Trending 1/13

Taj79

Calling kshoe. Calling kshoe.

I've always said trends change, and this past week is/was no different. To reprise: I said 10-3-3 was the trend; the 3 "ties" were 50/50 games on the road. These three road contests were Rhode Island, La Salle and St. Joes. I also said "If we were to win any of these, I'm inclined to lean towards Sweatervest U" when discussing the three losses trending to ooccur at Dayton, at VCU and at Umass. And we did. That would make the ledger 12-2-2 HOWEVER I like this past weeks' results so much, that I believe trending needs to take the 2 "ties" away from the games in Philly and make those wins.

Current trending: 14 - 2.

Having said that, we CANNOT sleep on the Bonnies come Wednesday. Just look how close they came to Umass in Amherst.

Dayton and St. Bonaventure are teams that rely on their offensive. UMass is also a primarily offensive team with decent defense. As long as we (SLU) do not have a game where our scoring is off, we can beat them. The one that I am pretty sure will be pretty difficult to beat is UMass.

Dayton and St. Bonaventure are teams that rely on their offensive. UMass is also a primarily offensive team with decent defense. As long as we (SLU) do not have a game where our scoring is off, we can beat them. The one that I am pretty sure will be pretty difficult to beat is UMass.

If you watched any of Saturday's game of St. Bonaventure at UMass, I believe UMass is a beatable team in Amherst. The Bonnies should have won that game. There were leading by 10 or more it seemed like most of the game until the last 10 minutes or so. Obviously, the Bonnies are not as good of a team as we are. If we were in the same situation (with our 5 seniors), I could see us winning this game. At the same time, as a Billiken fan you always worry about that game where the Billikens have an off night offensively. We need to work hard and keep up our excellent defense in all games. Almost any one of the A10 games could slip through our fingers if we don't take it 100% seriously.

@kshoe: A prediction would have been wrong; the trend just changed. So no ... no "I was wrong" statement. Now the trend has changed; and it can change again. I don't do predictions remember, I don't have a crystal ball. Of course, I know you don't like that. Given my history, I agree that I have been skeptical. Not so much any more. And being inperson at Dayton was just amazing. Shut them down and up for real.

@old guy: not sure what you are saying, " ... are teams that rely on their offensive." Is that in contrast to maybe us who rely on our defense to be the catalyst? I don't believe the Bonnies are all that for real but I also belive Umass didn't take them seriously. Which must be done every night in conference play. Conference play IS different. The Bonnies were 11 and 4 going into Amherst. Wins against South Dakota, Alcorn State, Canisuis, SIU, Wagner, Louisiana-Monroe, Iona, Niagara, Delaware, Cornell and Richmond. Two neutral site wins and two road wins one at Iona and one at Niagara. The rest at Olean. Big deal. Their signature win would have been Umass. But we still can never coast.

@Diehard; Umass is certainly not perfect. The one guy one team cannot afford to lose is Chaz Williams. I think Umass is frenetic yet undisciplined. The issue with playing them is also that our game there will be Senior Night. Ta-ta, Chaz. Having maybe htree guys to throw at Chaz ---- Mike, Austin and Jordair -- should help some. But Umass also excels at one of our weaknesses, offensive rebounding. Carter, LaLanne, Esho and Putney all go at least 6'8". All are atheltic. And all are bangers. That'll be tough. hell, we almost made a star of LaLanne last year.

But the demeanor displayed by our seniors is quite evident. I like it -- in the right here and now of the current moment.

Taj I agree we have to take every game seriously. What I intended to say is that Bonnie relies in offense to win in contrast with us who rely on defense. I think that, as long as we are scoring reasonably well, we will have a very good chance of beating Bonnie at the Chaifetz.

@Diehard; Umass is certainly not perfect. The one guy one team cannot afford to lose is Chaz Williams. I think Umass is frenetic yet undisciplined. The issue with playing them is also that our game there will be Senior Night. Ta-ta, Chaz. Having maybe htree guys to throw at Chaz ---- Mike, Austin and Jordair -- should help some. But Umass also excels at one of our weaknesses, offensive rebounding. Carter, LaLanne, Esho and Putney all go at least 6'8". All are atheltic. And all are bangers. That'll be tough. hell, we almost made a star of LaLanne last year.

It's probably no big deal, but, according to a tweet, Chaz is having an MRI today on his ankle after injuring it in the first half of the St. Bonnie game. He played the second half and seemed fine, but he was reportedly on crutches after the game...no doubt as a precautionary measure.

I wouldn't call Putney a banger...sure he can get some rebounds, but the dude weighs less than a pikachu

@kshoe: A prediction would have been wrong; the trend just changed. So no ... no "I was wrong" statement. Now the trend has changed; and it can change again. I don't do predictions remember, I don't have a crystal ball. Of course, I know you don't like that. Given my history, I agree that I have been skeptical. Not so much any more. And being inperson at Dayton was just amazing. Shut them down and up for real.

Taj, I'm glad to see you are on board of the "things are good in Billiken land" train after about 2 years of being left behind.

I do think its beyond lame to call what everyone else in the world would call a prediction (i.e. an expected record at the end of the conference season) and call it a trend that you can update at the end of every game and act like the earlier predictions/projections/trends don't count.

For what it's worth, Pomeroy and Sagarin have our most likely conference record as 12-4. They aren't quite as scientific as your 14-2 trend but they'll have to do for those of us that like statistics in our calculations.

That's why I don't predict. Am I "predicitng" the Bills will go 14 and 2? No. I say the trend is good for that to happen providing all the factors in that current trend now stay the same. That's the last time I'll debate this with you. Let's agree to disagree.

You see the same "trending" in the Wiz .... numbers change. teams go from A to B and back again.

That's why I don't predict. Am I "predicitng" the Bills will go 14 and 2? No. I say the trend is good for that to happen providing all the factors in that current trend now stay the same. That's the last time I'll debate this with you. Let's agree to disagree.

You see the same "trending" in the Wiz .... numbers change. teams go from A to B and back again.

Actually the trend would be we go 12-4. All those 60-80% win probabilities add up to a couple of losses.

I call bullsh*t on this!