My Personal Jumbo Jett Merry-Go-Round

Taj79

I stand corrected, Jett has a great mid-range game. I know TT said so, but, seeing as that is not enough for me, I went a little further. I checked the stats, as best I could. I used my dad's old mantra of "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t. If all else fails, use statistics."

And, moy & bizz, I am wrong. This season, according to the stats on SLUBillikens.com, JJ is shooting 64 for 130 or 49.2%. Feelin ghe was shortchanged and not happy with that, I backed out his 2-of-7 three point shooting (I did not realize he made BOTH his threes on the same night in the Nova game back on November 25th) and realized, from the floor, he is actually shooting 50.4%. Again, I'm wrong, how could I have thought otherwise?.

But just to be sure (and further cement kshoe's belief in me being an idiot) I wanted to do as I have said, namely backing out JJ's dunks, lay-ups, and tip ins -- shots I don't consider to be part of the mid-range game just as treys shouldn't be counted either. I can't do that --- completely. Unfortunately, he seems to have taken 44 shots (35.8%) in games which ESPN did not post a play-by-play record. BUT ---- of the remaining shots, he's still cooking at a decent percentage of 53.8% (the numbers don't add up and I'm blaming that on my math -- missing an attempt somewhere along the line) at 42 of 78. I'll defer to kwijybo as to answer if this is a statistical significance.

Now to be fair, of the games on ESPN play-by-play, we must also back out the same lay-ups, tip-ins and dunks, both made and missed. They don't count. Unfortunately, when it comes to the mid-range, the only identifier on ESPN is "XXXXXX made/missed jumper." In that regard, and in the 15 games left to tally, JJ has shot 11 of 30 or 36.7% from somewhere in between lay ups and the three point line. I can't help but wonder if the missing numbers make it all the more better.

Strangely, the statistics show weird anomolies. Like, on the average JJ is taking about 2 mid-range shots per game. I would think our best mid-ranger would be going off better (like Earl Pettis at La Salle last night) but I'm writing that off to the fact that he is smart enough to let the game come to him. Of the 78 shots taken in the 15-game play-by-play, JJ has attempted 48 lay ups/tip in/dunks versus those 30 jumpers. Why would our best mid-range shooter show an almost 2 to 1 avoidance of that particular shot? Oddly his preference, statistically speaking, is to shoot the lay up or in close shot in 61.5% of his shot attempts excluding the treys.

He's our best. I stand corrected. Last time I'll say anything on this subject.

I stand corrected, Jett has a great mid-range game. I know TT said so, but, seeing as that is not enough for me, I went a little further. I checked the stats, as best I could. I used my dad's old mantra of "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullsh*t. If all else fails, use statistics."

And, moy & bizz, I am wrong. This season, according to the stats on SLUBillikens.com, JJ is shooting 64 for 130 or 49.2%. Feelin ghe was shortchanged and not happy with that, I backed out his 2-of-7 three point shooting (I did not realize he made BOTH his threes on the same night in the Nova game back on November 25th) and realized, from the floor, he is actually shooting 50.4%. Again, I'm wrong, how could I have thought otherwise?.

But just to be sure (and further cement kshoe's belief in me being an idiot) I wanted to do as I have said, namely backing out JJ's dunks, lay-ups, and tip ins -- shots I don't consider to be part of the mid-range game just as treys shouldn't be counted either. I can't do that --- completely. Unfortunately, he seems to have taken 44 shots (35.8%) in games which ESPN did not post a play-by-play record. BUT ---- of the remaining shots, he's still cooking at a decent percentage of 53.8% (the numbers don't add up and I'm blaming that on my math -- missing an attempt somewhere along the line) at 42 of 78. I'll defer to kwijybo as to answer if this is a statistical significance.

Now to be fair, of the games on ESPN play-by-play, we must also back out the same lay-ups, tip-ins and dunks, both made and missed. They don't count. Unfortunately, when it comes to the mid-range, the only identifier on ESPN is "XXXXXX made/missed jumper." In that regard, and in the 15 games left to tally, JJ has shot 11 of 30 or 36.7% from somewhere in between lay ups and the three point line. I can't help but wonder if the missing numbers make it all the more better.

Strangely, the statistics show weird anomolies. Like, on the average JJ is taking about 2 mid-range shots per game. I would think our best mid-ranger would be going off better (like Earl Pettis at La Salle last night) but I'm writing that off to the fact that he is smart enough to let the game come to him. Of the 78 shots taken in the 15-game play-by-play, JJ has attempted 48 lay ups/tip in/dunks versus those 30 jumpers. Why would our best mid-range shooter show an almost 2 to 1 avoidance of that particular shot? Oddly his preference, statistically speaking, is to shoot the lay up or in close shot in 61.5% of his shot attempts excluding the treys.

He's our best. I stand corrected. Last time I'll say anything on this subject.

slow day at the pentagon? i thought we are about to go to war in the mid-east? all that research puts an end to that rumor i was reading at townhall.com. :D

@roy -----I am just the messenger. It is tough to deliver a message when you don't know what it is. I'm pretty sure that if the current mindset were the mindset 70 or so years ago, our national animal would be the Italian greyhound, our main staple would be some food ending in -wurst, and we'd all be washing it down with some poorly concocted,warm rice-based beverage called Sake.

Lead .... or get the hell out of the way.

Adding in the Rhode Island game, JJ missed four layups and three jumpers. He is now 11 of 33 from jumper land or 33%. Meaning he makes one of three shots but only takes about 2 jumpers a game. Lots of drought time inthere. Of the 85 shots in ESPN play=by=play, he has now taken 52 lay ups and 33 jumpers. Last night's 0-for-7 effort was his worst; he did have an 0-for-6 earlier.

Still of th eopinion he is going to need huge improvements going forward.

Adding in the Rhode Island game, JJ missed four layups and three jumpers. He is now 11 of 33 from jumper land or 33%. Meaning he makes one of three shots but only takes about 2 jumpers a game. Lots of drought time inthere. Of the 85 shots in ESPN play=by=play, he has now taken 52 lay ups and 33 jumpers. Last night's 0-for-7 effort was his worst; he did have an 0-for-6 earlier.

Still of th eopinion he is going to need huge improvements going forward.

I'm not sure how you are calculating your stats. The number I had earlier, which was as of the first dayton game, was 7-13 for "jumpers" from espn play-by-play (for games they had play-by-play available). Since that time, i have him going 9-25 for "jumpers" from espn play-by-play (for games they had play-by-play available). 9-25 = 36%. Overall, I have him at 16-38 for 42%. These numbers do not include layups or 3 point jumpers. So, I'm not sure where your 11 of 33 is coming from.

Here are my list of games since the Dayton game, for which I previously posted game-by-game jumper stats:

0-3 – temple

1-5- UNCC

0-0 – duq

0-1 – x

3-3 – umass

1-2 – sbu

1-2 – day

0-1 – ls

0-2- rich

3-3 – ford

0-3 - uri

9-25 overall

I agree, he needs to improve his "jumper" percentage, but it is not bad at all. More shocking to me when i review the play-by-play (and evident from the eye test while watching the games), he is blowing a lot of layups, relatively speaking. More important to me is his conversion rate when he takes it to the hole. As you point out, his game is geared toward driving the ball to the hoop,. so we definitely need him to be better in that aspect.

@moy ---- your numbers as stated line up with what I have except the Charlotte game where one miss was a tip and I did not count that. What I also have in my totals adding the URI game( 0/3)and last night's X game(1/3)is 0/0 at SIU; 0/1 with BC; 2/3 Nova; 1/2 Oklahoma; 1/1 Vermont; 0/0 Illinois Spfld; 1/2 Texas-So; and 0/0 first Dayton game.

So taking out the one and dropping it to 9/24, adding in 6/12, I get 15 of 36 = 41.7% Is 42% a good mid-range shooting percentage? Absolutely! But is taking 1.8 shots per game make it relevant? I'll say no and we can agree to disagree.

In the long run, I'd like to see JJ develop into our basket attacker. He needs to do thi sunder control and be able to recognize that when he is in the trees and in trouble, there are bombers on the external perimeter ready to bail him out. If there is no tree help, you take it strong to the hole. He still sneed to work on hi sFTs however. The form looked good last night but he still only went 50%. If he is in the game late, as I expect himn to be, he's needs to be money at the line. Shooting 59% won't cut it.

I am done with this subject. A total team heading into March. A few holes, but a damn fine squad.

@moy ---- your numbers as stated line up with what I have except the Charlotte game where one miss was a tip and I did not count that. What I also have in my totals adding the URI game( 0/3)and last night's X game(1/3)is 0/0 at SIU; 0/1 with BC; 2/3 Nova; 1/2 Oklahoma; 1/1 Vermont; 0/0 Illinois Spfld; 1/2 Texas-So; and 0/0 first Dayton game.

So taking out the one and dropping it to 9/24, adding in 6/12, I get 15 of 36 = 41.7% Is 42% a good mid-range shooting percentage? Absolutely! But is taking 1.8 shots per game make it relevant? I'll say no and we can agree to disagree.

In the long run, I'd like to see JJ develop into our basket attacker. He needs to do thi sunder control and be able to recognize that when he is in the trees and in trouble, there are bombers on the external perimeter ready to bail him out. If there is no tree help, you take it strong to the hole. He still sneed to work on hi sFTs however. The form looked good last night but he still only went 50%. If he is in the game late, as I expect himn to be, he's needs to be money at the line. Shooting 59% won't cut it.

I am done with this subject. A total team heading into March. A few holes, but a damn fine squad.

If only this were true! ;)