GDT: Texass Sluthern Gooniversity

jimbofive

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like there are 2 different discussions going on here at the same time. On the one hand, we have to make our program attractive RPI-wise for the NCAA Tournament Committee and on the other hand we have to make the schedule attractive to the season ticket holders.

I, for one, would prefer less quantity (1 or 2 games) for more quality. If we cannot get better quality "buy" games, then do more home and away match-ups like Roy is suggesting.

I also think it's great that we play the likes of Oklahoma, Villanova and BC in a tournament but I am not interested in a schedule which results in BCS teams/schools of interest only in tournaments or neutral court games while my season ticket package includes the likes Texas Southern, Arkansas State, IL -Springfield and Alabama State.... and don't forget that wonderful season opener against St. Ambrose followed up by Tennessee State!! One of the best teams we have had in years --- and one of the worst home schedules we have had in years!!

Remember, however, that had the athletic director at Southwest Missouri not been too busy sampling the products from the university meth lab, we would have had SMSU instead of the Prairie Ostriches for one of our games, which in and of itself would have helped the home-and-home ratio and our SOS.

as the home and homes run off (for example, we are done with portland) the new home and homes need to be set up so there is a balance.

assuming as you do above that next year we have to be 3 home and 2 away next year, take the 3 new series we should set up and schedule 2 of them away and 1 starting at home. then you have 4 at home and 4 on the road.

going forward be sure to renew or start a new series in the appropriate home or away to keep it balanced.

if you still dont see it. i could come over and do an illustration with rocks or beer caps to symbolize home and away games for you.

I understand all about balance Roy. Perhaps it is you that don't understand. If we continued with the 5 HHs every year and 6 buy games every year we would on average play 8.5 non-conference home games a year. Your plan would have us playing 7 home games a year. It really is that simple.

Now that being said, this year was a bit of an abberation as we had to delay the return game that we owe to Chicago St. in order to schedule the New Mexico road game. Next year the "base case" will be 6 HH games (3 at home and 3 on the road) which is an improvement. The 3 home games are already set (LMU, SIU and New Mexico) and 2 of the road games are set (Washington and Chicago St.). That only gives us one more series to add and it would start at the other team's place. Now, it sounds like we are trying to get some big time names to add another 2 HH games to get to your 8. And that is great, as long as they are names that excite people. If they are teams like I've described above (LMU, Detroit, Portland, etc.) I'd say no thanks. We can all agree that adding 2 more HH games with names like Butler, Creighton, Florida, etc. would be a great thing.