SLU Field Hockey

Lord Elrond

So is there an issue with the Field Hockey field at Sportport? They Monday game was moved to MICDS, now the Saturday game is at Principia, while the Sunday game is back at MICDS. Just curious, if any other SLU sport was being moved around like this it would cause questions.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's field 3. That purple and brown appears to be concession and seating. Again many tenants, probably scheduling. Queens may have needed an earlier game for earlier flight or a plethora of other things.

Weird that it would be 3 games in a row, though.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the beneficiaries of the influx of programs moving to Division 1 has been SLU Field Hockey. They have reached 4 wins for the first time since 2018. Wins over Stonehill, Lindenwood, Maryville and Queens. They will have their Senior Day vs fellow 0fer A10er Davidson at 1pm @ Principia on Friday. The last time they reached 5 wins was 2006 under Marcie Boyer but with a team built by the late Maria Whitehead. They went 7-9 overall and 3-4 in the A10.

What is field hockey's budget?  Lower level sports success is dictated largely on their finances.  How much would it take to tip the scales?  WOndering if the board could pool some small donations and jumpstart field hockey?  Would be an interesting experiment.

I really don't know much about women's field hockey except the standings.  We are 1 and 6 in conference beating only winless Davidson (interesting that Lock Haven University is in the A10 as well).  From an uninformed standpoint, the opponents we beat don't seem 'high level.'  Will gladly take an education on this one.

As a side note, the team may not have won a single game in my tenure as an undergrad 1975-79.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:23 PM, Lord Elrond said:

So is there an issue with the Field Hockey field at Sportport? They Monday game was moved to MICDS, now the Saturday game is at Principia, while the Sunday game is back at MICDS. Just curious, if any other SLU sport was being moved around like this it would cause questions.

What kind of questions? [e.g., which field is it on today, again?]

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If we have a true home, on campus, where is it played?

We don’t have a true home field. Field Hockey apparently requires an artificial surface, and the best places use something called “water turf” or something like that, supposedly makes the ball roll straighter or something (at least that’s what I found on the internet). It’s apparently expensive. SLU’s home field is listed as Sportport out on the Missouri River floodplain, but the second part of the season they’ve been playing at MICDS and Principia School in Wildwood, no real explanation given for the change in venue. I had thought Field Hockey was something that SLU started recently, but if you look back at the website it’s been around at SLU since 1975 (back in the AIAW days). 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What kind of questions? [e.g., which field is it on today, again?]

I don’t follow Field Hockey, but it caught my eye looking at the SLU website and I don’t like to see any SLU team getting shafted, regardless of what it is. One game I could see as a scheduling conflict, but the entire second half of the season was moved around out of Sportport. Looks more like SLU was pushed out mid-season.  At least that’s the most likely reason I can see.  Again, I don’t follow Field Hockey, but I don’t like seeing a SLU team getting made homeless in mid-season.