Jump to content

SLU baseball 2019-2020


courtside
 Share

Recommended Posts

SLU will be playing defending National Champion Vanderbilt on Wednesday Feb 26, 2020 at Vandy, 4:30pm. Vandy has won 2 out of the last 6 College World Series and lost in the finals of another one during that span. They are coming off of a school record 59 wins, having 13 players drafted. They lost several of those but they also return a lot, and, they will be loaded. They are bringing in the top recruiting class nationally once again. One player who won’t make it, is Stl Cards 2nd round draft pick Trejyn Fletcher. He signed with St. Louis this summer skipping college ball. (That happens a lot to schools like Vandy but they get so many other good ones) So, a fun game for SLU. Great facilities there. Strong opponent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

SLU will take its 5-1 early season record to Vandy today, 4:30pm SEC Network Plus on the ESPN app. 

SLU has had the same rotation of Harris, Finkelburg, Boyer thus far but this is their first weekday game. Vandy has been playing two weekday games a week and played yesterday. Vandy will likely be using its #5 starter Ethan Smith. (Hickman, Rocker, Eder, Leiter)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoping that firestick works its magic and we can watch the game.  Vandy is a great place to play with a really fun atmosphere.  We took in a series there last March against UF.

What they build there baseball wise is amazing and I hope the recent questions regarding their scholarship use turns out to be nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Hoping that firestick works its magic and we can watch the game.  Vandy is a great place to play with a really fun atmosphere.  We took in a series there last March against UF.

What they build there baseball wise is amazing and I hope the recent questions regarding their scholarship use turns out to be nothing.

Other than a quote from Corbin dismissing this, I haven’t heard much about the scholarship use, care to elaborate on the issue? I’ve been a pretty big Vandy baseball fan for the last 8-10 years now and have never really heard about a scholarship issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Hoping that firestick works its magic and we can watch the game.  Vandy is a great place to play with a really fun atmosphere.  We took in a series there last March against UF.

What they build there baseball wise is amazing and I hope the recent questions regarding their scholarship use turns out to be nothing.

According to Tim Corbin, the average player on Vandy’s National Title team last season, including high draft picks, paid $19,500 in tuition.  

https://theathletic.com/1600886/2020/02/12/qa-vanderbilt-baseball-coach-tim-corbin-on-his-2020-team-his-best-wins-and-his-most-painful-losses/?amp#click=https://t.co/WuoIsKQPnM

This article from last year also explains that. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anchorofgold.com/platform/amp/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

This recent article explains the culture there and has several Jack Flaherty mentions for Cards fans.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2876009-the-not-so-secret-hangout-of-mlbs-tightest-fraternity.amp.html?share=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I look forward to an announcement during the bball game congratulating the baseball team for a big win in Nashville, of course Gus will have to make some sort of "correction"

“We would like to congratulate the Women’s  Water Polo team for their impressive victory over nationally ranked Villanova! Go Bills!”

Gus Phillip 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NH said:

Other than a quote from Corbin dismissing this, I haven’t heard much about the scholarship use, care to elaborate on the issue? I’ve been a pretty big Vandy baseball fan for the last 8-10 years now and have never really heard about a scholarship issue.

 I just don't really trust what Corbin says about it.  I am not saying it is wrong and I hope it is all on the up and up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

 I just don't really trust what Corbin says about it.  I am not saying it is wrong and I hope it is all on the up and up. 

Could you explain what it is? I’m legitimately just curious what the accusation is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, NH said:

Could you explain what it is? I’m legitimately just curious what the accusation is.

The accusation is Vandy uses more than the allotted 11.7 scholarships for baseball. These are often vocalized by fan bases of  some league opponents. It isn’t accurate. One of the articles I attached above helps explain what happens at Vandy. But some people enjoy conspiracy theories, especially when their peers are successful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing Vandy is a good opportunity for SLU to tour facilities and see how a fellow colder Spring climate, similar sized private school can have success.  It can allow SLU to come up with some ideas, if, on a smaller scale, to improve their baseball facilities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/national-champion-vanderbilt-trusts-astroturf-140000574.html

Vandy replaced its turf after 7 seasons. It also upgrades its scoreboard.

Here is their baseball facility:

https://www.vandyboys.com/facilities

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, courtside said:

Playing Vandy is a good opportunity for SLU to tour facilities and see how a fellow colder Spring climate, similar sized private school can have success.  It can allow SLU to come up with some ideas, if, on a smaller scale, to improve their baseball facilities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/national-champion-vanderbilt-trusts-astroturf-140000574.html

Vandy replaced its turf after 7 seasons. It also upgrades its scoreboard.

Here is their baseball facility:

https://www.vandyboys.com/facilities

 

 

Maybe SLU baseball should do something similar to what Vandy does branding it's team VandyBoys. BillyBall or something...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...