the good and the bad from Izik

kevinfootes

I wish IO would look to IV more inside. IV was working his butt off trying to establish position, and several times IO would not get him the ball in the paint. This becomes even more important when the guards are not getting looks outside, or not sinking the open looks they do get.

I understand why Brad plays Izik but they guy simply can not deliver at critical times - he missed many key shots during the game and that traveling error at the end of regulation was simply inexcusable by a senior. Especially since he is not a good ball handler but he keeps doing it!

>who could shoot 4-14 and miss several shots in the paint.

>There are plenty of them sitting in the crowd.

You're hung up on one stat. The dude had 14 rebounds with 12 points (in a very low scoring game) and you want to run him out of the building as a bumb???? Crazy. The problem is that we are relying on Izik to be the man because we have no one else and he's not an elite player. However, right now he is a very solid PF which is a great asset to the team. You are on drugs if you think there are plenty of guys in the beer belly crowd who could walk out of the stands and give us what Izik does.

if he had such good position then why didnt he get a single offensive rebound yesterday? plus, at least 3 of his trips to the foul line were two shot fouls where he could not convert the bunny that he had. and at least 4 passes to him yesterday he couldnt catch. granted they were tough passes but they were catchable. a good inside player would have gotten them and turned them into baskets. imo, at this time, ian isnt good in traffic.

that said, i think getting him the pass inside opens up some other avenues, and he has without a doubt shown he is a very good passing center. when he has post position, i too would try to throw it to him.

extremely poor shooting. If "the dude" would have shot well at all SLU would have one the game. Since you seem to be focused on the 12 points, maybe you should have him take all of the shots next game. Do you think SLU would win if they shot 16-56 from the floor?

My point wasn't to knock Izik as a person, but let's look at your comments. "...he is a very solid PF and a great asset to the team."

You're the one on drugs if you think Izik would be any more than a 7th man on any team that is even .500.

As for your other comments, I actually was JOKING when I said that someone from the crowd could do what he does...except for missing all of the close shots.

>>You're the one on drugs if you think Izik would be any more than a 7th man on any team that is even .500.<<

Kevin, make a reasoned argument and skip the hyperbole. You're overplaying your hand. Izik has already started for a team over 500--last year's Billikens (19-13). For the year, Izik is shooting .508 from the floor (95-187). He's averaging 6.8 boards a game. I understand you are not happy with Izik's play but fixating upon shooting percentage in one game is not a fair way to evaluate the player IMHO.

http://slubillikens.collegesports.com/spor...ativeStats.html

I agree. Izik seems to be the only person this year who I feel has improved since last season. Sure he's got more potential than he's lived up to, but I can't dog the guy. With everybody else playing pretty piss poor, Izik has gotten it done. I think he could do more, but at this point, I feel he is the LAST person we need to be criticizing.

If IO gets hurt we break 40 no problem - someone will step up and fill the void who is not getting minutes now such a more of JJ or LM or BH. IO has been a bit of a bright spot but for being a senior he sure has made it a habit of taking some bad shots or turning the ball over at critical times. His rebounding has improved.

That travelling call at the end of regulation was an untimely, BS call - he was getting humped from behind - it easily could have been called a blocking foul. I had a great view of the call - I sit even with the ft line, across from the Bill's bench. However, the way the game was called, it should have been a no call. I'd just as soon have that ref group at every game. Not that we couldn't have won the game from that point....

Last year means nothing right now. That's your first mistake. IO does have good overall shooting percentage...which shouldn't be a surprise when you consider 90% of his shots are in the paint. However, he's had 3 or 4 great nights which have padded the rest of his season. How many games have you actually seen? Please tell me how well he's shot and handled the ball in the last 5 minutes of any game.

How "reasonable" do I need to be? Watch a game and see how he does when there's something on the line.

kevin, while i have long felt that izik can be more than he is, he is far from the main problem on this team. imo, izik is the hands down mvp of the team thus far. that aint saying much, but i dont know how anyone else could be elevated above him when you consider the whole season.