'12-'13 front line on the surface

slu72

Hey FDL, if you expect every fan to kiss the coach's ass when he does something disagreeable, then count me off the bandwagon. Great season by Rick. No question. But it does not change the fact that what he is saying to the media about our players is flat out wrong. Why he does it, god only knows.

What do you want him to say about our players? Do I think JJ is pretty athletic, yeah? CR can get up there for some blocks, sure. KM makes some amazing drives with the ball in his hands, yup. But we really arent that athletic when you compare us to elite programs. I love our guys, but come on telling them that they are on the same athletic level as KY players is just lying to them, not preparing them for what they are going to face and makes RM look stupid.

Do you want RM to say "boy our guys are some athletic players! Same level as the elite programs, no doubt!"? He already praises the players non stop for what they truly are GREAT STUDENT ATHLETES and SOON TO BE GREAT CONTRIBUTORS to society. Those are more important praises then, "oh yeah, totally we are athletic... Michigan State won't know what hit them when we jump out the building". Come on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey FDL, if you expect every fan to kiss the coach's ass when he does something disagreeable, then count me off the bandwagon. Great season by Rick. No question. But it does not change the fact that what he is saying to the media about our players is flat out wrong. Why he does it, god only knows.

maybe the underlying point is if the players arent really good enough but the team wins that means that the coach was just so great they overcame their lesser talent. it's all about rick.

RM is a classic example of using the "underpromise and overdeliver" philosophy to his benefit. What good does it do to brag about your team to the media? If you win, the media will figure out that we're pretty darn good and maybe a little more athletic than lead to believe (see the Brando reference in this thread) and people will be pleasantly suprised and SLU is a great story. If we lose, it keeps the media and public from bashing us as frauds allowing the players to avoid having to deal with all the negativity.

RM clearly plays down our ability publicly when it suits his agenda...he did it when he first got to SLU and continues to do it. While I don't have first hand knowledge, hearing the way BC and KC speak about RM I am confident in saying the tone and message he delivers behind closed doors is much different that the "poor little 'ol SLU, we'll be lucky to compete" he feeds the media.

This.

Way too much getting bent out of shape about RM on this thread.

maybe the underlying point is if the players arent really good enough but the team wins that means that the coach was just so great they overcame their lesser talent. it's all about rick.

Brian Conklin thinks you are full of Sh!t.

What do you want him to say about our players? Do I think JJ is pretty athletic, yeah? CR can get up there for some blocks, sure. KM makes some amazing drives with the ball in his hands, yup. But we really arent that athletic when you compare us to elite programs. I love our guys, but come on telling them that they are on the same athletic level as KY players is just lying to them, not preparing them for what they are going to face and makes RM look stupid.

Do you want RM to say "boy our guys are some athletic players! Same level as the elite programs, no doubt!"? He already praises the players non stop for what they truly are GREAT STUDENT ATHLETES and SOON TO BE GREAT CONTRIBUTORS to society. Those are more important praises then, "oh yeah, totally we are athletic... Michigan State won't know what hit them when we jump out the building". Come on.

+1 He consistently praises their character and commitment to being true student-athletes. He heaps a ton of praise on the players. He took the blame for the URI game. I also really respected the way RM went out of his way to praise KC after his role was reduced this season. RM consistently mentioned what a great teammate KC was and how valuable he was to the team.

BC's loss is very signifcant, he was our only banger, not a shot blocker but a force, and he threw in 14ppg. RL and CE got tougher inside this yr, they need to step up another notch and then the unknowns, Manning and/or Glaze provide some surprise height-muscle. We never seem to get that one inside force power role player PF 6'8" - 6'9" 260 - 270 that can get 6-10 ppg and 6-10 rpg.

A few comments about WR, hey, he would have helped us tremendously, are you kidding? Difference maker, we beat Michigan State with WR.

I think some of our ex-players that play for $ 25K + expenses are foolish, MBA types should start their careers. Some have lesser options, fine, go play for 5-6 yrs.

BC is free to make his choice, but to play for $ 25K for a few years vs getting his career started with a top notch company with his SLU MBA is a decision I would question. But, his decision, get it out of his system. If he lingers for 4-5 yrs he will not be as attactive to the business world, and he would have given up est. $ 100+K a yr + benefits, etc.

RM is a great coach, quit nit picking on him. He has a unique approach, promise little, deliver more, it works, the kids love him, if it wasn't for getting John Cooked last year this would be the third year of a great run and the media would not be wondering where we came from... get off his back.

I don't like to call people out much but this is a cheap shot IMO. RM downplaying our team's ability is just part of gamesmanship...coaches do this ALL THE TIME.

RM NEVER downplays the ability of our kids in the classroom or as young men.

Why Roy????????? One of RM's go to lines is that players win games not coaches. Big Time cheap shot.

And with this post, Roy, you kind of made it all about yourself and your need to take shots at Majerus. This kind of post should really be beneath you, IMO.