2011-2012 Prediction Thread

slufan13

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins will the Billikens have this year?

• 10-12
    • 13-15
    • 16-18
    • 19-21
    • 22-24
    • 25-27
    • 28-29

We tend to look at this dance thing in a vacumn, ie how well we do. No doubt it's important we offer a quality resume come selection Sunday, but we can't ignore how the BCS "maybe's" and other strong mid major's are performing. Will the Beast get 11 invites again? That's a ridiculously high number, so let's hope not. Will there be a mid major conf or two that gets 2 like last year with GM and VCU? The point being is we're not alone and we'll have to be watching what's taking place elsewhere around the country. Right now there are likely 50 teams that are virtual locks to make it, so we're likely competing for one of 18 spots against 60 teams that have reasonable aspirations of making the dance. These are just rough numbers but we've clearly got to win some name games this year that separate us from this pack of 60.

50 locks? Lmao, don't be ridiculous, dude. That would mean the other spots would mainly be reserved for low-end conferences because they'll get their conference champion is. We might as well forfeit our season now. We don't have a chance!!

For the love do the math. There are 31 automatic conference bids of which none will be the billikens. Now take the 6 bcs conferences, in all likelihood, to say they are only a lock for 19 at large bids leaving only 18 more at large bids is likey a low estimate. Those six conferences will likely ****** more than that. There probably will be less that 12 non bcs at large spots.

For the love do the math. There are 31 automatic conference bids of which none will be the billikens. Now take the 6 bcs conferences, in all likelihood, to say they are only a lock for 19 at large bids leaving only 18 more at large bids is likey a low estimate. Those six conferences will likely ****** more than that. There probably will be less that 12 non bcs at large spots.

You're missing the point. If we have to play good to make the tourney, so does every other team. No teams are locks at this point. If it was that clear cut there would be no need to have a regular season. And I do believe we have a shot at getting the A10 automatic bid.

No for da love, you are not understanding slu72's reality. If slu doesn't win the A-10 auto bid, there indeed will be at least 50 spots between all auto bids and the at large bcs spots. To ridicule that is naive.

• 3 months later...

A majority of our posters here appear to be pretty close to the right number here. The Bills stand at 22-5 with three games left.

I hope to not be right, as I said 23 and would be disappointed with just one win over our last 3.

• 2 weeks later...

You're missing the point. If we have to play good to make the tourney, so does every other team. No teams are locks at this point. If it was that clear cut there would be no need to have a regular season. And I do believe we have a shot at getting the A10 automatic bid.

For Da Love, by virtual locks I meant the BCS'ers who don't win their tourney still get preference over the lesser conferences because they have built in RPI protection. As Broy stated, 31 of the bids are locks to the conf winners. With 6 BCS conferences I predicted an avg of 3 teams from each conf would be just about guaranteed a spot because you are going to have some very good teams who don't win the conf tourney. Look at the Big 10 as an example; 1 conf champ (? at this point) but they'll probably garner another 4 or 5 bids in addition: MSU, OSU, UM, UW, UI. My point was these bids were virtual locks before the season even began because these teams would have good resumes. Now at the other end of the BCS spectrum is the PAC 12. Who could've predicted back in Oct this conference would suck as bad as it has and may end up w/ only one bid? Back then you could have made a case for at least 3 to 4 Pac 12's having virtual locks; UCLA, UW, CAL, and AZ. But they've all stumbled and fumbled this year away. Still their lost bids will likely go to one or two BCS teams from other conferences and a couple to some good mid teams like GZ or ST.Mary's or Wichita St. I'll still stick by my prediction that 18-20 BCS non tourney winners will make the dance. Which comes out to my roughly 50 teams that are virtual locks every year to make the dance. Don't look at like teams being virtual locks, look at it as reserved bids, 31 reserved for conf winners and 18-19 for good BCS teams if you will. So year in and year out SLU, unless they win the conf tourney, will be battling for one of the open 18 slots left. Which means we're going to have to keep on having seasons like this year's. That is the sad reality of the NCAA with a field of 68 teams. And why I'd like to see it expanded to 96 teams. The top 40 teams get a bye, and then 48 teams have a play in game to fill in the open 24 spots. This format would eliminate the griping and whining we're gonna hear from a lot of teams that don't make it come selection Sunday. Heck, with all the computer stuff going on, you might not even need a selection committee other than to make regional adjustments.