Those excuse for referees should never be invited back to Chaifetz

Duff Man

These were high school refs. They didn't know the rules. They couldn't keep up with the pace. The players could have just called the game themselves back yard pick up style and it would have been better than what we got from these fools.

Specifically, the botched technicals at the end of the first half was an absolute abortion of officiating.

First they call Manning for a blocking foul when the NCA&T player clearly jumped into Manning (should have been a no call), then a NCA&T player and Manning barely brush up against each other - then another NCA&T player pushed Manning and gets T'd up - while the other NCA&T player freaks out like he was mugged by Manning - and the refs are fooled into calling a double technical - meaning Manning gets 2 fouls on a play when he did nothing wrong. Many fans were confused why there were no technical FTs...but the rules were enforced correctly according to the horrible calls.

Moments later on the other end of the floor, Lancona is fouled (they were in the double bonus so 2 shots regardless), and then the same guy who fouled Lancona got T'd up for unnecessary contact after the whistle.

The term for this is a single contact dead ball technical foul. Single because it's not a double foul. Contact because there was contact as opposed to verbal offense. Dead ball because it occurred when the play was dead. Technical foul because the official made the T gesture and the PA announcer said so. There is no ambiguity here, that was absolutely a single contact dead ball technical foul.

And anybody who watched the last

in this past A10 quarterfinals, knows that the offended team gets 2 shots AND possession on top of any other FTs they have coming.

And just in case they might have changed the rules, I checked

2013-14 NCAA men's basektball rules

Art. 14. After the administration of a technical foul, the penalty for a subsequent
technical foul shall be administered. The ball shall be put back into play at
the point of interruption, which is where the first technical foul was assessed.
[Exceptions: After a single flagrant 2 technical foul or contact dead ball technical
foul before the start of the game or extra period, play shall resume by awarding
the ball to the offended team at a designated spot at the division line on either
side of the playing court. After a single flagrant 2 technical foul or a single
contact dead ball technical foul, the ball shall be put back into play by a player
of the offended team at a designated spot at the division line at either side of the
playing court.
].

SLU should have been awarded 4 shots and the ball. Instead, they only got 2 technical FTs, then the 2 shots for the initial foul. Unlike most ref mistakes which are the result of an individual - in this case all 3 officials - i.e. the guys who were presumably being paid (or did we just find 3 random volunteers off the street?) to enforce the rules - didn't know the rules. On that note, I wish someone on SLU's bench had at least put up an argument. We were only up 5 with a minute left in the first half against a horrible team...it's not like the game was already decided.

These 2 sequences were the most egregious and most cut and dry, but there were countless bad calls, it would be an exercise in futility to try and go through them all.

The bottom line is that if we as a program are resigned to filling out the non-conference schedule with podunk teams that really don't have any business being D1, you better hire competent refs who are able to see through the cheap desperate tactics of an over-matched team.

Winston Stith, Matt Lee, and Garrick Shannon should never be allowed to ref another Billikens game.

(edited to clarify the sequence with the technical fouls)

I was a little confused on the double technical call involving Manning. I may be wrong but I don't remember the PA announcer saying it was a double technical. All I could remember was that he said Manning got the technical. It didn't look like Manning did anything (he could have said something). However I agree that it should have been a no call in the first place.

I was a little confused on the double technical call involving Manning. I may be wrong but I don't remember the PA announcer saying it was a double technical. All I could remember was that he said Manning got the technical. It didn't look like Manning did anything (he could have said something). However I agree that it should have been a no call in the first place.

All Manning did was a mild shoulder bump - the sort of incidental contact that occurs countless times every game. He wasn't called for a T when he did it. It was only after a different NCA&T player overreacted and shoved Manning right in front of the ref - which immediately drew a T - that the player Manning had the shoulder bump with started pleading to the officials that he was mugged - which is what led this band of fools to retroactively T up Manning.

In terms of numerical rules, we fans saw a rare straight flush of officiating in last night's game:

• The three-second violation (actually, two of them, perhaps more than we saw all of last season).
  • The five-second violation (doubled-down because it was a moving five-second violation, perhaps not seen since the Marquette game that was stolen from us more than a decade ago).
  • The ten-second violation (which, if you looked at the shot clock, was actually correct, but really weird given that no one was guarding the guy).
  • The simultaneous foul-and-technical.
  • The double-technical.

It would have been a royal straight flush, adding a shot-clock violation, had NCAT not rebounded at the end of the sequence in the second half where we'd managed to miss the rim on two consecutive close-in shots and the shot clock was down to 2.

I think last night's game actually surpassed the game where three referees, simultaneously, proved that they were incapable of counting to six without dropping their pants.

In terms of numerical rules, we fans saw a rare straight flush of officiating in last night's game:

• The three-second violation (actually, two of them, perhaps more than we saw all of last season).
  • The five-second violation (doubled-down because it was a moving five-second violation, perhaps not seen since the Marquette game that was stolen from us more than a decade ago).
  • The ten-second violation (which, if you looked at the shot clock, was actually correct, but really weird given that no one was guarding the guy).
  • The simultaneous foul-and-technical.
  • The double-technical.

It would have been a royal straight flush, adding a shot-clock violation, had NCAT not rebounded at the end of the sequence in the second half where we'd managed to miss the rim on two consecutive close-in shots and the shot clock was down to 2.

I think last night's game actually surpassed the game where three referees, simultaneously, proved that they were incapable of counting to six without dropping their pants.

Nice observations, bonwich. I was thinking at one point in the game that the refs seemed to be dusting off the shelves of their rarely-seen calls. Christmas clearance. Maybe the royal straight flush was completed by the triumphant return of 05, manning the "S" flag onto the court.

It looked at times as if one official was saying FU to the other one by countering his crappy call with another crappy call. The Manning foul was directly in front of me. No call would have been correct, but if a foul absolutely had to be called it would have been offensive as John played it perfectly. I said this after a previous game but John seems to get quite a few "just because he's big calls" I'm not saying he doesn't commit too many and maybe this leads to the officials just making the call against him. But he seems to get called for a foul a game that was not.

The short black guy was the worst of the 3, by far. At least we learned he can count to 3.