RPI watch.

hsmith19

SLU is between 188 and 196, depending on where you look. This is exactly what I meant when I said merely playing better opponents during the A-10 schedule would improve the RPI. Even with a 1-5 record, that has been the case. It sure would be nice to get above the 50th percentile, which looks possible at this point.

I would like to think the "narrative" of winning out in the regular season (which would include a win over VCU on their own court) and winning another game or two in the A-10 tourney would get us into conversations for an at-large bid, even if we fell short of the auto bid.

SLU is between 188 and 196, depending on where you look. This is exactly what I meant when I said merely playing better opponents during the A-10 schedule would improve the RPI. Even with a 1-5 record, that has been the case. It sure would be nice to get above the 50th percentile, which looks possible at this point.

That is because the front third of the schedule was loaded with high RPI teams. Now we need to start winning games at a better clip or the RPI will begin dropping. 2-10 down the stretch would leave us with an RPI in the mid 250s.

We need to go 7 and 5 down the stretch to have a RPI in the top 50%. 6-6 would keep our RPI just about where it is now. 5-7 drops us to right around 210. 4-8 drops us to the 225 range. Not sure where 7 or 6 wins are going to come from. Five might be doable, but we will need some consistency we haven't seen yet.

I think winning out is a given, but I'm still uncertain whether we win each game by 20+ points. Hopefully JC will start running up the score. If we can win each game by 20+ points and throw in a few 30+ point wins then we'll likely get a 4 seed in the big dance. One 30+ point win is worth about 4 losses I think.

That is because the front third of the schedule was loaded with high RPI teams. Now we need to start winning games at a better clip or the RPI will begin dropping. 2-10 down the stretch would leave us with an RPI in the mid 250s.

We need to go 7 and 5 down the stretch to have a RPI in the top 50%. 6-6 would keep our RPI just about where it is now. 5-7 drops us to right around 210. 4-8 drops us to the 225 range. Not sure where 7 or 6 wins are going to come from. Five might be doable, but we will need some consistency we haven't seen yet.

As I said in the other thread, we have home games left against SJ, LS, GM, and SB, and road games against GM, For, and Duq. All seven of those games are winnable. I would be disappointed if we can't at least go 4-3 in those games. And that's before getting into the possibility of surprising a decent team with an upset (UMass and Dayton at home are the most realistic possibilities). Winning only two of the remaining 12 games would require us to play much, much worse than we have so far in A-10 play. It would require a huge regression, and I (along with most fans and observers) would be extremely disappointed.

I am willing to bet that our RPI will be better at the end of the season than it was at the end of the non-con slate. That is almost always true for teams in decent conferences with really bad non-con opponents, and the results so far have borne that out. Yes, we had a front-loaded schedule, but our only win was not over one of the front-of-the-pack teams. And RPI gives us no bonus for the near-misses against GW and VCU.

The conference schedule being front loaded with good teams does, If we play as projected from this point out (3 wins) our RPI will finish around 240. That would be a a slight bump from the 255 that Warren Nolan had our RPI at heading into conference play.

You have to win games to really bump your RPI. We are going to have to win at least 5 more games to get a significant bump from conference play.