A-10 Report Card...1-1-16

The Wiz

Now that we are ready to start conference play, it is time for the A-10 report card.

Day...................A-

GW...................A-

VCU..................A-

RI.....................B+

Rich.................B+

Ford.................B

St. J..................B

Dav...................B-

St. B..................B-

Duq...................C+

UMass...............C+

GM....................C-

SLU...................D+

LaS....................D-

A few observations......

Yes, there is a worse team than us.... LaS

Based on current projections post season play looks like this.....

Mar Mad....3 teams

NIT.............4 teams

CBI.............1 team

Bills will win 2 more....LaS + GM @ home...plus 1 possible win (45-50% chance to win) ...Duq ..@ home

SLU has a chance to finish as high as C and as low as D.

Bottomline...We have a chance to surprise a few teams and make some noise in the A-10....It will depend on whether the Bills can play 40 min of basketball...no dead periods without a basket.

I am having a hard time imagining how a team expected to win two to three more games this year is going to"surprise a few teams and make some noise in the A10" so paint me curious. We shall see. Can't wait. Deaux, part two (the conference season) starts today.

I always love it when we take Mason for being a cupcake. Hell, even when we were ranked 9th we had to go to OT to beat them. I say no more than 3 W's in conference. Maybe we fix the TO problem, but rebounding and weak D are chronic problems with this group.

The only chance to surprise any team in the A10 will be about reducing turnovers, free throw shooting and rebounding. Fix those coachable problems and the team will have a chance to surprise.

I know the idea that we could surprise in and of itself is a surprise concept. But here is why I believe that can be true. There are 2 kinds of D+ teams....those that aren't very good .."true" D+ teams and those that are D+ because they are underperforming. They could be underperforming for a number of reasons....injuries, chemistry, mistakes, etc. I believe the Bills fall into the latter category. A "true" D+ team will not be able to hang with a good team. They will be down from the start and fade the whole game. The keyword will be overmatched. In the Bills case, they have played some very good teams....Louisville,, Wichita, K St....and have played them even for at least a half or better....a sign of an underperforming team. We have played games where we have shot well, had low TO's and some good defense and offense. The problem has been either it has not all happened in 1 game or if it does then it all stops for 8 minute periods. In an earlier thread I pointed out how the extra TO's can cause a point swing of 20pts.

So, can there be any surprises? Of course there can be....There is always the chance of the "super game"....that 1 game every team has every season ...where you shoot over 60% from the floor and the arc. But that is not what we are talking about here . The surprises I am talking about will occur when we stop turning the ball over , shoot decent, rebound , play D...things we have done all year just not consistently....The sign of an underperforming team.

So will there be surprises? There were last year at the beginning of conference play...then they stopped and we reverted. The answer to the question is up to Mr Crews. If he can get them to play consistent basketball for 40 minutes then the answer will be yes there will be surprises.

The sooner everyone who matter realizes we aren't underperforming and this is who we are, the sooner we can fix the problem

Agreed. There is no reason to root against the kids and hope we lose. Be positive for them, we are going to lose regardless. It's a very poorly coached team. Which may be an overstatement, because that requires coaching.

Agreed. There is no reason to root against the kids and hope we lose. Be positive for them, we are going to lose regardless. It's a very poorly coached team. Which may be an overstatement, because that requires coaching.

This is a good response. The last thing these young men need is their fans rooting for them to lose. Still, after what we've seen now for almost a season and a half is it ok if we root against Jim Crews? He built this shipwreck after two years of skippering a gold plated yacht. This team really lacks in the basics. Yes, they're young but they're not dumb. Something's not clicking here, and you have to look to the coach. His recruits, his system, his practices, his teaching, his game plans, his staff. Please check off which of those you think are good right now.

This is a good response. The last thing these young men need is their fans rooting for them to lose. Still, after what we've seen now for almost a season and a half is it ok if we root against Jim Crews? He built this shipwreck after two years of skippering a gold plated yacht. This team really lacks in the basics. Yes, they're young but they're not dumb. Something's not clicking here, and you have to look to the coach. His recruits, his system, his practices, his teaching, his game plans, his staff. Please check off which of those you think are good right now.

Exactly, they are all terrible. I think we're in agreement, don't throw the kids under the bus. They are college kids playing, or sitting, or not running an offense, based on what the coach is "coaching." This shitshow will run its course. I'm sure they are having a harder time than the fans as the live it daily in practice and in games.