Stu's Article on Newborne

http://tinyurl.com/3egco

Note the following:

It is possible SLU will have one more scholarship to give. The NCAA will vote next week on whether to eliminate the 5/8 rule that limits schools to five scholarships in one season and eight in two consecutive years. If the rule is abolished, SLU could sign one more player. Soderberg said he would not fill Tommie Liddell's spot if the East St. Louis star opts for prep school as expected.

"I like the relationship we have and I feel good about re-signing him," Soderberg said. "He's been very consistent with us as have his parents about wanting to play at St. Louis University. I'm as committed to him as I've ever been."

Coach Soderberg again expresses his loyalty to TL (and his appreciation of TL's abilities).

Next season's Billiken roster looks to be a 12-player roster, plus walk-ons. Today, the roster stands at 11 scholarship players. A juco perimeter player will apparently be the 12th player. This move will also balance the SLU roster with 3 seniors (RB,IO,TF), 3 juniors (AD, VN, unnamed juco), 3 sophmores (DC, JJ, IY) and 3 frosh (BH,DP,LM).

i talked to a good family friend of the lisch's this morning who said that rusty and kevin indeed did go to champaign on tuesday. what i gathered from the conversation is that while the visit was nice, kevin hasnt reshuffled his order of preference. :-)

statement about TL and his family, while TL has yet to opt for prep school, BS has the liberty to talk about TL publicly, after he opts for prep school I suspect coach will not be allowed to comment until after he signs a letter of intent.

I like what I hear about VN, "making us better immediately" finishing around the basket, 50% of his rebounds ofensive...with no disrespect to CS finishing around the basket was what he struggled with. TF had the most O rebounds but only 33% of his total. BS will have many different lineups to choose from. This may be the deepest the billikens have been in a long time....

Agree with 3Star. Newborne is an inch or two shorter than everybody would like at 4 but if coach says this guys makes us "immediately better" then I say "amen" as Brad has proved he can judge talent. Same thing applies to andrew washington, 6'4" JUCO forward out of the corn stalks. We need help on the wing and if coach thinks Washington can help, then I am all for it. As the guest points out, an added benefit of landing another JUCO is class balance.

Brad says that he won't fill Tommie's spot if he goes to prep school, does that still mean we're going after Washington?

Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Thanks David. I wasn't sure if we were talking about using the McClain scholarship or Tommie's. I'm sure Tommie would understand if we signed another swingman. Besides, if we sign a juco player, he and Tommie would only have to compete for playing time for one year. If we can get Washington (or a player like him), then Tommie and Lisch the next year, this team could be good enough to be "tourney bound" for quite a while!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer