Tommie Liddell and UNLV

Tommie was and is not a recruitable athelete. He is committed to SLU. I don't think you know for sure that you can relay your thoughts to a student through an AAU coach. Do you? If so I hope we and everyone else are doing the same to your committed recruits. Seriously ... tell me just once ... clearly that if Tommie was a committed UNLV recruit and we got him to change his mind through an AAU coach that we had no previous connection to (of course there is no history of AAU coaches being dirty) and Tommie had never before even mentioned SLU ... and had in fact made a public statement that he was going to UNLV no matter what just 10 days prior. Add to that the fact that he would have never visited SLU or spoken with the head coach or an Asst coach ... ever. Now lets say Tommie was a local Vegas kid ... who wasn't just another recruit ... but a very prized one.

Would you question what happened? would you or any of the other UNLV fans suspect wrongdoing?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UNLV has a long history with T. Lindell going back a few years to D. Thomas. For all you no Kruger might have a great relationship whith the AAU coach or one of his assistants does. Kids also say whatever the local press wants to here and sometimes don't speak the truth. Kids change their commitment all the time and I do no for a fact a coach can talk(and recuit) through an AAU coach but I am not sure how it works if a kid is bound to a letter of intent that is soon going to expire(I believe the same rules apply as long as the coach does not talk to the kid). T. Lindell is a kid and kids change their minds all the time. T. Lindell might not have visted UNLV but he might have been to Vegas and lastly the article made it clear he wanted to play for an NBA coach and maybe that was more important to him than meeting Kruger. He probably figures he can commit now (have UNLV save him a grant) and meet Kruger later. If he does not like Kruger or UNLV he can always sign with someone else in November.

Also ... I don't think their history with Tommie Liddell is so long. He has never mentioned them among his front runners, even before he committed to SLU. This is out of the blue ... don't kid yourself.

If it was reversed I would think maybe someone representing UNLV(coach, etc.) communicated to this kid(not sure how it was done) that a grant was availabe and we really want you. Since a decommit is so common and AAU coaches are such a big part of coaching I would not assume money,etc is involved. Someone got in this kids ear that he is NBA material and he should go play for an uptempo NBA coach. I do not no if that was UNLV, his AAU coach, his family, etc. I would also wait to hear from the kid to see if he really did commit to UNLV and how this whole thing happened.

I just got back from New Jersey were I attended the ABCD camp. My friend is one of the people in charge of running the camp. THere were a lot of rumors about Tommy going to UNLV. It happens all the time with kids changing their mind. My friend was in charge of telling the players where to go and the plans of the day and he talked to Tommy about 10 minutes. He said Tommy was excited about going to Prep school to ge t his grades up and to improve his skills as a basketball player. He also said he wished he was able to go to SLU right after high school, but he said he couldn't wait till next year b/c he really like the coaches and the player, plus he said he likes the fact that his parents can come to all of his games.

That is what Ray(my friend) got of the conversation with him. He said nothing about UNLV. But he said a lot of aau coaches like to talk a lot and say what they want to so they can get some press. I do not hink we have anything to worry about, but I thought I would share some information I got. Anything can happen though.

Wow. I've waited a couple days to comment on this so that I could see if any new info came out about this, and we still have yet to come to anything conclusive, except that this Ricky Lewis clown is nothing short of a bum looking out for only himself.

It's times like this that I truly understand why Kevin Lisch and his family hate AAU basketball.

I have to say that now I'm really worried about Tommie Liddell. He has some people speaking out for him who obviously aren't considering his best interests, which could potentially seriously hurt his future.

I think that right now we must wait until sometime this week when Tommie should be back home in East St. Louis with his family, hopefully with Ricky Lewis a long distance away from them, where they can sort this out and a definitive announcement about his future can be made.

Wow.

what you are not digesting is the fact that tommie liddel is still under the guidelines of a signed national letter of intent. this is not a simple verbal committment. so no, it doesnt happen all the time. this happens in early september, i say as well, "it happens all the time". however, right now it is hands off due to the binding loi that is in effect until the end of august. i.e. there is our outrage and should be your fear that kruger stepped over a line.

As soon as he enrolls in prep school the letter of intent is null and void and he does not have to be released by St. Louis. Lon recuited NBA players like Frank Williams, Brian Cook, Mitch Richmond, etc. All I said is he coached in the NBA and that is important to kids who want to reach that level.

jreb said, "As soon as he enrolls in prep school the letter of intent is null and void and he does not have to be released by St. Louis."

we shall pass your knowledge onto the slu compliance officer and coach soderberg who have been told by the ncaa that the slu loi is in effect until the first day of slu starts and tommie is not in class. that is when the loi is null and void. it sounds to me as though mr kruger has committed an ncaa violation. but that shouldnt bother you rebs. ahhhhhhh just like old times.

I want to make sure I get this right. You are saying if he switched to UNLV they cheated for sure but now if he stays than they did not cheat. You are also saying it is OK to make accusations as long as their is a possibility they might be true. Most people in the real world would actually get all the facts before making the accusations but I guess you just make them and then see if they are true. So right now you have no idea what is the truth but you stand by all the accusation just in case different information comes out. Hmmmm.....

No ... I never said the accusations were correct ... what I stated was that if they were correct than I suspected wrong doing ... if OJ committed murder he should go to jail ... if he didn't than he shouldn't. pretty simple don't you think

Jreb, are you aware that Tommie has signed a current,, enforcable Letter of Intent with SLU, and that *ANY* contact with him by UNLV coaches, boosters, or agents is a major NCAA violation? This is the cheating part of the whole situation, where the coaches say something that is merely "overheard" by someone, who then merely happens to mention said information while Tommie just happens to be nearby.

As Larry, Curly, and Moe were prone to say, "It was cirwwcumstance." We live in a day where NCAA bball is huge money, and schools will not stop at anything in order to ensure the right stuff is "overheard" by nonrecruitable recruits at the right time.

It is a lot like carrying on an affair with a married lady. If you don't want to worry about the marriage thing, want no strings attached, and no responsibilities, and you want to retain exclusive deniability, then go out on the sly with a married lady. If you get caught, you can always claim that you did not do it, then that you did not know the situation. No matter how you slice this one it is dirty at some level. And the thing with married ladies - somone will have a gun, sooner or later...

It is not a major NCAA recruiting violation and the last recent example of this was Danny Granger of Bradley when he transfered to New Mexico. Bradley gave the NCAA phone records of conversations that took place between Granger and a New Mexico assistant coach when Granger was still at Bradley and the NCAA just slapped New Mexico on the wrist(No propation,etc.).. Danny Granger was allowed to transfer to New Mexico where he is one of the better players in the conference. This is a case with evidence which right now SLU does not seem to have. Why don't you just wait until Tommy talks and this whole thing will be cleared up.

I believe as long as a UNLV coach or someone associated with UNLV does not talk to Tommy than it is OK. UNLV can convey their interest through an AAU coach who can then talk to Tommy. The rules are not nearly as rigid as you make them out to be.

From the UNLV Board:

"The school (SLU) is also small time and located in a ###### part of the city. If you want to be in an exciting environment, SLU ain't got it. Walk one block from the school and we are talking crime, the likes of which Vegas has yet to see. The school seriously feels like an outpost, no shopping, restaurants, nothing is within walking distance."

Few facts:

- From the FBI and DOJ - crime rates are rising in Vegas; dropping in St. Louis.

- Outpost? It's in the middle of the city, five minutes from downtown, Soulard, the Landing and the West End, adjacent to Grand Center with the Loop and Clayton relatively nearby and most of this is easily accessible via MetroLink.

- There are restaurants all over the place (what is this guy talking about?)

Okay, so we are missing "The Strip" and legal prostitution. We are also missing 115 degree heat throughout the summer and major infrastructure problems from too rapid growth. And if you think we have a problem with sprawl, go out to Vegas and drive toward Mt. Charleston or Red Rocks and look at the building going on there.

JReb, next time you cite a for instance, make sure if you can that is NOT from my hometown, where I know 95% of the details...and you know 40% of them.

As soon as UNLV starts providing specific information to an AAU coach that they want funnelled to a specific player, the coach is no longer viewed by the NCAA as a "noninvolved party." He is viewed as a principle acting on behalf of the university. The specific information here would revolve around the availability of a scholorship.