CUSA Preseason Coaches Poll

Mobile-iken

billiken law is correct. naticat furnished me with a list a few years ago of their grads and it is much better than the zero we all believed due to the ncaa numbers. i totally agree with the thought that the ncaa doesnt figure those grad rates fairly. the jucos and players that graduate after the cutoff do not count and that isnt fair.

Either did anyone else. I know that is an issue with the coaches. Kelvin Sampson at OU has made an talked about it numerous times. There has even been scattered talk about tying available scholarships to grad rates ... one of the hang-ups is the coaches want a more fair program.

This started because I made a sarcastic comment about Cinci ... which was meant very tongue in cheek ... on the Billiken board. I have never been on and would not go on the Cinci board and talk smack. My good friend Naticat now thinks I am an SOB which really hurts my feelings.

Sorry ... but don't come on the Billiken board and expect to read good things about Cinci ... they are the team we love to hate, which is probably a compliment to their success.

i assured nati last nite that you are a good guy skip. but he takes his bearcats as serious as we take our billikens.

just for conversation sakes, here is a good story nati told me the other nite. a group of bearcat fanatics typically try to get together before midnight madness each year for dinner and then head over to the shoe to watch the event. a few of our favored bearcat cyber friends, uctom, naticat and gruehls included. well this year a poster on the cincy board that calls themselves something like max fan, expressed interest in going with them. boy were they shocked when mother maxiell (apparently she was max fan) showed up at the event with son jason with her. a good time was had by all.

goes to show you that we just dont know who is posting on these boards.

I understand and respect that ... but as I said this is a Billiken board and you are probably not going to hear many good things about Cinci on it ... especially not from me. Just as I wouldn't expect to read good things about the Bills on the Cinci board ... especially if the history of the two programs were reversed.

I grew up an OU fan amidst a family of UT exes and fans ... very serious fans. I love it that they are always knocking OU ...and sometimes very rudely. It shows that the rivalry is strong and OU gets under thier skin a bit. Lately it has been very good for me ... soon I'm sure it will change and I will be on the other end.

Ive been posting on and off of this board for 4 years skip, and actually consider a few of the posters here as "friends" as we get together during the tournament and whatnot. Roy mentioned to me that your somewhat "new" to the board, and I have not been over since basketball season ended last year, sooo you probably have never seen me.

IF I ever came over here and saw nice things posted about the bearcats, Id probably wonder what they feed the Billiken fans at the savvis.

My reply to you was nothing more than my way of asking if you could come up with something better than that. The SOB line was in no way directed to hurt any feelings.

The names Naticat, glad to meet you. See ya around...

Naticat...Glad to have you here ... no feelings really hurt ... just more of my sarcasm ... i have pretty thick skin ... just realize that I love to hate the bearcats ... but you can probably take that as a compliment ... if we were beating you every year I wouldn't care ... for example DePaul ... blah ..blah ...who cares.

Personally, I enjoy reading the smack and all the controversial statements from time to time. That's what makes posting and reading these posts so much fun. I'm glad you guys worked things out as I don't believe things should get too ugly, yet I also don't believe we should be writing poetry together. We're entitled to our comments and certainly our feelings and my feeling is that if there is never any verbal sparring, then maybe the passion is being supressed too much.

I know this will be an unpopular comment, but personally I will take a graduation or two less and have better players. Sorry, but that's how I feel. I want to win - bad. I certainly never would advocate cheating and would love to see each kid graduate and get an education, but at the same time I don't want a team full of 4.0 students with 9 and 10 wins in the win column either. There needs to be balance and yes the emphasis should be on graduating, but if we get players ever so often you can play and don't graduate, then fine. We do anyway.

>

> Either did anyone else. I know that is an issue with the

>coaches. Kelvin Sampson at OU has made an talked about it

>numerous times. There has even been scattered talk about

>tying available scholarships to grad rates ... one of the

>hang-ups is the coaches want a more fair program.

>

With the implementation of the program to tie scholarships to grad rates the NCAA has proposed changing how grad rates are calculated. No longer would schools be penalized for transfers who graduate at other schools and they would get credit for kids who transfer in and graduate. For example, did you know that SLU will not recieve credit for Ross Varner graduating and will be penalized when Jon Seyfert graduates from Montana and if Randy Pulley "graduates" from Mi$$ou? In the future that will not happen.

That would make a good poll question. While real life is not that b lack and white, but if you could choose would you rather have a team with 10 wins and 80% graduation rate or a team with 20 wins and a 20% graduation rate. I think if most of us we're honest we would choose the wins. I know a program can have both wins and high grad. rates,but I'm just asking.

As a Penn State football fan, this has been a hot topic as of late. Coach Paterno graduates his players and for the most part most are outstanding oung men. However, they have had losing season 3 out of 4(if you include this likely losing season) and are 4-5 games under .500 in their last 45-50 games. Unheard of trends at Penn State.

Therefore, I would much rather have a team that wins 20 and graduate 20%.