What a Win Last Night

Taj79

Not a great game for long stretches but certainly a win that goes down in the lore of Saint Louis University basketball legend. Very close to Marque Perry beating #2 Louisville. Fitting for our five seniors as they continue their legacy.

That's the best news, the continuation. Live to play another day. I did not expect to win given our recent history and was relatively calm as the season wound down there for the first 35 minutes. But from there on? Holy moly, Batman!!!! The guys never quit, even after losing first Evans and then Barnett. Rob Loe emphasized just how key he has been this year. John Manning and Tanner Lancona did well enough, even better, but I believe that was due to matching up with stiffs Anya and Vandenberg. No intentional disrespect to our cordial NCState brethern that visited here but short of TJ Warren and transfer Ralston Turner, call me unimpressed with the 'Pack. But it is a good start for a team to be reckoned with in the future. Barber appears the better of the points but he dribbles way too much. Lewis is not a real scoring option right now. Better luck next time. You'll be back after a simple reload; we on the other hand, have to rebuild.

I've read with great interest the threads from the game and the knock thread on JC's coaching. JC coached his arse off down the end. He instituted Hack-A-Pack to slow the game down. He drew up a press on the fly. He subbed offense for defense with Lancona and Glaze. He had a tremendous defensive scheme in place with Barnett and Evans all over Warren, but more importantly, if you noticed, he had Loe and Manning ignore the two center slugs for NCState and concentrate on potential help on Warren. I was praying Anya would launch that stand alone three in the first half. Just PUH-lease!!!!!! And his interactions with the refs were more last night than I've seen in the two previous years combined. No fellow Billikenmites, JC was coaching. And I never want to confuse my coach with the antics of ShakaKhan, Danny Gurley, or BonaSchmidt.

TJ Warren was not stopped. He had 28 and left another ten or so on the foul line. But when it counted, we forced first Lewis and then Turner ---- NOT Warren ----- to make the shot. We make free throws and Desmond Lee has a normal game and we win in a relatively easy way. But it's March, y'know. Nothing is easy.

Hey, nobody is talking about us in terms of the next game. So who cares? Keep shocking the world. I like flying under the spotlight radar. I watched some of Louisville last night. Russ is Russ and Jones is a pretty good replacement for Silva. But the other match ups don't intimidate me. Can't wait.

Nice crowd in the stands last night too. Saw the shoes working the house. Wish I was with Bay Area but so it goes. I could do with a trip to Indy however.

Kiwi Thunder!

+1

Im still very pleased with manning, especially on that small take to the hoop and taking contact and finishing. Also tanner had that great saving catch when jett couldn't find anyone so he tossed it across court. That could of ended it if he doesnt come up with it.

Also if I heard right, in the last 5 minutes of reg. Till when the game was over, we outrebounded ncst by 14.

@brownindian ---- first he's the third of my list so he is the least offensive but his antics in Brooklyn were probably more comical than anything if we had won. But he engages in more "oscar worthy" performances and gyrations than mos while on the sidelinet. I guess I notice him because we play you guys.

@adman ---- you in Orlando,bill? I guess I just plain forgot the Freudian couch connection --- last night stunned me so. You were in Brooklyn. Given the last five games up until last night, I just wasn't expecting much. And we won! Now ---- I ain't expecting much tomorrow. Let's see if that strategy can work again.

f05---- you in Orlando, zachy? You guys (if you are) looked great last night cheering down the stretch. Mrs. Loe became quite a star. Billikennation was properly represented.