GDT: SLU v. Drake

SluSignGuy

5 hours ago, thunderdan said:

His size will hold him back (but, if he was bigger, he wouldn't be HERE), but Medley looks like a player.  I'm excited about his future (assuming he'll be here all 4 years). 

Also excited about Curcic.  Plays with intensity on both sides of the floor, looks to have a sweet shot, and has a bit of an edge. 

I’m not letting myself get emotionally attached to any one player on this roster, because entire roster turnover might be the cost of replacing Ford (worth it IMO). But I do think Curcic, Medley, Thames, Zhang, and even SVB could develop nicely under a coach who does that sort of thing (you know, player development).  With that said, a new coach could bring in an entirely new roster that is miles better than our current one in one offseason. We’ve already seen it from multiple opposing teams this season.  THROW THE DAMN TOWEL. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m not letting myself get emotionally attached to any one player on this roster, because entire roster turnover might be the cost of replacing Ford (worth it IMO). But I do think Curcic, Medley, Thames, Zhang, and even SVB could develop nicely under a coach who does that sort of thing (you know, player development).  With that said, a new coach could bring in an entirely new roster that is miles better than our current one in one offseason. We’ve already seen it from multiple opposing teams this season.  THROW THE DAMN TOWEL. 

Jimerson & Parker are the only guys it is critical to try and keep.

Thames would be very nice to keep around, and i think it's likely as he is a local guy. LHJ2 is also not going anywhere imo.

Curcic and Zhang have potential but are replaceable talent.

There's not much on this roster to really get attached to. Ford's horrendous recruiting class this year is the primary driver for why he has to GO. He's loading this team up like Jim Crews did.

ALSO: you seriously need to get over the "player development" thing. That's before instant transfers and before NIL. You are on old man college basketball. This is cut-throat, mercenary, and guys are year-to-year. If they can't play they can't play and need to go somewhere else. Bring in guys who can PLAY NOW.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The same thing has been going on for some time here - whether it was Yuri, Jordan, or Perkins - Ford's offense is not one that involves the entire team.  With no real big man to go high low and high again his offense is just what you said - standing around watching the guy with the ball.

This is a fair point. It functioned a lot more like that when Has was around. When of his great under-rated strengths was passing. We often had excellent ball movement in the half court. That skill from a big left with Has and hasn't been replaced.

6 minutes ago, ACE said:

This is a fair point. It functioned a lot more like that when Has was around. When of his great under-rated strengths was passing. We often had excellent ball movement in the half court. That skill from a big left with Has and hasn't been replaced.

Francis was good at it also once he settled in

Missed the game so just got to watch the replay. Fun first half followed by a nightmarish second half for Jimerson, who went 1-8 with five turnovers, and missed the front end of a one and one late. There were three crucial point-blank layups missed that kept the game close. Jimerson had a miss then his own tap follow that wouldn’t fall, Medley had one as well, and, of course, Dalger had his nightly layup miss.

As bad as Dalger played in the first he made up for it in the second with several good buckets, free throws, and hustle plays. If only that layup would’ve dropped. 

Thought Medley played well, Bruce had a good first half, and for not ever having played point I thought Curcic did an excellent job.

After reading all the criticism of Ford in the thread, I don’t see it in terms of that game. Who expects Jimerson to go brain dead with bad turnovers and then combine that with crucial misses where the offense was in position to produce layups and the players couldn’t convert.

Most likely, it’ll be a disappointing season, Ford will be let go, the board will erupt in glee, and the cycle will start again. Still, that performance gives you a glimmer of hope, emphasis on glimmer, that if Sincere can return to his early season form, Bruce continues to develop, Jimerson stops turning it over, and players make layups, maybe we pull a shocker in the A-10 Tourney.