Is SLU recruiting Leon Powell, Bobby Hill?

VTIME

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for you to say, "i'm not disappointed at all", speaks volumes about your standards compared to mine and undelines exactly what i am talking about. vashon will always have this problem as long as your (meaning all vashon boosters/parents/teachers/administrators/coaches) are accepting flunking out of college as ok because he got further than most. i know this is stereotyping and definitely may not pertain to young mr gordon, but demanding excellence is not something that a lot of kids want to hear. but it is amazing to me how much potential can be fulfilled when pushed. maybe if they are pushed when 13 or 14 year olds, they dont have to face this when they are 20.

probably could use two more this year if we want. as drejaj and newborne are the only seniors.

i'm not disappointed because he already one degree and could still finish school elsewhere. He didnt flunk out of college, he just failed to remain eligible for next year. His college career is not over, he only has maybe a year or a year and a half left before graduation and he could enroll at any small college if he chooses. You're looking at his situation too pessimistically. And like I said its not just Vashon, its most of the city schools.

how does he compare to grant agbo?

if he is worthy of a high division one program, why hasnt he been offered by anyone else at this point? something must be wrong.

at 6'6" to play inside at the a-10 level, he better be one hell of a strong and athletic kid. there is a huge difference rebounding against 6'2" high school centers and curtis withers.

Temple has done pretty well in the A10 conference with 6'6 and 6'7 PF's over the years, really not that undersized for D1 these days. Justin Tatum was only 6'7 and he played pf for SLU and did a nice job. Mizzou started Jeff Hafer at pf his senior year and it didnt hurt them any. Mizzou also play a 6'5 Albert White at pf and it didnt hurt them any, and that was in the Big 12 which is much more talented than Conference USA or A10. Did you guys see how far Wisconsin made it this year with a 6'5 PF. When will you guys realize that if a guy is good, he's good, his height is not as big of an obstacle. Texas has a pretty good 6'5 PF by the name of PJ Tucker. Chuck Hayes was a very good inside player for Kentucky this past season as a 6'7 pf. Alan Anderson played pf for this season at 6'5. Hassan Adams played pf at Arizona at 6'4 in 2004.

>Temple has done pretty well in the A10 conference with 6'6

>and 6'7 PF's over the years, really not that undersized for

>D1 these days. Justin Tatum was only 6'7 and he played pf

>for SLU and did a nice job. Mizzou started Jeff Hafer at pf

>his senior year and it didnt hurt them any. Mizzou also

>play a 6'5 Albert White at pf and it didnt hurt them any,

>and that was in the Big 12 which is much more talented than

>Conference USA or A10. Did you guys see how far Wisconsin

>made it this year with a 6'5 PF. When will you guys realize

>that if a guy is good, he's good, his height is not as big

>of an obstacle. Texas has a pretty good 6'5 PF by the name

>of PJ Tucker. Chuck Hayes was a very good inside player for

>Kentucky this past season as a 6'7 pf. Alan Anderson played

>pf for this season at 6'5. Hassan Adams played pf at

>Arizona at 6'4 in 2004.

The Big 12 is "much more talented than CUSA" ??? Maybe now after the breakup, but in the previous 5 years, that's a big exaggeration.

I would say Jeff Hafer starting at pf for Mizzou did hurt them.

It didnt stop them from making the tourney.

now that I think of it,

Mizzou started a very small lineup in 2000

6'3 pg Dooling

6'1 sg grawer

6'2 sf gilbert

6'5 hafer

6'9 soyoye

still made the ncaaa tournament and you guys keep saying how slu needs all these big guys. Mizzou competed and beat so many teams that year. Teams that had and least one nba player if not multiple. Stop saying how SLU needs all these big guys. Who in the A10 has a dominant or even decent big man? Guards will carry a team in this conference. Stockpile guards and play them together, You can get away with and thrive with small lineups in this conference.

sd i said above, if he is as muscled as justin tatum, and/or talented as chuck hayes, i have no problem with 6'5" or 6'6" pf's.

you never answered why no one else has recruited this guy. was it grades? is he not that physically strong? what was the deal?

i dont think problack is partial to mi$$ouri. at least not from his history at stltoday i dont think so. he just knows very little about the billikens and thus cusa as well. he is all about city public league high school basketball and actually is pretty knowledgeable about those players. his views are somewhat skewed imo, but still he obviously has seen them all play from previous conversations i have had with him at the stltoday boards. just got to take his bias with a grain of salt.

i dont think grawer started. kareem rush did. and he was 6'6" and fairly athletic to go get some rebounds and guard the bigger sf's. grawer did play significant minutes though and i am sure there were 3 guard moments that were used when the matchups allowed.

Rush didnt start. It was his freshman year and he and his brother JaRon both had to sit out because of NCAA violations. Rush was a pretty good sixth man once he became eligible and after dooling left he slid into the sf, grawer slid to pg and gilbert to the sg.

Nate said most consistent shot for his size. Kevin Lisch isnt any close to Matt Lawrence's height. Secondly, what Lawrence did scares me. What happens if Quin leaves, there's no guarantee that the new coach would give him the scholarship that Quin promised. Lorenzo Taylor is in the exact situation with Western Illinois. Why didnt SLU take a shot at him. He's a fantastic 6'7 athlete with the qualifications to play D1. He's a late qualifier who ended up at Western Illinois because many schools didnt think he would qualify. Once SLU found out he was eligible, I thought they would give this All-Metro player a look. You would think SLU would be able to sign a Matt Lawrence or Lorenzo Taylor instead of them having to accept academic scholarships elsewhere.

Late qualifying has nothing to do with no one recruiting him. If all the racers had to hold their positions until kids actually "qualified" there be no race. No offers usually means no sustained talent.

My brother was a 6'6" point guard in high school. He went to a D III school. He was qualified. I suspect it was his talent level.

The best player I ever played against was a kid named Pat Flannery. He was so good, he went to D III Lebanon Valley College in Pa. He played four years and became a coach. You might have seen him earlier this year when his Bucknell Bison upset Kansas in the NCAA's.

Obviously you never heard of a guy named Steve Nash(MVP) who only got one Division 1 offer or Ronald Murray (Seattle Supersonics), no D1 offers or Scottie Pippen( Hall of Famer) no D1 offers. Some of the world's best players didnt receive any offers. Dont know how many offers Curtis Marshall and Jermaine Blackburn got out in 2001 either, but they went JUCO and proved they were D1 material as they finished up careers at Texas Tech and Boise State this past month. Scouts can be wrong, they're wrong all the time.

>Did you guys see how far Wisconsin

>made it this year with a 6'5 PF. When will you guys realize

>that if a guy is good, he's good, his height is not as big

>of an obstacle. Texas has a pretty good 6'5 PF by the name

>of PJ Tucker. Chuck Hayes was a very good inside player for

>Kentucky this past season as a 6'7 pf. Alan Anderson played

>pf for this season at 6'5. Hassan Adams played pf at

>Arizona at 6'4 in 2004.

problack,

I remember you using this exact same argument once or twice (well, probably several times) on the stltoday forums.

If the SLU coaches thought Lenzell Cole was good enough to help them, they would have offered him a scholarship. Same thing with Alex Barnett. Same thing with Xavier Price this spring.

Is your next argument going to be about how SLU should offer scholarships to you and a couple of your Harris Stowe teammates?

- Nate

... sure, I've heard of those guys. The world is full of success stories like them. Maybe we could throw in a Donald Trump, or a Bill Gates, or even an Art Modell. Whatever.

I will say this .... with your perchant for taking flyers on questionable talent, banking on some sort of blossoming diamond in the rough to carry the day, your ability to create longevity would certainly be suspect.

I'll stick with Brad and his boys, your road map to success is cluttered with questionable talent, more questionable "success" stories, and suspect motivation (to some).

I'll read your posts with the usual respect, but until one of your guys turns into the next Steve Nash, Scottie Pippin or even Chris Carrawell (great college/story over) I'll continue to believed your facts are more of an invention than reality.

First things first, I"m NOT problack! Secondly, if Price were good enough for Purdue, why not SLU? SLU may have recruited those guys out of JUCO, but didnt out of high school which shows that scouts make mistakes all the time. And Nate Latsch, you dont believe the posts I've made on this Billikens forum about the 6'5-6'7 guards thriving at the pf position are valid, there are numerous examples at high profile and highly successful universities. i've named a few.