well why cant the billiken athletic department offer th

had dinner last night with our esteemed bearcat friend, naticat. he told me that cincy is now offering a subscription deal that for $100 you can VIEW (not just hear) over the internet, any bearcat game that is not being covered nationally. i.e. espn, abc, or cbs.

i then got sent to me this morning from both naticat and gruehls the following web addy:

http://www.uc.edu/ucvision/(iycydwi0cpqlrc...5)/default.aspx

which confirms what naticat told me. another obvious difference between us and a bigtime program.

one would think you would be clamouring for this same program. you ought to call the athletic dept, and offer to join the billiken club if they offer this same program to you out of town fans. the opportunity to see all the billiken games not on national tv would surely be worth that (especially considering probably no billiken games will be on national tv)

I'd certainly make a $500 donation to the arena for this service.

>one would think you would be clamouring for this same

>program. you ought to call the athletic dept, and offer to

>join the billiken club if they offer this same program to

>you out of town fans. the opportunity to see all the

>billiken games not on national tv would surely be worth that

>(especially considering probably no billiken games will be

>on national tv)

Being in the IT industry myself, I've been wondering why SLU hasn't done this already. SLU often promotes itself as being one of the top schools in the country when it comes to being "online". It is really not that difficult a thing to do and would imagine some MIS major could put this together in a matter of weeks (if that). Unfortunately we probably won't be seeing anything like this this season even if we all complain.

Who would you recommend contacting about this? I will send an email today.

I tried to do something similar last year from my house. Just Bandwidth was a problem, a Cable Modem can only do so much. It really is not that hard to do. I would set it up (probably it would be illegal). If I had the bandwidth.

Steve

What you are talking about, I assume, is taking the feed from the charter cable games and streaming it to the internet for subscribers through the athletic department. One problem, Charter owns the rights to that video and any internet deal would have to be cleared with them. As our team improves and the broadcasts become more valuable, I think the athletic department will be in a position to make certain demands as part of contract negotiations--one of which could be the right to stream non-national games onto its web site for subscribers.

Even local fans who don't have cable would be interested in this deal if it could be worked.

A lot. I have no idea of exact figures. But the problem with Basketball and most sports, is that since it is so fast paced. There is a lot of movement on the camera. The way it works to my understanding is that with digital video, the only thing that is measured/rebroadcast is the change in each frame. So the change from frame to frame is a lot, therefore a lot has to be new information sent out with each frame. And that takes a lot.

What I did last year was record the game on my Home PC. Then I downloaded it from there. My download connection was as fast as you were going to get. The problem was my upload speed. It was a Cable Modem at home, so not a really slow connection. But not fast. And the games were over a Gigabyte of Data. Therefore, could you imagine trying to download and upload a Gig of information in 2 hours? That takes a lot. Maybe you can give the 2 hour video file down to 500 meg, but you lose quality.

Computers are interesting. With PCs right now, the Hardware is outpacing software. But with the Internet the Hardware (bandwidth) can't keep up with the software.

Steve

SLU had the ability to negotiate with Charter a reservation of the right to provide webcasts of the games. MLB has reserved such a right in its contracts with its numerous local and national tv providers. Obviously, the prior athletic administration didn't have the foresight to reserve such rights.

i would call john garrison if you are strictly worried about the service. however, if you want to go at it from the "i would join the billiken club if this service was included" angle, jim braun would be the contact imo.

while we arent talking about a lot of money probably originally, i would think that charter would have the foresight to agree to split "subscription fees" to out of the area residents.

I tried to watch SLU v. SPUMAC (00 I think) via a live web broadcast it was offered through Yahoo. I had dial up at the time and it didn't work. The radio net broadcasts work pretty well over my DSL connection but I don't think the video feed would.

abomb, if you go to the cincy site, you will read on the first page,

"To view events you will need the Windows Media Player 9 (or greater) which is freely available here. It is available for both the Windows and Macintosh OSX operating systems.

Many webcasts also require a broadband Internet connection capable of sustaining speeds of at least 400 kilobits per second. This includes most cable modems or DSL connections. Detailed technical requirements and a test page are available here."

i.e. a dial up wont work at all and the high speed connections must be at 400 kilo speed minimum.

Last year, UC ran a "test game" for this for free, It was actually SLU @ UC. Apparently it worked out great now that they have put together a full padkage. For me I had no problems with the webcast (I have DSL). I even ran it at full screen and it looked just fine and ran smooth. Its a great thing for out-of-towners like myself.

I know somewhere in this thread someone asked about how many people could get the service or something of that nature, well the UC package is available for the first 400 to sign up.

Bearcat Update! The season is 3 days old, and the Cats have had one surgery (Nick Williams) and one transfer (Mike Pilgram). Good to see Basketball season is back!

Hey TAJ, You want to order UCVision too?

I thought UC Vision is what you had when you've had too many beers and see double while driving.

I know the dial up wouldn't work. I have not tried a live feed on my DSL connection. I did buy the package to listen to games over the internet for the past two seasons and it worked fairly well much better than getting in my car driving to the highest point in OK and listening to KMOX for two hours. (the highest point in OK is Mt. Scott and it is very close to Ft. Sill). Once again this season I will not be able to listen or see most games due to government work. That is what they mean when they talk about sacrifice of those in service to our country. It is horrible.