SLU makes the Tigerboard

Roy, I don't doubt that Romar raised visibility for SLU but coming close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades as they say. Spoon recruited - unsuccessfully - some top out of area talent so to say only Lorenzo did this is not completely true. My only problem with you saying Romar cleared the way for Brad to recruit locally and at Vashon is a bit overstated - when Romar left, Irons and many others were upset that Brad got the job for whatever the reasons. Brad getting Polk was a great coup because of this. I don't disagree that Spoon did not do what he needed to do in the recruiting area particularily locally but if you want to compare the two you have to use the facts not some possible intangible that can not be equated to actual results. Spoon did raise the bar - maybe by luck but it was raised none the less. We are still recovering from Romar time as it relates to a significant slid in attendance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attendance figures are the fault of a head coach? a head coach that had as good a record (outside of spoon's three big seasons) as spoon? i think attendance dropping steady had more to do with our lackadasical marketing and the rise of the rams and blues as it had to do with anything romar did.

romar was 19-14, 17-14 and 15-16. not sure where you get the 2 losing seasons from. right now, 2 of his 3 seasons have bettered brad's two seasons.

spoon was 12-17 in 92-93, 11-18 in 96-97, and 15-16 in 98-99. those three teams (especially the 96-97 team) were worse than anything romar ever threw out there.

Points of clarification...

1. Best Moment: Winning the conference tournament. No accomplishment is better than that in the past 50 years. I use 50 years as a guess based on the old NIT championship.

2. Spoon, not Romar, had losing records in 2 of his last 3 seasons:

96-97 11-18

97-98 22-11

98-99 15-16