Bills Soccer

big al

Nate would have nothing to do with this, he writes on HS sports.

Stu I believe only covers Billiken Basketball.

Tom Timmerman writes the stories on Billiken soccer. I thought I saw a small blurb about SLU women's soccer in today's post but I did not see anything about the men's team. I would say don't blame the writers for a story not being cvered, only blame them, if applicable, for things in their stories. Editors and other management at the p[ost are the ones who decide not to run any stories about SLU soccer being in the championship game.

Vedad did have both goals and was a handful the whole tournament...Can you imagine what this team will be like as seniors...NCAA selections are Monday...Hope we can get a number of home games...We should because of our ranking and since we lead the country in attendance...Itis good that 2 future A-10 teams made it to the finals of the CUSA tournament...The A-10 will feed off these two teams and become stronger...Back to B-ball, a letter in the P-D asked who would like to see St Joseph come to play the Bills and that we should go to the Mo Valley...I watched St Joseph play Gonzaga and there aren't many teams in the country better than St Joseph...Sure there are some but they are tough.

Virginia beat Maryland on penalty kicks in the ACC final. I don't see SLU getting a 4 seed (more likely 5 or 6). That's still great. They will likely have a bye in the first round, a home game, another home game if they win, . . . Congratulations Billikens.

"Donigan figures that if his team, ranked sixth in this week's coaches poll, can win the tournament, it will end up as one of the top four seeds when the NCAA announces the 48-team tournament field on Monday. That's because of the five teams ahead of SLU, two are in the ACC (Maryland and Wake Forest) and two are in the Big East (St. John's and Notre Dame). The other is top-ranked UCLA. "

I thought since Maryland and Wake lost and either St. John's or ND had to lose this weekend, we would basically be guaranteed a #1 seed and homefield the whole way until the Final 4? It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow (at least for us SLU fans that actually like soccer :))! How many teams get a first round bye? I used to know, but it has slipped my mind.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

I can't speak for the PD, but I will say that there will be an article on the tournament in this week's University News, which is released each Thursday. The article, as well as the past few men's soccer articles, will be written by yours truly.

Also, we will we coming out with our Basketball Preview this week, so I would recommend picking up a copy for any of you who happen to stop by the SLU campus Thursday and the week following.

OK, that's all for my shameless plug. :)

While 3 of the 5 teams ahead of the Bills in the standings lost the weekend I am not sure how much of that will help (I hope it does). St. John's lost to ND in the finals and Wake and Maryland lost to a very good Virginia team. This helps the Billikens in that they BEAT Virginia earlier

The problem is a RPI one. SLU may have been ranked 6th in the polls but they were 8th in the "computer" (this isn't the official computer but it is at least one objective look at who is better). The ACC and Big East get more benefits from their wins in quarter and semi finals than even SLU's win against Charlotte.

On second thought SLU may get a 4 seed (but stranger things have happened as they have in the past--it all depends on the "secret sauce" they apply to the computer rankings). My guess would be:

UCLA

Maryland

ND

SLU

Wake

St. John's

That is great but they don't use polls to seed teams. I am hoping for a good seed but better ranked teams have gotten 5-8 (or worse) seeds in the past. SLU has a real good Non-Conference profile (so I think they deserve a 4 seed) but C-USA was NOT doing SLU any favors this year with the computers.