.

This is an interesting observation. Mike Smith seems pretty athletic to me as well - somewhere between Luke Meyer and Danny Brown. Vashon actually runs back door plays so that Hill can get a running start at the hoop and throw it down. That makes a player look more athletic than he really is. If he was really as athletic as he's touted to be, it would manifest in ways other than the carefully orchestrated alley-oop jams.

I don't think its so much that Smith shoots a lot better than Hill, I think it's that he actually has a solid mid-range game, while Hill does not. At this point, if you take away the alley-oops and fast break buckets, Bobby has a lot of trouble scoring.

Hill can also shoot 3's and play pg. Bobby Hill played center his freshman year, while Muse was out, pg his sophomore season on the undefeated team so Polk wouldnt have to play it and sf this season. He's maybe the most versatile player in the area. He's extremely long. Mike Smith would've been nonexistant against Pop Bluff as well. Bobby Hill is going to the Nike Camp. Did Mike Smith get invited to the Nike Camp, NO! Bobby will be showcasing his skills in front of 250 Div 1 scouts. Bobby Hill will be the first or second leading scorer on a 5A title team next season while Mike Smith, hopes to win another 2A title. I also was at the Shootout. I still have the program with Julian Wright on the cover. Mike Smith is a nice 6'6 wing player who can do some nice things, but he wasnt even one of the top 3 small school players in the state last season.

problack/vtime/normandyandritterfan,

Why are you always contradicting yourself?

You've said time and time again that Bobby Hill was Vashon's backup point guard as a freshman and more times than I care to remember you've said Baby James Washington was the point guard and Dwayne Polk was the shooting guard on the undefeated state championship team.

Now you're saying that Bobby Hill was the center as a freshman (http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketballboys/03/stats/overall277.shtm) instead of Muse and that B. Hill played point guard as a sophomore, which I guess would make Baby James the shooting guard and 5-foot-8 Dwayne Polk the small forward.

Which is it?

I never contradicted myself. Hill did play center as a freshman. They went undefeated his sophomore season, and he was the backup pg during the undefeated season so Polk wouldnt have to play pg when Washington came out of the game. I dont see the contradiction.

>problack/vtime/normandyandritterfan,

>

>Why are you always contradicting yourself?

>

>You've said time and time again that Bobby Hill was Vashon's

>backup point guard as a freshman and more times than I care

>to remember you've said Baby James Washington was the point

>guard and Dwayne Polk was the shooting guard on the

>undefeated state championship team.

>

>Now you're saying that Bobby Hill was the center as a

>freshman

>(http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketballboys/03/stats/overall277.shtm)

>instead of Muse and that B. Hill played point guard as a

>sophomore, which I guess would make Baby James the shooting

>guard and 5-foot-8 Dwayne Polk the small forward.

>

>Which is it?

I also never said that Hill was the center instead of Muse. I said he was the center while Muse was out. Go ahead and read it again. Muse only played half the game that season. It was Muse's junior season and B. Hill's freshman season.

___________FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF TP A TO BLK S MIN

32 Hill, Bobby 1-3 0-1 2-2 0 2 2 1 4 1 2 1 1 20

vs Kickapoo

32 Hill, Bobby 1-5 0-1 0-0 1 1 2 3 2 1 1 0 2 14

vs Poplar Bluff

Who did he play agianst in the Midwest Showdown, no one. How did Bobby do against the top teams in the summer circuit, who knows. The deal is Bobby puts up numbers against nobody. Also when someone outside of the Vashon family does stats it is drastically different from what the rest of his numbers would lead you to believe. I can't hate on a kid with a 3.8 that is great so when he gets his ACT score he should have a lot of options available to him. But he is not the prime time player you think he is. His amazing dunk on a 6'6" Balaiff come on that kid is going to Lindenwood. Who are you trying to fool.

He put up 18 pts against Paul Harris of Niagara. Paul Harris was invited to the NBA camp last month. Harris a 5 star player.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/result.asp

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1763213

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...s/event203752.s

htm

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1822586

Hill did have a bad playoff run. I cant argue that. All I can say is that he put up numbers in an offense that is not setup for anyone player to flourish. It's set up to run when you can and when in half court to work the ball and execute. The only player who routinely got off in the halfcourt setting was Powell.

I'm having trouble finding Smith on any major recruiting site. Anybody have a recruiting site that has Mike Smith listed as a D1 prospect.

Do we have any interest in Petrukonis (and vice versa) that you know of, or is this just a kid you know a little about whom we would love to have, but probably have no chance of getting?