Jump to content

SLU Women's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The women just beat the Bonnies 1-0 on. a gorgeous ball by Anna Welsh and a clever finish from Hannah Larson. Kinda looked like Welsh hit a little wedge to have it back up between 2 defenders and the Bonnies goalie. Larson made a fantastic run and played a little chip past the keeper and then had a tap in to end it. Really gorgeous goal. Way to go ladies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SLU had 40 shots (13 on goal). And, SLU had 19 corner kicks. 

SLU dominated but couldn't get a goal until the end. Early shots were from distance over the bar. Set piece finishing wasn't there today. And despite good central field combination play, SLU's final third accuracy and touch wasn't there much of the game. Needed a little bit more final third combo play play, more target passing, and when you aren't finishing, in addition to space, and low, middle of the goal shooting when shots aren't on target. Good escape for SLU. Got the win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wild start in Dayton. Two goals and cross bar in the early minutes.

SLU gave up a goal in the first minute on a lofty cross, ball won by Dayton and buried high top right corner. No keeper chance. Two SLU defenders were caught ball watching on back left side to start the game. 

SLU immediately answers on a corner set piece, Lyndsey Heckel with the low near post header. Dayton keeper screened by her defender guarding near post who thought/hoped it would go just wide. 

Minutes later, Emily Groark hammers one from 25 yards out off of the cross bar.

1-1 not even midway first half.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, courtside said:

Wild start in Dayton. Two goals and cross bar in the early minutes.

SLU gave up a goal in the first minute on a lofty cross, ball won by Dayton and buried high top right corner. No keeper chance. Two SLU defenders were caught ball watching on back left side to start the game. 

SLU immediately answers on a corner set piece, Lyndsey Heckel with the low near post header. Dayton keeper screened by her defender guarding near post who thought/hoped it would go just wide. 

Minutes later, Emily Groark hammers one from 25 yards out off of the cross bar.

1-1 not even midway first half.

 

The Billikens are just playing a different level of soccer compared to Dayton. There was a moment early where a Dayton player put all her weight and strength into a foul and she was the one who ended up on the turf. That's kind of a microcosm of this matchup and pretty much every matchup SLU has in the A10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, slufanskip said:

What the heck is wrong with the Dayton Keep when she punts? I’d shadow her and disrupt that rhythm. 

You knew she’d flub one eventually. That’s a challenging repeatable pattern. She gets good lne drive distance on some. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to see a penalty kick from a foul in the corner of the box. I’ve always felt like there should be a smaller box for a shot from the spot. Outside of that you get a penalty kick from a more difficult angle. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Watching almost every game this year. I really like Brianna Halverson. 

Yep, lots of experience and confidence in back. Moves forward well. Tough and feisty. Very good player for her size too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right on cue, Halverson can't get back in time on the Dayton cross and goal. 

Nice quick Dayton counter midfied build up. Stram beaten 1v1 outside right. Heckel caught ball watching, unmarked UD player taps low left corner. 

2-2 game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

Right on cue, Halverson can't get back in time on the Dayton cross and goal. 

Nice quick Dayton counter midfied build up. Stram beaten 1v1 outside right. Heckel caught ball watching, unmarked UD player taps low left corner. 

2-2 game.

I see that so often at all levels where a defender just gives up the inside run between the posts. You just can’t give her that run? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Missed opportunity as UD misplays a pass back to keeper outside the box. SLU tries quick shot, lob over the keeper, instead of calm possession dribble around for a better low shot at open goal. That was 3-2 there. A little more composure perhaps nets it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only started watching at the half but Hannah Larson seems mia. She usually seems to be playing at a different level. 
 

Percelli with a game saver. She’s very good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I only started watching at the half but Hannah Larson seems mia. She usually seems to be playing at a different level. 
 

Percelli with a game saver. She’s very good

UD player able to get by Heckel there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I see that so often at all levels where a defender just gives up the inside run between the posts. You just can’t give her that run? 

Watching that 2nd Dayton goal again the defense was even worse than I thought. The defender just has to know where the offensive player is

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SluSignGuy changed the title to SLU Women's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...