Jurassic Billiken Basketball

Give Triangle a Coach --

That goes intoo the locker room after a victory and says that “the victory was acomplished by great team defense†and Too will show you a liar (or a dinosaur). The fact is that the winning team scored more points than the losers. Coaches like too puff out their chests during interviews and stress defense while they are secretly smiling about how they had 3 or 4 scorers in those double digits. It boils down too this - “OUR OFFENSE BEAT YOUR DEFENSEâ€. Something Coach (The Dinosaur) Soderberg will never say. The name of the game is OFFENSE - the players enjoy it and the fans flock too enjoy it. You need too change Coach (The Dinosaur) Soderberg! Get Brown in there (AD on the bench). Get Vash “the dash†in there, immediately, if not sooner. Reggie and DP are the men - get too the lane as quickly as possible, this could be a very quick lineup. Quit throwng those courtside tantrums about defensive lapses - it is a joke. One big man for the occasional (very occasional) inside pass and for rebounding (a smaller but much quicker lineup CAN REBOUND TOO Coach (The Dinosaur) Soderberg). OPEN UP THE GAME WITH THE QUICKNESS OF THE TEAM ,hell you recruited the quickness. You have them thinking that they can’t shoot without running around making 5 passes and setting 4 screens hoping for the perfect wide open shot.

On defense - throw a “zone†in there once in awhile just too give a different look too the opposing team’s offense and too give Triangle's starters (who should be playing at least 30 minutes a game) a little break. KEEP our Billiken basketball program from a Jurassic age (if they haven't already), Coach Dinosaur, you need too change.

so it goes.

TT, do the names Fennis Dembo, Hank Gathers, Nick Weatherspoon, and Marcus Liberty ring a bell with you? How about the Rush brothers? They all are (or were) great offensive talents, but were practicioners of the world famous "ole" defense. Unless they played on a great defensive team, none would see the second round of the NCAA, because good tournament teams most often were about making sure the other team scored LESS than you did, not vice versa.

Moocow, the next time you flip on your lights in the dorm room, mull over the fact that the electricity you use is generated by about 60 pounds of ceramicized Uranium 235 salt complexes. People took enough time to figure how constraints could foster energy production from stupid little gobs of ore salt, and evryone found out the system actually worked!

The deep thought of the day is - take care of the mundane and get all the grains of salt to fall into their appropriate spot. Go to all(uh at least most) of your classes, do all the assigned work and more, be nice to everyone, especially the ladies, and go to work on time. Sooner or later, you may find antagonizing people just because you can do it without penalty actually can harm you, defense can win games when a chaos offense disappears, and that every dog has its day. Right now you have the luxury of thinking you know everything, but life is waiting 'round the corner to disabuse you of that belief.

While I normally do not pay much attention to TT's posts - I do have to admit that he may be on to something somewhat. My concern was that Brad would calm down and retrench has been played out according to the Post article today. I hope Brad is correct but the real question that has to be asked is - Are the players we are using now playing up to their ability or below? The answer to that question is key to how to proceed. Brad thinks they are playing below but why would he not think that - afterall, he evaluated their talent and picked them. Not likely he will easily want to admit he might be wrong. I disagree with TT that defense does not win games - truth is it takes both defense and offense to win - one way to out score your opponent is to score enough to win by holding them to scoring less. My concern is that the current starters are playing good defense but have not scored so is the issue that they have to play better overall defense or figure out how to score more. I really think that this group is scoring challenged. If the big men can not shoot better than 30% from close in then the perimeter shooters will have a tough time getting open. TT has a point that maybe we need to put more scoring in the game but that does not mean we have to stop playing good defense. I hope Brad knows what he doing because if this continues, this will be a major step back for the program.

If I had to assess who is playing up to their abilities without regard to injuries ... results only here are my thoughts

DP ... a little below ... he has done a good job running the offense and creating what should be easy baskets ... but he has to shoot better and I beleive he can.

RB ... below ... he needs to shoot and break out of this slump ... I beleive he will.

VN ... hard to say ... we are just learning who he is ... in practices I thought he would do a better job on the boards and add 10 pts a game.

IO ... above ... he still doesn't go as strong to the basket as I wish he would ... but he has been good on the boards and the best player on the team so far.

TF ... below ... he has not made easy shots and has been in a little foul trouble. His 57% shooting last year says he can ... but 4 shots a game won't cut it.

IV ... below ... he is playing soft ... he looked like he was going to be more aggressive in practices ...but has not brought that to the games.

AD ... as expected ... hustles all the time has shot ok ... but has committed some turnovers at inoportune times.

BH ... above ... I have been a supporter ...but didn't expect a game like he played at ORU ... would like to see more.

DB ... above ... I didn't expect anything ... and he has been good in spurts.

The main people that need to play up to par are TF, RB and DP. We need them to win.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

He's got a point. Brad tells us that his ultimate goal is to be a fast break, running team. So let's see it. Think back to the Hawaii game when we went on the 14-0 run, how did we do it? We were running the whole time. There was energy in the Savis, people were out of their seats cheering. Shoot, the players were pumped too and it showed. I remember Polk yelling and hitting his chest at the defensive side of the court because he was so fired up. Work with that, let them have fun. You're more likely to do better when you enjoy your job. It was fast basketball and did our defense break down? No, it did not. We've prooved that we can play defense but let them run. We, allegidly, run a motion offense. The name of our offense is a verb and all we do is stand around. Pretty soon the pigeons are going to start pooping on us out there. Don't abandon the defense we've developed but open the game up more.