Question for true SLU fans.

SLUShocker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, youjustgotKMed said:

Missouri is irrelevant bc we dont play them,,, i see our biggest rivals as dayton and butler, wish xavier didnt leave the a-10,, that was definitely a rivalry

but in all honesty ,, the year we beat butler three times definitely made butler fans bitter towards us to the point they played us in our non-conf this year but the fact we lost so bad this year may not see a rematch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think both sides needs to agree that there is a rivalry for there to be one.  Dayton fans most likely are bitter with yesterday's loss.  I think most Butler fans don't consider SLU anywhere near a rival anymore.  After Dayton, to me our rivals are SIU due to their proximity, and if we would ever restart the series, Missouri State.  It's tough to have a rival where most fans can't/won't travel to an away game.  VCU, UMass, GW...pretty much all the other A10 schools outside of Dayton, I would say aren't really big rivals. We are just members of the same conference.

56 minutes ago, almaman said:

We're orphans when it comes to lifelong rivals. We are short term there now.  I was dreaming i guess but back in the days when we were in same conference as Louisville I thought of them as our rivals.

I agree. We would have more potential rivals in the American Conf than the A10.  Wichita St, Tulsa, Memphis and Cincy  - all Midwest cities.  Remember those CUSA games with Memphis, getting Finch to yell at the crowd!  

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree. We would have more potential rivals in the American Conf than the A10.  Wichita St, Tulsa, Memphis and Cincy  - all Midwest cities.  Remember those CUSA games with Memphis, getting Finch to yell at the crowd!  

One of the highlights of my freshman year 01-02 in CUSA working in the AD Events Staff with the legendary Terry Elmore was sitting behind the Cincy bench at the start of the second half after handing out stat sheets to the UC radio crew and assistants. Couple of blue hairs were giving it to Huggy about his DUIs and at the time his Mom was sick or something and I think something was said about her, and instead of Huggins turning around, Andy Kennedy turns and basically asks the guys to meet him by the buses post-game. I had never seen anything like that before - a coach talking back to fans. I knew I was home at SLU.

32 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

One of the highlights of my freshman year 01-02 in CUSA working in the AD Events Staff with the legendary Terry Elmore was sitting behind the Cincy bench at the start of the second half after handing out stat sheets to the UC radio crew and assistants. Couple of blue hairs were giving it to Huggy about his DUIs and at the time his Mom was sick or something and I think something was said about her, and instead of Huggins turning around, Andy Kennedy turns and basically asks the guys to meet him by the buses post-game. I had never seen anything like that before - a coach talking back to fans. I knew I was home at SLU.

Larry Finch of Memphis State tried to go into the stands during a game back in the 70"s. 

50 minutes ago, willie said:

Larry Finch of Memphis State tried to go into the stands during a game back in the 70"s. 

That's amazing. We need more of that. Larry Finch, Dick Versace types, just throw the blazer on the court and go nuts. Coaches are too subdued. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Wasn't Kevin Slaten one of the fans involved in that incident?

11 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

That's amazing. We need more of that. Larry Finch, Dick Versace types, just throw the blazer on the court and go nuts. Coaches are too subdued. 

Keep an eye on Ford during the games.  He's awesome.  Nearly every game he's gotten the "THAT'S ENOUGH!" bleat from the ref nearest to him.  Ford is many things but not subdued.....  

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Wasn't Kevin Slaten one of the fans involved in that incident?

Depends on if Kevin Slaten drinks beer, which defines the irony of a bunch of guys getting on Huggins for a DUI infraction.