Jarod Leonard Info

>Maybe I have too high of expectations for Liddell but one

>really has to consider how many years he shall be at SLU

>before making himself eligible for the draft. He's not as

>highly touted as Larry the legend coming in ... but one

>should not dismiss the comparison. If I had to put money on

>it, I'd say Liddell stays 2 years. If so, that would mean

>Clarke and Liddell leave after Leonard's freshman year.

>

>It's kind of a catch22 with Liddell (assuming he does not

>weird out on us and jump ship at the last minute). If he is

>in a position to get drafted in the 1st round after 2 years,

>that means Tommie has had an outstanding first 2 years at

>SLU and we had good showings in the conference and NCAAs.

I have to agree with most of your post. I believe Liddell to be a 2 to 3 year player at SLU. As far as jumping ship Liddell Sr is very close to Soderberg. I don't see that happening and if he was mulling going elsewhere I don't think he would have made his recent campus visit.

wow.....2 years and then the draft? i am as big of a tommie liddell fan as there is (well maybe not as big as jalensdad) but he isnt a larry hughes. hughes and tatum carried that cbc team to fabulous heights. hughes carried that aau team to a national title. hughes carried a billiken team to an ncaa bid (let's not forget virtually the same team plus justin love was extremely mediocre the next season)

i have seen tommie do some wonderful things in spurts. but too often he just blended in as well. plus he is no where near the defender that hughes was and isnt as big as hughes was. if he is ready to be drafted in 2 years, he will have made some great strides over the next 3 seasons. i hope you are right, because that kind of success will mean the billikens went a long long way as well.

jjray, they will draft "bigs" on potential. wings and guards have to have the goods upfront. there are a lot of tommie liddell's out there trying to fulfill their potential.

i will agree with jalensdad on one thing...tommie was terribly used in high school. brooks did him nor flyer basketball a favor with the style he played or asking liddell to be as unselfish as he was. therefore i do agree that we probably havent seen the tip of the liddell iceberg yet. his third quarter vs belleville west last year, (west was the best team in southern illinois last year) was just a one man show as good as i have seen in the area for a high schooler in a long long time.

when tommie played xavier vs ofallon, tommie was on the way up yet. that would have been junior or before season. the senior season when price was at west, liddell outplayed price badly.

3 star, as long as he is being recruited by the big ten and such schools, the writer will say that. of course next november when he signs with the billikens that same writer will say, "jared cant shoot the three pointer". comes with the territory.

>>Larry Legend averaged 27 ppg and 29 ppg in his junior and

>>senior years of high school and then averaged 21 ppg as a

>>college freshman. Tommie is a very good player but that

>>isn't the type of offensive talent we're dealing with here.

>

>I won't argue those numbers, but how many shots did Hughes

>average in high school. Liddell averaged slightly more than

>12 per game. He also played for a 3 year coach who ran an

>offense that elevated his teammates to Liddell's level.

>Meaning Liddell teammates took an equal amount of shot. Any

>decent coach would KNOW better. I look beyond his numbers as

>Liddell played poorly or indifferent against inferior

>competition. When he faced the Vashon's, Belleville West's,

>and Carbondale's of the world he dominated on most

>occasions. I often talked to Bennie Lewis Sr at the games,

>he stated he would have ran Tommie at the 3 and turned him

>into a scorer as opposed to a distributor. People forget

>Liddell was not only his team's leading scorer, he was also

>the leading rebounder, assist man, steals, and blocks. He

>went into big games every night knowing that if he didn't

>play at a very high level, his team would lose.

>Julius Hodge does everything Liddell does plus he's more

>potent offensively and is two inches taller. Yet he's

>entering his senior year of college. That's just one

>example.

Time will tell. Liddell's stats from East Side don't really reflect the kid's talent. Whether he explodes on the scene in college is certainly a lot to expect.

>wow.....2 years and then the draft? i am as big of a tommie

>liddell fan as there is (well maybe not as big as jalensdad)

>but he isnt a larry hughes. hughes and tatum carried that

>cbc team to fabulous heights. hughes carried that aau team

>to a national title. hughes carried a billiken team to an

>ncaa bid (let's not forget virtually the same team plus

>justin love was extremely mediocre the next season)

Not as big as Hughes? They are both 6'5" with a large wingspan and Larry was rail thin at SLU. Tommie has a year of prep school to fill out. Maybe Liddell's listing is generous by an inch. As far as defense, let's see how that plays out. The tools are there.

http://highschoolelite.com/2004/liddell.html

Three years from now, we can revisit this discussion.

trust me, hughes was bigger both height and weight coming to slu than tommie was as of last march. not saying that hughes is any huge muscleman, he isnt. but tommie is still smaller.

but you do make a nice point that his year at prep school can make a big difference in size by the time he gets to grand at laclede.

Jarod came from nowhere to national attention. He seems to be a hard working student of the game, and we know he has great bloodlines. Based on how he seems to do at each upgrade in level, I would think he would expect a lot of minutes his first year with SLU and a probable starting job for the rest of his career. I don't see a period during my lifetime where highly skilled and motivated players leave SLU for lack of minutes. Since SLU has already offered, I think we should put him in the Liddell and Lisch category and expect great things from him if he signs. Apparently Brad does.

I for one can say Larry Hughes was a stick when he arrived at SLU.

Leonard has the potential to step into a college program and contribute right away. How much? How little? Still to be seen. But I think as long as he gets stronger, and continues to improve shooting range, it will be more at an earlier stage than some of the above mentioned recruits/players.

Telfair has been his classes best player since jr high. No one will deny that Stevenson was a mistake. He was the last pick in the first round by an old Utah Jazz team looking ahead for the future. He may not have been drafted if Utah had not taken him.

HS Big men can go several deep in the draft, guards and wings, we the most this past year with 2.

Hey I know a lot of you have dislike for the NBA game, and really don't follow it all that much, but here's some of the gossip I've heard lately which would effect people in Tommie's age group.

The NBA is heading for a lockout next season.

Two things might change after a lockout

1. No "second" round in the NBA Draft.

2. We might see some Baseball-Like Draft Rules

All rumors ... I think Tommie will get stuck at SLU (for three years at least), no matter how he does.