Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
slu72

Battle in the Bubble-NCAA

Recommended Posts

Well, it looks like the NCAA has made their first move for the hoops season by filing for a copyright on "The Battle in the Bubble". Now it remains to be seen just what this move entails. ie what schools benefit the most in terms of bubble placement. Obviously, the fear is the P6 teams will get the premiere bubbles to ensure they get the most shots at Q1 wins. Or am I being too cynical about the all knowing gurus who run the land of Oz? Also, who cashes in on the TV money that will surely be involved? The fear here is the rich get richer while the poor get the crumbs. I know I'm being cynical, but it is the NCAA we're talking about here. From the NET as the determining factor for tourney berths to the proposed No Sit rule color me skeptical this bubble bath will not be an equitable deal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@slu72

I do not think you are being too cynical in this assessment. Wherever there is significant money involved, there will be people going after it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't assume that the Battle in the Bubble is set in stone at this point.  I am sure their are many programs that are still holding out on having home games to generate revenue.  56% of the teams playing college football in FBS have already announced they will have general public fans in the stands.  Only four programs have said no general public attendance for the whole season.  

I think this is nothing more than the NCAA covering all their bases at this point when it comes to the basketball season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago I thought the bubble scenario was most likely.  Now after seeing the number of college football programs that have announced they will allow fans to come to games and the small amount to this point that have said no fans,  I think the most likely scenario is that we will see something close to a normal college basketball season with limited attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

A few weeks ago I thought the bubble scenario was most likely.  Now after seeing the number of college football programs that have announced they will allow fans to come to games and the small amount to this point that have said no fans,  I think the most likely scenario is that we will see something close to a normal college basketball season with limited attendance.

Not so sure. For example, look at Bama: 1200 new cases. A hot spot. Does a team want to travel to play there? Or UNC where they’ve sent kids home? This is a very fluid situation where an outbreak a day before a scheduled game might determine if the game will be played at all. The bubble concept takes away some of this uncertainty.  Of course an outbreak at a bubble site would immediately pop that bubble. Then what? Still the bubble, as the NBA is showing, can give the NCAA more control over the virus than the regular schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I wouldn't assume that the Battle in the Bubble is set in stone at this point.  I am sure their are many programs that are still holding out on having home games to generate revenue.  56% of the teams playing college football in FBS have already announced they will have general public fans in the stands.  Only four programs have said no general public attendance for the whole season.  

I think this is nothing more than the NCAA covering all their bases at this point when it comes to the basketball season.

Don't know if it is set in stone or not, but the NCAA has trademarked "Battle in the Bubble".  I posted that note yesterday along with a short NCAA video on another thread, which I have forgotten where I put it.

Just for discussion purposes, the NBA Bubble is costing a reported $170 million.  Yes, apples and oranges when talking about the Houston Bubble tourney or any other bubble, but still bubbles will be expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

A few weeks ago I thought the bubble scenario was most likely.  Now after seeing the number of college football programs that have announced they will allow fans to come to games and the small amount to this point that have said no fans,  I think the most likely scenario is that we will see something close to a normal college basketball season with limited attendance.

-from your keyboard to whoever needs to make it happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Don't know if it is set in stone or not, but the NCAA has trademarked "Battle in the Bubble".  I posted that note yesterday along with a short NCAA video on another thread, which I have forgotten where I put it.

Just for discussion purposes, the NBA Bubble is costing a reported $170 million.  Yes, apples and oranges when talking about the Houston Bubble tourney or any other bubble, but still bubbles will be expensive. 

I’m going to assume the NCAA will set them up so they’ll be attractive to sports starved networks. Kind of like a preseason of regional NCAA games, and figure the TV revenues will cover the costs. At least that’s how I’d do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Not so sure. For example, look at Bama: 1200 new cases. A hot spot. Does a team want to travel to play there? Or UNC where they’ve sent kids home? This is a very fluid situation where an outbreak a day before a scheduled game might determine if the game will be played at all. The bubble concept takes away some of this uncertainty.  Of course an outbreak at a bubble site would immediately pop that bubble. Then what? Still the bubble, as the NBA is showing, can give the NCAA more control over the virus than the regular schedule. 

Football teams are going to be traveling to Bama and North Carolina.  

The NCAA isn't going to make the call on what kind of regular season we have.  That is clear already from what happened on the football side.  The member institutions will make that decision on their own.  My bet with after what we have seen on the football side is that most of those member institutions will decide to play something close to a normal season.  They will follow the rules put in place by state and local governments when it comes to attendance and in many cases expand somewhat on them.

The reality is that these programs need whatever revenue they can generate from fans.  Having a athletic department is worthless if that athletic department is bankrupt and that is the reality many programs (even some very big ones) will be facing if they can't generate some revenue from fans.  All states are facing budget cuts and won't be willing to fund athletic shortfalls. Private schools would have to somehow get a massive increase in donations.  There is only so much money that can be saved by cutting other sports and only so many other sports that can be cut while remaining D1 eligible. Plus, conferences have to have enough teams playing enough different sports to remain a conference.

Unless we see another tri-state situation from five months ago, I really believe we will see something that resembles a normal college basketball season at most schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here is the short video I posted yesterday in the 20-21 season thread.  Better fit here.  Trademark doesn't limit its use to basketball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...