Dayton Tickets

slufanskip

I'm not wanting to change allegiences ... but does anyone know if Dayton is going to play the rest of their home games at the Savvis ... or was this just a one time thing. If they are ... anyone know what tickets cost

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

That was pathetic. Dayton not only beat us on the court, but their fans showed us how real fans act at a college basketball game.

What I don't understand about our fans is why so many of them just sit there the entire game without making a sound. All I ask is that people at least clap their hands when we make a good play, hit a free throw, etc.

People get fired up about the goddamn mini-basketballs and Jimmy John's sandwiches that are thrown into the stands, but they can't bother to cheer for the team that they purchased tickets to watch. If you can't even bother to make a little noise, watch the game on tv, and don't give me the evil eye when I yell or clap. Save the old timer act for the Famous-Barr Tea Room.

And why have the fans been so reluctant to adopt the S-A-I-N-T-L-O-U-I-S cheer that the band leads when they play "When the Saints Go Marching In"? It's a great cheer, but for whatever reason, our fans won't chant it. Can you imagine how cool it would be to hear 10,000 fans enthusiastically doing that cheer? Right now, the closest thing we have to fan involvement is for the "Jaws" hand-clapping.

To the older fans - did you guys have organized cheers? If so, what were they? I've always found it surprising that SLU has so many kids from schools like SLUH and DeSmet who were rowdy fans at their high school games (some of the funniest, most creative cheers I've ever heard were at SLUH b-ball games), but when those same kids get to SLU, they act much differently at the games.

It also didn't help that the Blue Crew turnout was about six people. I realize that Christmas break has started, but that was still pretty disappointing. There were far more Dayton kids there than there were SLU students.

But hey, at least the COCA dancers at halftime were very good. The one kid looked just like Anthony Drejaj.

The Daytton fans were actually pissing me off.

I usually get some good knitting tips by eavesdropping on the old ladies who sit about 4 rows back and 5 or 6 seats to the left of me ... but the Dayton fans wouldn't shut up so I could hear. I know they were saying something about the proper stitching for a turtleneck ... but I missed it.

I am up and screaming and screaming at the fans to get up ... but most of them just look at me like I am an idiot who annoys them with all my cheering and nonsense.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

At least you don't have a guy sitting neaar you that yells at the Baby Blues to put their pom poms down cause he can't perfectly see a free throw. Dude, look up!! There is a 20 foot video board right over your head!!!!

Oh, and don't call me "son". My dad knew how to cheer and yell at collge sports...you are clueless

Exactly! But this is a really good point. Our fans are one step away from being horrible. I had a better ratio of fans at my high school football games where they didn't win one game all season than we do here. I have my contacts in the media relations for SLU, and have been approached as to how we can draw in more fans. Let's face it: over half the fans are of the older type, in turn they bring their young children/grandchildren (who, if they did cheer, wouldn't be able to be heard, or better yet, "I can't see, WAHHH WAHHH", just for you TheBand, because they don't have the lung power), and our student body turnout is appalling. Of course the help of an arena on campus would probably boost attendance, but not by much. We have too many students at SLU who are more concerned about their GPA's or partying to come and support their fellow comrades and help them win a game (who I'm sure the student body will see one of our players in one of their classes throughout the day). I mean, when I was still a student, and I saw one of our players the next day in class after a tough loss, who looked quite down, I felt for him. Instead, we now have a student body who wouldn't bat an eyelash towards Savvis and our boys, unless it was to say "help out their frat/sorority for points", or to come to a "Louisville upset-type" of game. Someone needs to come up with a way to get the STUDENT BODY to these games to help make noise! Hopefully one of these days our fans will become the wonderful majority student body crowds most other big name colleges enjoy. Until we can pull more in, you'll still be able to hear that pin drop most of the game.

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago...we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....HIT IT!"

Blues Brothers

As a Flyer alumni I receive a notice a few weeks ago about a Dayton alumni-organized pep rally/ get together event at the Top Shelf before the game. Apparently it was very well attended and Brian Gregory came and gave a talk. It was relatively cheap with drink tickets and included a game ticket. It could explain why so many people were there.

People are shocked to hear it but Dayton has a huge draw from St. Louis. In my class from DeSmet (1994) we had about 10 people (of 150) go there and similar percentages from other private high schools.

SLU has around 9,000 students 6,000 undergrad. Of that maybe 1,000 are greek. Of the student crowds at the game I would venture to say that a majority of them, 60% are greek. So let's not bash those in fraternities or sororities. I feel they could do more but everyone else could do a hell of a lot more.

The large amount of old people are the killers of the atmospere. They make it hostile to those who would stand and cheer and most of them don't even wear blue. Come on put on some blue or at least wear a SLU hat. There are some old people who are exceptions but in general their bad. The young alumni who still live in the city around Box and One's age should be the ones showing up and adding to the atmosphere also. If I lived in town I would try to never miss a game.

I for one was impressed with the Dayton turnout. Had to compliment their cheering section that was sitting behind us. I wish our fans traveled as well. Blue Crew could have taken some pointers from the Dayton cheering....if any of them had been at the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing greek at all. I usually do see quite a bit of them at the games. What I meant by that comment was their WHOLE frat/sorority doesn't come out unless they're trying to earn points, only a group comes, and it usually is only a couple of frats/sororities at best. But if ALL of them came, imagine how THAT MUCH louder the fan-base could be. Sorry if I offended anyone.

However, I totally agree with the older folks killing the atmosphere as I said in my last post. We NEED the student body/young alumni to start showing up! Well, maybe I'll ask Santa for Christmas with this one......or maybe all of our students/young alumni who don't show up should make a New Year's resolution perhaps?

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago...we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....HIT IT!"

Blues Brothers

I'm starting to think that we all need to sit in the same section so as to show the rest of the crowd how it's done.

There technically is a young alumni section, which I sit in, section 120. Anyone who has graduated from SLU within the last five years qualifies for dicounted season tickets (I finished my master's in 2001), but there are very few fans in my section. I don't think they've publicized the deal enough - if I weren't such a cheap skate, I probably wouldn't have found out about the discount.

After my first two years in college (Spoon's first two NCAA appearances), getting friends to go to the games with me proved difficult, and the ridiculous thing was that many of the guys who didn't want to go to the games could be found back at the house watching some other schools play on ESPN. Pretty much indicative of the kind of students who are at SLU right now.

Which should've been another one of my points, which you hit right on the head. These students today have very little pride in one of the biggest things that gives a name to SLU. Take for example U of Ilinois...granted they're recognized as a good academic school, but what are they more known for? That's right.....BASKETBALL!!! I don't think it would kill even half of our student body to buy a ticket, get a ride, take the metro, WHATEVER, get down to Savvis, and cheer a little bit. I know a lot of people go home over break, but what about the rest of the season. What was the saying, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?" Hmmmmmmmm, kinda fitting for our student body if you ask me.

And for the record, you all really should sit in the same section, but I have my own, making all that "noise" during the ENITRE game. Go pitch-approximaters, GO!!!!! Sorry, had to get it out of my system.

Blues Brothers

doesnt illinois have 5x the oncampus students as slu? i think they are not a fair comparison.

however, brad said at the last billiken club meeting that gonzaga's students were all dressed in red shirts, filled the entire side across from the benches and were at the game screaming at the billikens shooting around an hour before tipoff (not just some, all of them). he said they never sat down and during the game were bouncing up and down the entire live action.

since gonzaga's arena is about the fourth the size of savvis, that description means they have probably 1000 to 1500 students there every game. that is the example our student body needs to emulate.

Good point Roy, sorry to not have taken scale to size, your Zags comparison is better, was only trying to make the point we just need more of our fan base to be those 1000, 1500, maybe even 2,000 student fan section for every home game. That'd be sweet.....ahhhhhhhh wishful thinking is good sometimes....

Blues Brothers

When the group of Dayton students was kicked out of the area earmarked for SLU students, even though no one was sitting there, one of them sarcastically made the following remark to those of us in the band, "Nice student section." Without thinking twice about it I turned around and told them that I knew that our student section stunk and I wouldn't argue otherwise. I don't care if it is Christmas break or not. Even during break SLU has probably 3,000-4,000 of their undergraduate students in St. Louis, and if they can't get more than what they had, it's pretty pathetic. There are some students who really care and show that, but that number needs to be multiplied.

While I didn't take a head count, I would venture to guess that there were more Dayton students at the game than SLU students. If the UD guidebook I still have from when I was looking at colleges a few years ago is somewhat accurate, the University of Dayton has around 200 students from the state of Missouri. So, SLU has about 15-20 times as many students in the area as UD, yet Dayton students end up probably outdrawing SLU students. PATHETIC.

Now, my tirade does not end with the SLU students. Every time a team visits Savvis with a decent fan contingent, they consistently are louder and seem to care more about the game than SLU fans. Some teams that have done this that I can remember off the top of my head include Dayton, SIUC, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Arizona. These people are far and away outcheering SLU fans when SLU has far more people in the arena.

The only times I've attended games outside of St. Louis have been the past two conference tourneys and the NIT game last March against Notre Dame in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but each of those times I witnessed an enthusiasm displayed by fans that I've rarely or never seen at SLU games. When we played Cincy in the semifinals of the C-USA tourney last season in Cincinnati, I couldn't help but wonder how cool it would be if SLU fans were this enthusiastic about their team. It was a great atmosphere. Whenever a UC player would hit a three, the entire arena would erupt with every UC fan there standing up and going nuts. It was a very similar situation in Fort Wayne a few weeks later.

Face it everyone: As a whole, the enthusiasm shown by SLU basketball fans is a EMBARRASSMENT to one of the fundamental characteristics of college basketball; passion from its fans.

Now, let me say that I have met a number of people from this board and you guys are great fans. SLU just needs more of you. You need to be seen and heard. The quiet ones just bring the rest of you down. I don't care if people think you are too loud and give you dirty looks. If they give you dirty looks, yell louder. At an important time in the game, yell at everyone around you to get off their butts and make some noise. If they want to go to a place that's quiet and peaceful, they can go to church.

I realize that a team with only two wins at this point may not be the easiest team to rally around and get excited about, but I don't care. I want to see people at Savvis Center acting like REAL college basketball fans, not a symphony crowd. I want to see a large student section that makes its presence felt every game. I want the Savvis Center to be known as a very tough environment for visiting teams to play in.

I want a true college basketball atmosphere.