Timmerman on SLU/conference shakeup

superslu

Butler has parlayed being the biggest fish in a small pond into multiple NCAA bids and new found name recognition as a perceived mid-major basketball power.

One wonders just how many of those Butler NCAA Tournament appearances would have even happened had Butler been in the A-10.

The Butler poster on this board would know more, but my take is Butler will stay in the Horizon unless it receives an invitation from something above the A-10, such as the Basketball side of the Big East.

This being said, it would seem that from the A-10 and SLU's perspective, Butler would be a good addition to the A-10, and provide an opponent closer to St. Louis, reachable by bus.

Butler has parlayed being the biggest fish in a small pond into multiple NCAA bids and new found name recognition as a perceived mid-major basketball power.

One wonders just how many of those Butler NCAA Tournament appearances would have even happened had Butler been in the A-10.

The Butler poster on this board would know more, but my take is Butler will stay in the Horizon unless it receives an invitation from something above the A-10, such as the Basketball side of the Big East.

This being said, it would seem that from the A-10 and SLU's perspective, Butler would be a good addition to the A-10, and provide an opponent closer to St. Louis, reachable by bus.

I hear what is being said about Butler but the problem Butler has is will they be able to continue to recruit like they have? time will tell and yes I know Zaga has done it for awhile but they have seemed to kind of slipped some the past few years - yes I would be happy for SLU to have their recent performance. Butler may see a need to move on but it would be on their terms and not the A10. I would also agree that they would be under much more pressure in the A10 and their success may not have been so consistent.

I hear what is being said about Butler but the problem Butler has is will they be able to continue to recruit like they have? time will tell and yes I know Zaga has done it for awhile but they have seemed to kind of slipped some the past few years - yes I would be happy for SLU to have their recent performance. Butler may see a need to move on but it would be on their terms and not the A10. I would also agree that they would be under much more pressure in the A10 and their success may not have been so consistent.

I would think Butler will be able to recruit as long as it can keep its current coach.

The reason teams join/switch conferences is for the money. The A10 has zero financial incentives. The leagues TV contract is a joke whereby the entity with broadcast rights finds it more profitable to not air games than to air them. Playing a regular set of teams and starting each season with half your games set would be the same in their current conference as with the A10.

Teams like Notre Dame/football might finally join the Big 10 where each team (Northwestern and Minnesota included) will share more than the $15 million that ND is making now. $20 million plus is the lure. The SEC is paying out $17 million plus as compared to Mizzou's current $7 or $8 million.

Joining the the A10 pays SLU what, $1 million per year? If SLU can consistently field a competitive team, the St. Louis TV market should easily be able to pay SLU $1 million per year. Frankly, I'm just glad SLU is in a conference because seeing how much trouble SLU has to fill its OOC schedule, I don't think we could schedule 27 or so games on our own.

Notre Dame already has the Big Ten market covered. That's why it's Big East or ACC for them in other sports. They want to keep that independent football money, and National Exposure on NBC. And for other sports, they want markets important to them for recruiting, exposure, money. Joining the Big Ten wouldn't give them any more of that than they already have.

The reason teams join/switch conferences is for the money. The A10 has zero financial incentives. The leagues TV contract is a joke whereby the entity with broadcast rights finds it more profitable to not air games than to air them. Playing a regular set of teams and starting each season with half your games set would be the same in their current conference as with the A10.

Teams like Notre Dame/football might finally join the Big 10 where each team (Northwestern and Minnesota included) will share more than the $15 million that ND is making now. $20 million plus is the lure. The SEC is paying out $17 million plus as compared to Mizzou's current $7 or $8 million.

Joining the the A10 pays SLU what, $1 million per year? If SLU can consistently field a competitive team, the St. Louis TV market should easily be able to pay SLU $1 million per year. Frankly, I'm just glad SLU is in a conference because seeing how much trouble SLU has to fill its OOC schedule, I don't think we could schedule 27 or so games on our own.

-clock, i think you are right on here with one exception and that is scheduling, i mean we have TBD that i think will become rockhurst :P how many schools can claim that?!

-one additional thought is nd's schedule strength going to the b10 would increase imo thereby making a bcs trip harder for them than the current set up

http://gmuhoops.tumblr.com/post/10479395863

Good grief.

Deferral baby, deferral.

Piecing things together, reading the Marquette board (muscoop.com) and the latest NY Times article, it looks like the Big East will stay together through 2013, or what would be the 2013-14 basketball season. Reason- the Big East is holding Pitt and Syracuse to the 27 months, which ironically was reportedly insisted upon by the Pitt Chancellor. This would include the Basketball schools staying with the Football schools.

But a tug-of-war for Philly could be on the horizon between Villanova and Temple for Big East football. That is a real juicy continuing saga to watch. See the NY Times article.

Also that NY Times article says UConn has no place to go (other than staying in the Big East), but throws in the MAC with UMass. That was interpreted here as a shot at UConn. The ACC is staying at 14, leaving 2 spots open for a big catch like Notre Dame or Texas.

Per that NY Times article, UConn does not have an Athletic Director and has a new President. I've considered UConn, a charter Big East member, as part of the glue holding the two sides of the Big East together. UConn may now need to pledge allegiance to the Big East for its own good.

http://gmuhoops.tumblr.com/post/10479395863

Good grief.

Deferral baby, deferral.

Piecing things together, reading the Marquette board (muscoop.com) and the latest NY Times article, it looks like the Big East will stay together through 2013, or what would be the 2013-14 basketball season. Reason- the Big East is holding Pitt and Syracuse to the 27 months, which ironically was reportedly insisted upon by the Pitt Chancellor. This would include the Basketball schools staying with the Football schools.

But a tug-of-war for Philly could be on the horizon between Villanova and Temple for Big East football. That is a real juicy continuing saga to watch. See the NY Times article.

Also that NY Times article says UConn has no place to go (other than staying in the Big East), but throws in the MAC with UMass. That was interpreted here as a shot at UConn. The ACC is staying at 14, leaving 2 spots open for a big catch like Notre Dame or Texas.

Per that NY Times article, UConn does not have an Athletic Director and has a new President. I've considered UConn, a charter Big East member, as part of the glue holding the two sides of the Big East together. UConn may now need to pledge allegiance to the Big East for its own good.

Makes zero sense to me to offer Temple back into the Big East fold when they forced them out almost a decade ago. "We know you still suck to holy hell in football, Temple, but we're willing to make you the sacrificial lamb again if you'd like."

Temple is not a Big East-ready football institution...don't let that game against Penn State fool you either. PSU is on the downside of a very slippery slope in Happy Valley.

In the end it this looks to be turning out well for SLU. We really didn't want the explosion to happen this soon. We wanted a few more years, so we can prove that we can sell out our arena, maintain a large fan base, and win games.

JUST WIN BABY! The rest will all fall into place.

Butler in the A-10? I think it would be a great fit.

Notre Dame already has the Big Ten market covered. That's why it's Big East or ACC for them in other sports. They want to keep that independent football money, and National Exposure on NBC. And for other sports, they want markets important to them for recruiting, exposure, money. Joining the Big Ten wouldn't give them any more of that than they already have.

Court. That certainly was the argument for ND when they signed their NBC deal in the past. Since then, the ND football program and their TV ratings have taken a nosedive. Also, the top brass at NBC who had personal ties/connection/love for ND are gone. Now, it's all business and I doubt ND will be able to renew such a deal. Even now, some their national games are being demoted to regional telecasts. ND's first two lossess to start this season and knock them out of the BCS picture also did not help. Even if ND could renew this contract at $15 million per year (and I doubt NBC would do that now) this would be substantially less than the also-rans of both the Big 10 and the SEC. ND views its rival in football, among others, to be Texas and yet now they have the Longhorn Network and its $100 million (but possibly no conference) and ND has what again? this questionable NBC contract?

IMO, ND will choose the best financial course of action for them. If this means to remain independent and obtain a new and lucrative TV deal, they will do so. If instead it means joining one of the 4 super BCS conferences, they will have no choice but to do so no matter what their alumni and tradition might suggest. Right now, ND has the best of both world: independence and the NBC TV deal for football and the Big East for basketball (probably best conference) and all their other sports (in with other Catholic/East Coast schools).

The landscape of college football and conferences though is changing and ND is not imune.