Bench Bryant?

SluSignGuy

With Bryant hurt, and struggling last game because of it. (Along with 8 turnovers). Do we just bench him, and rest him until Saturday? I love Bryant, and he is the best player on this team. And perhaps last night was just a bad night. But I am almost inclined to see what Meyer or Clarke can do on two good ankles.

Boy has this tournament been a disaster.

Steve

If Reg is benched and we persist in running the high screen followed by the catch and shoot 18-20 footer, it's not going to make much difference.

I wouldn't even let these guys shoot a perimeter J until Frericks, Ohanon and Vouyoukas have established a presence inside the free throw line first. The only guys who should be slashing are Polk, Newborne, Meyer and Brown. The the only guys whould be jacking up threes are Meyer and Clarke. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Whether Reggie plays or not, I'd like to see us attack the basket with our bigs. It's hard to tell what's been going on without actually being there (or seeing on TV) but it sounds like we have been settling for jump shots and continuing to do so even when cold. Time to see what the big dogs can do underneath. Clearly these guys would have had their way against AP and fouled out the entire front line in the process (if you heard the AP announcers, this was their greatest fear--the huge size differential SLU possessed).

the fact that ian and frericks together in minutes played dont equal a whole game tells us that there is very little interest in developing any kind of inside game. i agree with you though. frericks in particular has to play and be used as more than an obstacle under the basket.

hmmm. i dont get to many practices but the couple i have been to, and the two exhibition games never led me to believe that vashun had jjitis. but i know you watch far more practices than i do and i will give that some room. hell, it is an explanation. at this point in time we have no clue as to what is going on since we didnt get to see the two games.

I don't know what was up with our bigs at all. Can they not get open inside? Can our guards not get them the ball if they are? Can the bigs finish if they do get it? I don't know the answer ... but the 2 games so far have been very dissapointing. They shot 31 free throws to our 14. That is a huge difference. We also only shot 33% from the field if you take IO away. 1-14 from the 3.

The anouncers both games commented on our open looks. DP, RB, and AD have to shoot better than 9-32 from the field and 1-13 from the 3. If you take away their 3 point attempts they were 8-19 from the floor. These guys should hit those shots. Those 3 shooting 13 three's in a game is also not out of line. If they hit just 4 of 13 for 30% we win by 6. 5 of 13 we win by 9 ... maybe more because it is a different game. Hopefully they shoot better tonight.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

i'll tell you this, while i am not ready to jump on the band wagon, btween 3 star and mr frericks,i have really been thinking for the first time in coach soderberg's reign about our offense. i can tell you this, i plan to really begin to watch the offense a lot closer than i have in the past. i am an old school basketball guy and i have long believed you have to have somekind of an inside game to be successful. hell even spoon had and USED donnie dobbs.

Bills lose by three to EMU 61-58. Bills shoot 1-14 from the 3pt line with the team's best 3pt shooters going 0-11. You want to fix the offense..... then have our prime-time players make a couple of 3's.

EMU shoots 31 free throws vs the Bills 14 free throws. You want to win a very tight game.....well, stop the fouling and don't give the opponent 17 more free throws in a game that wasn't decided until the last few seconds.

It's interesting (but not surprising) that when a posters favorite player(s) don't perform well, then it's the coach's offensive system is the problem. Right!

I agree Roy ...

Together TF and IV played 37 minutes. Took only 5 shots making 3. They had a respectable 8 rebounds and we outrebounded E Mich. 33-31. My question would be why so few shots? Can we not get the ball to them or can they not get free inside?

IO played the 4 and probably had his best game as a Billiken. I also wonder why we played VN only 10 min, DC and DB 7 min between them along with LM 13 min. That left us in a 3 guard lineup of RB, DP, and AD for over 30 minutes of the game.

The total stats for our 4 and 5 positions were 30 pts and 16 rbs in 70 minutes. Their bigs scored 25pts and had 14 rbs in 74 mins. Our bigs also blocked 5 shots to their 3. Take away the offense of our bigs and we were 11 of 37 from the field and 1-14 from the 3. We were also up 9 in the second half and our guards turned the ball over continuosly down the stretch. Again if our guards ony shoot 4-14 from the 3 ... we win by 6 and score 67 points. This game was not lost by our bigs ... it was lost by our guards poor shooting and 18 turnovers along with our inability to get to the free throw line.

Perhaps part of the cause of the Billikens' poor offense was the international three-point line and the lane configuration (I don't know for sure, but I think they are using the international lane that's wider on the baseline than at the free-throw line). I suspect they didn't adequately prepare for the differences.

We just have a difference in philosphy. After you go 0-7 from three, the answer isn't to shoot seven more threes just because they're open. Attack the basket so you can get a 12 foot attempt or even better, get to the line. Employ the pick and roll, use back cuts, take your man off the dribble and shoot the mid-range jumper, etc.

KShoe and I were talking about offensive stagnation before the season even started.

I don't think u bench any of the guys. U put them right back out there and let them get used to playing with each other. These are veteren players with a different point guard leading the pack and he's new to College Basketball. The are gonna have to learn how to play together. Some of u who were in practices how often did this line up practice together, on the same team? I don't know, I'm just thinking if the guards get the blame, give them a chance to redeem themselves. I"m not being pompus, but I doubt the game would change if Reg or Drejaj were bench, it would just take them that much longer to lose the ice that they're apparently building up.

3star, with all do respect:

you call for 12 footers, screen & rolls, back cuts, taking your man off the dribble, mid-range jumpers......

what you listed above is exactly what the motion offense gives when it is executed properly by the cutters (perimeter players) and the screeners (the post players). The Billiken's practice this offense every, every day. The perimeter players have their separate shooting drills highlighting 3pters, the 12 footers, cutting off of dummy screens or multiple screens and shooting in the lane, using cut-back moves to shake a tight defender for a shot in the lane or near the rim, etc., etc. This is the motion offense.

the motion offense gives the perimeter players as much or more freedom than any other offense. But your need EXECUTION by both the screeners and the cutter/guards (good, timely cuts and solid, timely screens) and in the end you need to MAKE the shot!

Brad is always preaching that the best screener end up getting the best big-men shots, either the 10-12 footer or the shot in the low post, near the rim. It's true, but again it is about execution.

But if Reggie is hurt, should we play him. He had one of his worst games (From the stat line only) yesterday. I think it should be considered. I know we need to work on getting this offense working, but we need a win. If Reggie can contribute, GREAT, but if not. Let's just get the damn win.

Steve

"what you listed above is exactly what the motion offense gives when it is executed properly by the cutters (perimeter players) and the screeners (the post players). The Billiken's practice this offense every, every day"

Maybe you saw it at the practices you attended but I've yet to see, for example Polk/Ohanon or Bryant/Frericks practice the pick and roll in a scrimmage situation. Anybody can do it in a two on two drill.

Not a broken record at all, but that could explain this bad playing. I think the guys have to take responsibility for their bad playing and step up. The veteren's have to take the leadership role and lead, by example of course. I heard Brad's comments after the game and he said, he focused on defense that he wasn't worried about the offense, but that he knew Reg and Drejaj felt bad enough, that he didn't have to comment, but he didn't expect them to continue playing that way. I think that's true. The guys have to get used to each other's game, their passing, the running all of it. We'll see in a minute.

Something just doesn't add up here. I don't see coach playing Reg if he is hurt to the point where it affects his game. It's not like we are thin at that position. Unfortunately, i think we will have to wait till we see it in person, and hopefully when we do the team will be playing better. I do agree on keeping the same lines together if everybody is healthy. Reggie got his points in the first game and not in the second game. That tells me that why he may not be 100%, his ankle is not affecting his gaem completely. He probably just had an off night. I would not bench him if I knew his ankle wasn't causing problems. Reg has to find his groove and he won't on the bench. We've known AD to be more streaky, so it could have not been his night. I am SO puzzled on Frericks not getting more minutes. And I am equally as puzzled about VN. If you really think about everything that's been posted, it sounds like not much was going right. It's a wonder we weren't completely blown out.

if reggie is hurt, he has no business playing at all let alone 30+ minutes a game. the fact we havent seen the old reggie speaks loudly that he probably is hurt. my question is with the amount of talent we seem to have at the wing, why the need to risk making an injury even worse? let's let him get well if he is hurt.

I completely disagree with benching Reggie ... RB has history ... let him play ... he is cold, a shooter shoots and then shoots some more. Drejaj is a different story ... his history is to be very streaky ... so that is a different story, though my impression from the radio was that he was playing good D and had a few steals. We were also up 9 ... turnovers let them back in.