Duq over The Bills by 6

Post season A-10.....NCAA...Day 7th seed (unch)....NIT chances....Loy...86% up...Rich...68% up...UMass...54% unch

Game Preview....We got bombed last time we played Duq...81-66...This should have never happened....We  have a much better offense  than Duq...even with our poor D we should not have given up 81 pts.  If we play the D that we have for the last couple of games , we can win this contest.  First, let's start with Grant.  He is a good player BUT he had his best game of the A10 season against us.  He scored 15 pts over his season average.  Hmm...15 ...that sounds familiar ...oh yeah that was the margin of defeat in that last game we played Duq.  Stop him and we win.  The good news was we won the TO battle BUT we lost the game because we lost both of the categories we needed to win after the TOs...FG%(bad 3 P shooting) and Rebs.   The computer found in that last game a few players underperformed their season average....Jimerson needed 5 more pts and 2 more rebs....Hughes needed 3 more pts and 2 more rebs and Medley needed 4 more pts.  By making their averages we pick up 15pts when adjusted for a neutral court....again the margin of defeat.   Finally, Clark usually has 2-3 steals / game...he had 6 against us ....Who every he is guarding is going to have to protect the ball...6 steals against is not a winning stat.  

This game is very winnable ...if we make shots (the slash) and don't give up TOs (to Clarke) and play some D on Grant.

Let's look at the card....

Report Card.... 

The Card is down.....1 up ( Def) and 1 down (Off)

.................SLU............DUQ................SLU...................DUQ

...........................OFF........................................DEF..........

PPG............B-..................D...................F........................A-

FG%...........C+..................D+................D-......................B

3P%...........A-..................C-.................F.........................B

FT%...........B+...................C.............................

Reb...........D......................C..................C-......................C+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....none...FG%.....Def....FG%

Down.........Off...3P%......Def...none

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

Min /gm...Jimerson ...38th...up

Duq

Blks...Dixon...54th...dn

Stls...Clark...10th...up

FT%...Grant ...2nd up

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills...

Parker...Quest....3/12...Shoulder

Meadows...OFS...3/5...back

Curcic...OFS...2/29...Foot

Duq..

None

Keys to the Game....... Stop Grant...Don't let Clarke steal...make some 3s

WWN2D2W...Slash...46/37/75....Here are The Bills that need to have a better game than last time we played Duq ...Jimerson...17Pts 3 reb....Hughes 8pts...3 rebs...Medley 4 pts ...4 rebs.....Hold Grant to 16 pts and don't foul him either...Hold Clark to 2 steals...Hold Duq to 71 pts

Bottom line.........Duq is a team that in its last game  barely eked out a 2 pt win against a flailing GW.  If we can just shoot average and play the same D that we have for the last couple of games we can win this one.

Turn Dae Dae into nay nay and we can win win.

I did watch this game, I think the small chance that SLU had to beat Duquesne evaporated with Zheng in the last few minutes, things might have gone with Van Bussel and Hargrove in, even if Hargrove fouled out. Let's hope for a better situation for next year. 

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I did watch this game, I think the small chance that SLU had to beat Duquesne evaporated with Zheng in the last few minutes, things might have gone with Van Bussel and Hargrove in, even if Hargrove fouled out. Let's hope for a better situation for next year. 

Hargrove had just one foul.

I will make this short and sweet.   1 stat  and 1 thought.

The stat...13-5  TOs...we lost the TO battle again which means auto loss.

The thought...I heard the TV announcers say TOs were a problem (not quite right).  I heard Ford say at the beginning of the season,   we want a target of 10-12 /gm....mission accomplished....11.6....which gives us a C+ ...above average ...good enough to win some games.  But the real TO issue was opponent TOs,   where we finished 319...F+.  We couldn't get teams to turn the ball over and this was the key to our poor defense.  No game  better exemplifies this than the La Tech game.  We gave up 10 TOs...that is a nice number ...that is a  grade of A ....BUT in the La Tech  we did something that hadn't been done in decades... our opponent had zero TOs.  And the good looking 10 TOs turned ugly....fortunately in that case we pulled out a win with sky high shooting (54/56/73) Unfortunately,  that strategy of trying to win games that you lose the TO battle didn't work out too well for the whole season.

Hopefully, the new guy will put some emphasis on Defense and we will see opponent TOs return to a more normal number.

A new beginning...again

Soderball likes this

The Wiz, thanks for all the great analysis and prognostications on the Bills’ games. When it’s gameday and there’s no The Wiz breakdown yet, I’m like what’s going on with The Wiz?

Is it really 8 months until we get ‘24-25 pre-season forecast? Counting down the days.

22 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

The Wiz, thanks for all the great analysis and prognostications on the Bills’ games. When it’s gameday and there’s no The Wiz breakdown yet, I’m like what’s going on with The Wiz?

Is it really 8 months until we get ‘24-25 pre-season forecast? Counting down the days.

Thanks...

I have one more post to do which will be the 23-24 season wrap...I will do that once the last A-10 team is done playing for the year.

In the meantime...here is what post season chances look like for the A-10...

NCAA... Day...6-7th seed

NIT...Loy ...87% up...Rich...64% dn...UMass...52% dn

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

So once again it looks like that at the Big Dance, the A10 will continue to dance to the tune of “The Juan Bid Tango”…

Yes...I think that was always the plan by the NCAA for the A-10....there is still an outside chance for a 2nd bid....Rich defeats Day in the final game but still a long shot.

Btw, in the fantasy game today I have Day over The Bills by 13.