OT: USMNT Call Up for CONCACAF Nations League

The players really liked Soderberg too.  Who cares. 

Too much drama with this and he didn't find a way to make it work with Reyna. He made it worse by alluding to the whole thing in public.  He aired the team's dirty laundry.  

The team needed Reyna, they couldn't about goals he has the ability to create for his team mates.  You have to find a way to get him to put in the effort. GB didn't do that and he met expectations.  Yeah they looked good vs England but they still lost.  We should've been able to beat a Wales team with a 68 year old Gareth Bale. 

Just frustrated that all that change over all that restructuring was a sound and fury signifying nothing. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Too much drama with this and he didn't find a way to make it work with Reyna. He made it worse by alluding to the whole thing in public.  He aired the team's dirty laundry.  

The team needed Reyna, they couldn't about goals he has the ability to create for his team mates.  You have to find a way to get him to put in the effort. GB didn't do that and he met expectations.  Yeah they looked good vs England but they still lost.  We should've been able to beat a Wales team with a 68 year old Gareth Bale. 

Just frustrated that all that change over all that restructuring was a sound and fury signifying nothing. 

It is hard to get that excited about the return of GB to the head coach roll. Did all the smoke about Reyna and his parents make everyone forget that we underperformed in the World Cup? I’m not sure we had any realistic chance of beating England, but we should have beaten Wales and gotten to the round of 16. It was major underperformance that everyone forgot about.

On the other hand, if they really did perform a worldwide search, and the best they could find who was interested in the job was GB, then the job of USMNT head coach may not be all that desirable of a job after all. (maybe it’s related to all the off field drama that gets generated around the program?

The decision has been made, and it’s not going to be unmade (unless more drama surfaces), so I’ll shut up and get back to rooting for the USA. But any further underperformance by the team cannot be ignored the way it was in 2022.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I have a suspicion that the timing on this rehire is not at all accidental. Gives Gregg a pass for Nations League and Gold Cup.  If he’s coaching and we lose to a mediocre Mexico last night, or flop in Gold Cup, the calls to fire him just get louder. Now he’s got a free pass at least through 2024 Copa America, and probably all the way to World Cup 2026. 

see Bob Bradley in 2011 for a prime example of what I’m talking about… reached same stage in previous year’s World Cup, loses to Mexico in Gold Cup, fired. 

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I have a suspicion that the timing on this rehire is not at all accidental. Gives Gregg a pass for Nations League and Gold Cup.  If he’s coaching and we lose to a mediocre Mexico last night, or flop in Gold Cup, the calls to fire him just get louder. Now he’s got a free pass at least through 2024 Copa America, and probably all the way to World Cup 2026. 

see Bob Bradley in 2011 for a prime example of what I’m talking about… reached same stage in previous year’s World Cup, loses to Mexico in Gold Cup, fired. 

Most likely you are correct. The annoying part about you being correct is that it implies they wanted to bring back Gregg all along, and were just looking for the right moment.

For those who watched both matches, is Balogun  the answer?  First match to me he was somewhat tentative but yesterday a better performance. Of course the other 10 on the pitch has to get used to him also. 

Reyna was pretty good last night but injured again. Glad we are showing a little midfield depth. 

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

For those who watched both matches, is Balogun  the answer?  First match to me he was somewhat tentative but yesterday a better performance. Of course the other 10 on the pitch has to get used to him also. 

Reyna was pretty good last night but injured again. Glad we are showing a little midfield depth. 

Balogun is clearly better than any other 9 we have. His run and movement off the ball for the 2nd goal was fantastic. He has the ability to make a play on his own. Just 2 games but imo it doesn’t appear close. 

Reyna was fantastic. The trio in the middle of McKennie, Reyna, and Musah was so much more dynamic offensively than when Adams is there. It’s a nice problem to have and match ups may dictate who plays moving forward. Reyna is clearly the the best creator of the 4. The Reyna on the wing idea should be over. 

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Balogun is clearly better than any other 9 we have. His run and movement off the ball for the 2nd goal was fantastic. He has the ability to make a play on his own. Just 2 games but imo it doesn’t appear close. 

Reyna was fantastic. The trio in the middle of McKennie, Reyna, and Musah was so much more dynamic offensively than when Adams is there. It’s a nice problem to have and match ups may dictate who plays moving forward. Reyna is clearly the the best creator of the 4. The Reyna on the wing idea should be over. 

My opinion is that Adams is our best defensive midfielder.  He is the link between the back line and the attacking midfielders.  I think we also saw a little depth along the backline.  Two replacements from the Mexico match, and not many problems.  Richards was clearly a star. 

My other observation, or question, has both Mexico and Canada taken a step back or has the US taken a step up.  For Mexico, clearly they are on the downswing (fired their coach after 7 matches).  I wasn't surprised at how the US controlled that game.  I was expecting a little more from our friends up north, but they didn't deliver.  Last year Canada was quite impressive.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

My opinion is that Adams is our best defensive midfielder.  He is the link between the back line and the attacking midfielders.  I think we also saw a little depth along the backline.  Two replacements from the Mexico match, and not many problems.  Richards was clearly a star. 

My other observation, or question, has both Mexico and Canada taken a step back or has the US taken a step up.  For Mexico, clearly they are on the downswing (fired their coach after 7 matches).  I wasn't surprised at how the US controlled that game.  I was expecting a little more from our friends up north, but they didn't deliver.  Last year Canada was quite impressive.

I agree Adam’s is the best defensive mid. However there will be games where user defense in trade for more offense at the position makes sense. I’m just loving the fact that we have so many attacking options. Over the last 30 years, the US sometimes seemed like a team with no real attacking kids and 763 defensive mids. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was the USA "B" team against the #136 St.Kitts and Nevis CYC team, but the atmosphere and game were well worth the ticket price.  21,216 (yeah short of a sell out) of us enjoyed the evening.

Several players stood out, Djordje Mihailovic, (2 goals and 2 assists) and Jesus Ferreira (hat trick).Gianluca Busio was solid particularly his assist for Mihailovic but only played the first half, and defender Brian Reynolds netted his first USMNT goal.  All four should be given continued chances for inclusion on the "A" team.

Zendajas, Sonora and Cowell really didn't show well last night, but they will get more opportunities in this Gold Cup tourney.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, it was the USA "B" team against the #136 St.Kitts and Nevis CYC team, but the atmosphere and game were well worth the ticket price.  21,216 (yeah short of a sell out) of us enjoyed the evening.

Several players stood out, Djordje Mihailovic, (2 goals and 2 assists) and Jesus Ferreira (hat trick).Gianluca Busio was solid particularly his assist for Mihailovic but only played the first half, and defender Brian Reynolds netted his first USMNT goal.  All four should be given continued chances for inclusion on the "A" team.

Zendajas, Sonora and Cowell really didn't show well last night, but they will get more opportunities in this Gold Cup tourney.

Conflicted with my work schedule last night sadly. Sep 9th the USMNT will be back in town vs Uzbekistan in a friendly. Looks like the atmosphere at CityPark has impressed US Soccer.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Conflicted with my work schedule last night sadly. Sep 9th the USMNT will be back in town vs Uzbekistan in a friendly. Looks like the atmosphere at CityPark has impressed US Soccer.

The best part of last night's matches was that we got to sit.  For City games, everyone, all 22,000, stand for the full 90.  

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ya atmosphere paled in comparison to city games but definitely was a great time. 

Just announced that game will be Gregg Berhalters first game back. Should be interesting.

Would like to see Ferreira get a move to Europe.  He feasts on the minnows of CONCACAF, but is often a no show against better teams.  He needs to push himself and see if he can get to the next level. He’s clearly got talent, and he’s still pretty young, but he’s at risk of being passed up by other guys in the pool.  

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya atmosphere paled in comparison to city games but definitely was a great time. 

Just announced that game will be Gregg Berhalters first game back. Should be interesting.

Two home matches vs Uzbekistan and Oman. Lmfao.  Really making sure Greggg 2.0 starts out with two wins huh?