OT: Flushing money away

The Wiz

+1. I was telling my wife this weekend how we are going to hear the nerds come out of the woodwork to equate the odds of winning. It is an easy story for the local media though: the Powerball jackpot is historically high, call up a nerd to explain to us common folk the odds. I don't need the odds explained to me by a statistician. We are talking about spending a couple of bucks and having at least a chance of winning $1.5 billion?!?!?! That $2 isn't preventing me from feeding my family, but if I win I can get a much better family.

I would start with your brother; you could get a much better brother for sure.

I have few avenues to net me over 100MM. The Frisbee has already been invented, as has the internal combustion and a drug that helps with erectile dysfunction.

So, knowing it's an irrational choice, but also knowing that getting to 100MM isn't going to happen without it, I took the $10 plunge.

Murov's Law, named for the former editor of the St. Louis Business Journal:

You're just as likely to become a multimillionaire playing the lottery as you are working hard every day of your life, so it's worth the buck a week investment. (It's now $4 a week, but the sentiment is the same.)