Who Ya Got, A-10 POY, COY and ROY

HoosierPal

League awards will come up next week.  As a primer, the Pre-Season Poll had 1) Richmond 2) SLU 3) Dayton,4) St. B, 5) Duquesne, 6) Rhode Island 7) Davidson, 8 ) UMass, 9) VCU and 10) George Mason.

First Team was Grady, Crutcher, Mitchell, Russell, Gilyard and Goodwin.  Ya, six.

So, what corrections are needed for Post Season Awards.  All opinions are valid, particularly if you agree with me 😎  I have trouble voting personal awards for anyone on a team in the bottom half of the league.  That's just my personal criteria.

ROY, (or Newcomer of the Year) I have to go with Baldwin.  He is 7th in the A10 in assists and 2nd in steals.  Plus he has run the VCU offense, putting them into second place. We have seen how he can score.

COY, several candidates, but I look at what Schmidt has done at St. B, what Paulson has done at George Mason, but I'm going with Rhodes at VCU.  He has a young team, picked to finish 9th and guides the team to 2nd. 

POY is where it gets interesting.  Again, any player on a team finishing 8th or below I eliminate.  Still TBD is where Dayton finishes but they are close enough to my magical line to eliminate Crutcher.  Same with Russell.  Gone.  Grady didn't have his NBA caliber Soph year (again), even at 17 ppg, so he is out for me.  Gilyard is 4th in assists and 1st in steals, but Francis is maybe the straw that stirs the Spiders.  So I have Mitchell and Goodwin left from the PreSeason list, but I have to add Bones and Lofton.  Someone on the top team has to be on my list, and Lofton, is the quarterback of the Bonnies.  He hasn't had to dominate with the Bonnies starters all averaging double figures. He is averaging 15.2 ppg and 5.0 apg.   Bones is Bones, NBA range, 18.6 ppg, 2nd in steals and we have seen how important he is to the Rams since he was missing.  Mitchell leads the league in scoring, but for me he takes too many plays off.  We all know about Goodwin.  Yes, yes, yes, I know all his stats.  But he couldn't carry us to a Top 4 slot. So, hmmm.   Taking off my blue shades, I'm still going with Goodwin, as I have him on the First Team A-10 and All Defensive A10 team, listed below. For me his defense puts him over the top.   It was really close between Goodwin, Lofton and Hyland.

My first team, I only include 5, are those Lofton, Goodwin, Hyland, Mithell plus Grady. 

Defensive team is a shot in the dark, as stats don't tell the full story.  But I'll go with Goodwin, Ossuniyi, Gilyard, Wilson, and Russell.

billiken_roy and Pistol like this

Good picks Hoosier. No arguments from me. Perkins will likely make 2nd team. And while I thought Jacobs had a shot for 6th MOY that ship has sailed. One other note looking forward, if Yurimania ever hopes to be selected 1st or 2nd team he's going to have to be more of a scorer. He's got some stiff competition from Baldwin and the FR PG from LaSalle (can't recall his name). Also, maybe not making first team gives Perkins a little incentive to come back next year. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Good picks Hoosier. No arguments from me. Perkins will likely make 2nd team. And while I thought Jacobs had a shot for 6th MOY that ship has sailed. One other note looking forward, if Yurimania ever hopes to be selected 1st or 2nd team he's going to have to be more of a scorer. He's got some stiff competition from Baldwin and the FR PG from LaSalle (can't recall his name). Also, maybe not making first team gives Perkins a little incentive to come back next year. 

Brickus is the LaSalle guy...how much scarier would he be named Swishus?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Actually i believe yuri's bigger needs is not to be a defensive liability based on his size.   Thats a tough obstacle for him to overcome.  

Player of the year: Goodwin

Coach of the year: Rhodes

Rookie of the year: Baldwin

First Team

Goodwin

Crutcher

Bones

Mitchell

Golden

Lofton

Second Team

Perkins

Osun

Gilyard

Grady

Weathers

Jordan Miller

Third Team

Vince Williams

Michael Hughes

Ibi Watson

Francis

H. Lee

Ryan Daly

HM (no order)

Welch, Adaway, H.Ward, Collins, Fernandes , J. Greene, Fatts, Makhel Mitchell, Bishop (GW), French

All rookie team

Kolek, Ace, Degray, Jordan Hall, Chad Baker

All defensive team

Gilyard, Goodwin, Ward, Hughes, Osun

• HoosierPal changed the title to Who Ya Got, A-10 POY, COY and ROY

I don't disagree with really any of the first, second and third team selections in terms of selections.  I would lament Hasahn's struggles as the main reason he didn't get an All-Conference bid in all this.  One can't really argue that Hyland was POY but I disagree that he is that far ahead of Goodwin.  And it looks like blocked shots were the common denominator for the defensive team and while I'll give that to Osunniyi, I am not overly impressed with AJ Wilson and Hasan Ward for being all defenders on blocked shots alone.  

As for Rookie of the year, I'd second HP's selection of Ace Baldwin.  Amzil might be the second best freshman on Dayton behind Nwokeji.  But let's put both on the All-Freshman team and throw in Jordan Hall  of the Joeys and Jhamir Brickus of La Salle.  Watkins of VCU and Garcia of Umass were too inconsistent for me.  

As for newcomers who made a decent impact but were not freshmen, you've got Bishop of Geedubya, Adaway of the Bonnies, Moyer of Geedubya, Fernandes of Umass and Mitchell of Rhode Island.