Mizzou cleared of wrongdoing!

bonwich

Given this context, however, you can see how some of our brethren and sistren on this board could look upon the blatant academic fraud of accepting a student with 24 hours earned in a single summer on his transcript as, at best, a misdemeanor.

And yes, let's get us a P.E. major at SLU as soon as possible. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Varsity Athletes Get Class Credit

Some Colleges Give Grades for Playing

By Mark Schlabach

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 26, 2004; Page A01

Copyright 2004, The Washington Post

Excerpted for fair use

One of the classes at Kansas State University meets four hours each weekday afternoon during fall and spring semesters, and is taught both indoors and outdoors. The instructor has a contract that pays him nearly $2 million annually and is credited with turning around a once-dormant department that now raises millions of dollars a year for the school.

At least seven Saturdays each fall, thousands of Kansas State alumni return to Manhattan, Kan., to see the fruits of the students' work. The class? Varsity football. The instructor? Wildcats Coach Bill Snyder. Each semester, Kansas State athletes earn academic credit on the field in practice and games. Some athletes are able to count as many as four credit hours toward their academic degrees by playing on the school's sports teams.

Kansas State isn't alone in allowing student-athletes to earn academic credit for playing sports. A Washington Post survey of physical education courses taught at the 117 schools that field Division I-A football teams found that nearly three dozen universities award academic credit for participation on intercollegiate sports teams. Eleven football teams in the Associated Press preseason top 25 poll have players earning academic credit for practicing, including defending co-national champion Southern California, which kicks off the 2004 season against Virginia Tech at FedEx Field on Saturday night.

These classes have two requirements: (1) being a member of the sports teams and (2) attending practices and games.

The play-for-grades classes illustrate the challenge of reconciling academic missions with big-time athletics at universities. In April, the National Collegiate Athletic Association approved academic reforms that its president, Myles Brand, called "the strongest ever passed by the NCAA." Those changes will take away scholarships and postseason eligibility from schools that fail to graduate a minimum percentage of their athletes, but they fail to address schools where, for years, going to practice has been a step toward earning a degree.

The existence of such classes came as a surprise to several senior academic administrators, including Brand and the chancellor of the University of Nebraska.

(snip)

The survey found that classes are offered for all intercollegiate sports, not just football. Most of the classes have no syllabus or exams, and student-athletes aren't required to complete written work. Most of the classes are graded on a pass-or-fail scale, although Kansas State is one of the few schools that gives letter grades for the courses.

Last fall semester, 69 Kansas State football players enrolled in Snyder's course -- ATHM 104 or "Varsity Football" -- in the school's Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. According to documents obtained from Kansas State through state open records laws, only one of the 69 players enrolled in the class failed to receive one credit hour toward his academic degree, and all but four received grades of "A." This spring, 91 players enrolled in the course, including many who were repeating the class, and Snyder awarded 84 of them the highest letter grade, the records show.

(snip)

Many of the universities that boast the nation's most recognizable and successful football programs offer participation credits in football and other sports. Brigham Young, Florida State, Georgia, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State, all winners of a football national championship during the past 25 years, also have similar policies in place.

(snip)

At Ohio State, football players can repeat Buckeyes Coach Jim Tressel's two-hour course -- SFHP 196.06 or "Varsity Football" -- as many as five times for a total of 10 credits. Last fall, 91 student-athletes were enrolled in the course, and all received "satisfactory" grades, Ohio State records show. Ohio State's online registrar showed 90 of 100 seats are taken for Tressel's class this coming fall quarter.

Ohio State offers a participation course for each of its 21 intercollegiate sports teams, including ice hockey, lacrosse, pistol and riflery. The syllabus for each of the Buckeyes' "Varsity Sports" courses includes five objectives for student-athletes, including: "To develop their skill to its highest potential" and "To learn to strive to do their best under all circumstances but to make personal goals secondary to those of the team."

Unlike Kansas State, credits from Ohio State's participation courses can't be used toward degree requirements, but at all schools, they are counted in fulfilling the NCAA's eligibility rule of six hours of academic credit each semester. Most athletic conferences require athletes to earn additional credit hours; the Big Ten Conference, for example, requires athletes to complete 12 credit hours per semester. Under NCAA rules, athletes must complete at least 18 semester hours each academic year to retain their eligibility.

(snip)

The University of Iowa and University of Nebraska, among other schools, allow student-athletes to apply the credits from participation courses toward their degrees. Four of Kansas State's colleges -- Agriculture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration and Human Ecology -- allow students to apply four hours from participation courses toward degree requirements. The College of Education allows two credits, and the College of Engineering doesn't allow any. Kansas State students are required to complete a minimum of 124 hours to earn their degrees.

(snip)

On April 29, in the wake of academic scandals at Fresno State, the University of Georgia and St. Bonaventure, the NCAA passed the academic reform package that takes effect in 2006. But critics of the NCAA suggest courses such as the football classes are examples of universities watering down their curricula to keep athletes eligible so they can compete on the playing fields.

Along with keeping their players eligible, another potential conflict of interest for coaches is the lucrative salary bonuses for high graduation rates that are included in many of their contracts. Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz, for example, receives a $900,000 bonus if his team's average graduation rate over three years is higher than 60 percent, and if his team wins more than 81 percent of its games in each of the three seasons. Tressel's contract calls for a $100,000 bonus each year his team's graduation rate is 70 percent or higher, and $50,000 for each quarter in which at least 60 percent of his players achieve a 3.0 grade-point average or better. Tressel doesn't receive the money -- it goes to an Ohio State scholarship of his choosing.

(snip)

At Penn State, football players can enroll in ESAT 1351, "Varsity Football," taught by Coach Joe Paterno, who is entering his 55th season at the school. Paterno's class, according to the school's bulletin, is "a full or partial semester course to develop physical and recreational skills and gain knowledge about them." The only requirement for the 1 1/2-credit course: "membership in the performing group through tryouts and selection."

(snip)

The football class at Kansas State doesn't involve written work and there is "no required syllabus, mid-term, or final examination," according to a statement from the school. The University of Nebraska's response to a Freedom of Information request seeking details on the number of student-athletes enrolled in the school's football and basketball courses and the grade distribution said that "no syllabi or exams exist" and that "evaluation is based upon class participation."

I think I will be in the minority here ... but I don't see that as a problem ... Atheletes learn alot with their participation in sports. Teamwork, discipline, accountability to name a few, all things that will help them in life. When I was in the Air Force we got credit at the community college of the AF for basic training.

It will do them as much or more good in life than the probably 50% of the classers they will take in college.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I agree wholeheartedly. Also consider that being on one of these teams sets many players up for careers in coaching.

> I think I will be in the minority here ... but I don't see

>that as a problem ... Atheletes learn alot with their

>participation in sports. Teamwork, discipline,

>accountability to name a few, all things that will help them

>in life. When I was in the Air Force we got credit at the

>community college of the AF for basic training.

>

> It will do them as much or more good in life than the

>probably 50% of the classers they will take in college.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H.

>Waldman

Considering that some people earn a living by playing sports and that many people have done internships for academic credit (rather than or in addition to pay), I so no problem with schools giving student athletes credit for completing a season of a varsity sport -- especially considering how much money (some of) the sports generate for the school. Hey, maybe every school should do it. Don't some school departments benefit from research done by (or on) students who get credit rather than pay? I can't balk at this.

Actually, this doesn't bother me at all. Playing sports is such a huge time consumer, and has the ability to deliver lessons in organization, communication, etc. such that other students don't necessarily get the benefit of. For PE majors or minors, the credit would be a slam dunk. I think it also has its place as an elective with any other major. I'd include band participation, etc. for music majors. There are lots of schools that give credit for job experience in graduate programs. I think this is a fair extension of that principle.

I don't know how it works at all of the schools that use this, but I earned the 1.5 credits for playing baseball at a Penn State University branch campus.

I wasn't a scholarship athlete -- the school basically competes at a Divison III or junior college level -- so the 1.5 credits was a nice little benefit for all the time I put in during the season.

I also received credits (like 3 or 4) for an internship at a newspaper that probably involved less work than playing baseball did. I can't remember but I think I also received 3 credits for working on the campus newspaper. Those extra credits allowed me to earn 21 credits in one semester, my only semester on the Dean's List.

- Nate

Perhaps this word has no meaning any more.

Should colleges give credit for working in the student store? How 'bout for joining a fraternity? That teaches organization, communication, etc. Oriflamme? If you can get credit for football, what about bowling? Should you get credit for doing student plays?

I didn't post the whole article, but the administrators quoted (even the chancellor at Nebraska), plus the head of the Knight Commission (trying to clean up college sports, a task I'd describe as Sisyphean, although obviously learning the meaning of that word is no longer considered "valuable" in the context of a college education), plus the coach at U. Va., reacted with pretty strong disbelief that the practice was going on. I actually heard about the article as part of NBC's college football broadcast yesterday, where the announcer strongly editorialized against it (pretty ironic, given that broadcast revenues are probably the largest incentive for schools to bend or rewrite the rules to justify such behavior).

Among other things, it's pretty astounding that, given the emphasis on athletes making progress toward graduation, schools could award credit for athletics. In the case of K-State, the practice is truly egregious, since the grade those guys get in football "class" is part of their gradepoint average.

In a quick perusal of our beloved alma mater's catalog, I note that our health-profession schools require 124 hours PLUS outside practica for graduation; theatre majors are required to do something like 8 non-credit practica (read: act in plays).

As an aside, I'm fully in favor of paying athletes significant stipends while they're in school.

From a personal experience standpoint .. I can't understand this. I played a semester or two of baseball at SLU but it was as a walk-on and it didn't last long once I discovered Friday's, frats, and just how cold that warehouse on Laclede and Grand used to be in February. But really ... I can't comment given I don't know how much time (I'm suspecting way, WAY too much) a Division 1A athlete has to put in at school along with schoolwork. No wonder many don't graduate. We did get three or so hours towards graduationfor internships like the UNews and D'Arcy McManus and stuff but those were few and far between as I remember.

I'm with joe in that I also believe athletes should get a stipend while they're in school and getting a few grades for their time doesn't bother me much. Unlike Nate I never took 21 hours .. but did have to 18 in like two semesters which was tough enough. I have a real problem with what SPUMAC did because #1) its was 24 hours in three months, #2) it was correspondence, and #3) as I recall, it did very little in the way of making the guy no more than eligible to play basketball.

I don't know what the answer is ... and am glad it doesn't sit on my plate to decide. Credits should count towards graduation ... but they should be meaningful in the long run. I can see giving credit for some of the things about sports mentioned above .. but the kid shouldn't be able to take it and take over and over just to stay eligible. That's wrong. And internships should be meaningful as well.

I don't have a problem with athletes taking courses in their sports, i.e. coaching, managing, history, administration. Sport is now a profession not just a game. And a good many of these kids may well go on to become coaches, AD's, broadcasters, etc. For example look at the many ex billikens now involved in coaching hs sports and doing broadcast stuff. What's wrong is when the course material is like that taught by Harrick's son at University of Georgia. Sample ?'s: How many points is a 3 point shot worth? How many halves are there in a college basketball game? In fact, I don't see a problem with an athlete studying/majoring in a sports specialty. Now will or should SLU ever offer such courses? I think they should offer a Sports management major. Hey they serve a community where Sports, both pro, college, and hs, are a major part of the City's landscape.

Please read the article carefully.

Physical education courses can involve mostly playing sports, but even then they also involve learning the history or rules. There are also Physical Education courses that teach about coaching or organization theory or some such. They can be real easy depending on the university.

There are also sports management courses at some universities where they can be extremely difficult (including courses in finance, accounting, economics, philosophy). These are not the problem.

HOWEVER, the article mentions students getting credit for playing the sports THEY ALREADY PLAY. They may get credit throught the physical education department but the point is they are not even bothering to pretend they are studying the history, rules, org theory, etc. PLAYING a sport is not the same thing as LEARNING about the sport--you can learn as you play but I was an athlete as an undergrad and never learned even the most basic things about the game (because we just DID it and were not necessarily "students of the game"). As Bonwich tries to make clear there is something seriously wrong with that that none of the responses have addressed.

Video games are an industry and many students spend hours playing video games (should they get credit)? Working a retail job is an actual job that non-students have (should canteen workers get credit?). Feeding the homeless is an actual job (should soup kitchen volunteers get credit?).

The point should be obvious that many people besides athletes do LOTS of things that making them better people and better future workers. They get no credit for it and they do not expect it. The fact that athletes are often preparing for life in sports related industries but there are plenty of courses (including literature) that the university already provides to help them do just that. I have no problem with sports management options or even real Physical Education options. It is just that the Washington Post article was not talking about that, but getting college credit for what you already do which is realy PATRONIZING to the student athlete.

>Video games are an industry and many students spend hours

>playing video games (should they get credit)? Working a

>retail job is an actual job that non-students have (should

>canteen workers get credit?). Feeding the homeless is an

>actual job (should soup kitchen volunteers get credit?).

Yes, video games are an industry, but do people get PAID to play the games? I don't think so. They may get paid to design, test, and review the games, but not to play them for pleasure. I don't think the comparison is valid.

In my opinion, if the canteen workers aren't getting paid, but are paying for credit, then they should be able to count it as an internship.

Feeding the homeless sounds like a volunteer job and should not be rewarded by either money or credit. I don't think the comparison is valid.

Folks need to keep in mind that credit hours must be paid for -- even if they come from a non-paid (or paid) internship or practicum. Athletes are on scholarship, which pays for their credits. They're doing what some people do to make a living, so why can't it be an internship?

. . . so if I pretend that my life is so important it should be filmed, do I get credit? Who cares if no one would watch!

You are missing the whole point. A student-athlete is already practicing and playing a sport. It is a lot of work no doubt but that is NOT the same as college credit. Presumably college credit involves doing more than what you would already do. Internship hours are both limited and supervised (for example, you could not do the same internship EVERY semester for four years). While some internships might be easy, most are designed to teach something they do not know already about some real profession/occupation. You cannot get an internship for doing anything you want. More importantly you generally cannot get credit for something you would already be doing (if a student comes in as working in a field, an advisor would aid them in getting experience in another, possibly related, area--that is what learning and growing is all about).

The fact that some extremely small minority MIGHT get paid to play the game is completely irrelevant. The article says students are earning credit for any sport not just ones which may give them a remote chance to play professionally.

Athletics do in some case generate a lot of revenue and I have no problem with positive reforms to thoughtfully aid student-athlete development (I am personally in favor of separating well-run minor leagues and college athletics). But there is also a fact that athletics lead to a lot of high-priced apologetics. Student athletes should be encouraged to take advantage of the educational experience as much as they are able (empty credits take away from this). They should not be given empty course credit to demean their futures.

Oh, and the hardest working paid professional I know runs a homeless shelter. It is way too important to leave to "volunteer work".