June, 24, 2011

Jun 24

11:48

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments19

By Jared Zwerling

His stats don't jump out at you at first. But when you consider the offensive system he was playing in and who was playing in front of him, then you realize what could've been.

With Kentucky head coach John Calipari orchestrating his trademark dribble-drive motion offense, favoring his perimeter players, Brandon Knight (17.3 points per game), Terrence Jones (15.7 ppg), Doron Lamb (12.3 ppg), Darius Miller (10.9 ppg) and DeAndre Liggins (8.6 ppg) took advantage. And even while those guys were getting theirs, center Josh Harrellson, who was the Knicks' second-round draft pick, still managed to average close to a double-double (7.6 rebounds and 8.7 rebounds), helping the Wildcats reach the 2011 Final Four. He also put up a very respectable 1.5 blocks and 0.9 steals per game.

Harrellson became a 'Bocker after the team purchased his rights from the New Orleans Hornets with the 45th pick. At Iman Shumpert's introductory press conference on Friday afternoon, Mike D'Antoni said that the four-year starter's biggest strength was -- you guessed it -- his big 6-10, 275-pound frame.

"He’s a wide body. He’s a big guy," D'Antoni said. "He just showed a lot of improvement in his senior year at Kentucky. The thing we liked about him is that he came in and had a very good workout against [16th pick] Nikola Vucevic, who he guarded. [Harrellson] banged him around. He’s not a sure thing, but we’re happy with that pick. A lot of our scouts liked him even higher, and hopefully we can say we got away with one like we did with Landry Fields."

Harrellson may not crack the rotation in the first half of next season -- heck, he may even have to start September with the Erie BayHawks, the Knicks' new single-affiliate D-League team. But, as I explained today as the main guest on TheKnicksBlog TV, Harrellson has the potential to be a poor man's Kevin Love.

Not only is Harrellson charismatic and a vocal leader like Love, but he has quick hands, great anticipation in the post, and he can pick-and-pop and knock down the outside shot. Of course, Love has additional range, and he's a more complete player and better passer. But don't count out Harrellson making a lasting impression like Woody Harrelson did in the movie "White Men Can't Jump."

He isn't even a homeless man's Kevin Love.

He will play in the league, but for the writer to compare him to Kevin Love is foolish and the only reason it was probably done is because they are both white.

Even homeless people don't wear Jorts.

I like how they said he averaged "close to a double-double."

He's the next Brian Scalabrine.

He isn't even a homeless man's Kevin Love.

He will play in the league, but for the writer to compare him to Kevin Love is foolish and the only reason it was probably done is because they are both white.

Agreed. Love's skillset in college was light years ahead of anything Harrelson showed. Harrelson has the potential to be a nice role-player in the league, coming in and grabbing some boards and providing hustle minutes. But he has not shown anything that should lead anyone to think he can be another Kevin Love, or even remotely close to him.

Four year starter?????

Ha! I missed that in my initial read. Brian nailed it about the comparison only being made because they are both white.

I have a hard time seeing Harrellson on the Knicks roster this fall but considering they paid $750k to move up to draft him he'll certainly be given every chance to make the team.

I'm normally a believer that it doesn't really matter where you go to play in college, the NBA scouts will find you if you are good enough, but this example is certainly the exception to the rule. If Kanter had been eligible, JH would have never seen the court at UK. Instead, he is forced into the lineup and due to him never being the focus of the other teams defense, he puts up reasonable numbers. Somehow, he parlays that success to a 2nd round pick.

The thing that bothers me the most is the Calipari will now be able to tell fringe recruits that if they sign with UK, even if they ride the bench for three years, he'll be able to get them to the NBA because he did it for JH.

Ha! I missed that in my initial read. Brian nailed it about the comparison only being made because they are both white.

I have a hard time seeing Harrellson on the Knicks roster this fall but considering they paid $750k to move up to draft him he'll certainly be given every chance to make the team.

I'm normally a believer that it doesn't really matter where you go to play in college, the NBA scouts will find you if you are good enough, but this example is certainly the exception to the rule. If Kanter had been eligible, JH would have never seen the court at UK. Instead, he is forced into the lineup and due to him never being the focus of the other teams defense, he puts up reasonable numbers. Somehow, he parlays that success to a 2nd round pick.

The thing that bothers me the most is the Calipari will now be able to tell fringe recruits that if they sign with UK, even if they ride the bench for three years, he'll be able to get them to the NBA because he did it for JH.

I would call 15pts, 9rebs, and 78% from the field in the NCAA tourney, more than reasonable numbers. Leading the SEC in field goal percentage and averaging 9rpg isnt a bad regular season either. Also here's the Knicks roster. You'll see that the only guys his size on the team are Stoudemire, Turiaf, Jeffries, and Shelden Williams. Stoudemire doesnt want to play center, and Jeffries is not a center at all. Looks like by default as the roster currently stands he's got a great shot to make the team as at worst the 3rd center, and in addition to that Williams, Jeffries, and Turiaf are all free agents. Looks like Josh is the economical guy to keep around for cheap. The only big under contract for next season on the Knicks appears to be Stoudemire.

Knicks Roster

2011-12 Roster

NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS

7 Carmelo Anthony F 6-8 230 05/29/1984 Syracuse 8

32 Renaldo Balkman F 6-8 208 07/14/1984 South Carolina 5

4 Chauncey Billups G 6-3 210 09/25/1976 Colorado 14

2 Derrick Brown F 6-8 220 09/08/1987 Xavier

(Ohio) 2

25 Anthony Carter G 6-2 195 06/16/1975 Hawaii 12

23 Toney Douglas G 6-2 185 03/16/1986 Florida State 2

6 Landry Fields G 6-7 210 06/27/1988 Stanford 1

Josh Harrellson F 6-10 275 02/12/1989 Kentucky R

9 Jared Jeffries F 6-11 240 11/25/1981 Indiana 9

18 Roger Mason Jr. G 6-5 205 09/10/1980 Virginia 8

11 Andy Rautins G 6-4 190 11/02/1986 Syracuse 1

Iman Shumpert G 6-5 212 06/26/1990 Georgia Tech R

1 Amar'e Stoudemire F-C 6-10 240 11/16/1982 Cypress Creek (Orlando, FL) 9

14 Ronny Turiaf C 6-10 245 01/13/1983 Gonzaga 6

5 Bill Walker G-F 6-6 220 10/09/1987 Kansas State 3

3 Shawne Williams F 6-9 230 02/16/1986 Memphis 5

13 Shelden Williams F 6-9 250 10/21/1983 Duke 5

I would call 15pts, 9rebs, and 78% from the field in the NCAA tourney, more than reasonable numbers. Leading the SEC in field goal percentage and averaging 9rpg isnt a bad regular season either. Also here's the Knicks roster. You'll see that the only guys his size on the team are Stoudemire, Turiaf, Jeffries, and Shelden Williams. Stoudemire doesnt want to play center, and Jeffries is not a center at all. Looks like by default as the roster currently stands he's got a great shot to make the team as at worst the 3rd center, and in addition to that Williams, Jeffries, and Turiaf are all free agents. Looks like Josh is the economical guy to keep around for cheap. The only big under contract for next season on the Knicks appears to be Stoudemire.

Knicks Roster

2011-12 Roster

(Ohio) 2

Of course, there will be free agent signings too. Either way, good for JH. He has a shot to make an NBA bench and that's more than a lot of people can say. I don't think he'll have much impact for any team he plays with; I see him as a much lesser version of Aaron Gray.

Knicks Roster

2011-12 Roster

(Ohio) 2

I am happy for Josh that he was able to parlay a nice NCAA tourney into a 2nd round draft pick. It also looks like he will be kept on the Knicks for at least his rookie season due to the fact that they paid for the right to pick him. However, with all of that said, it is still absolutely silly to even think about comparing him to Love, even if saying he might be a 'poor man's' version of Love.

Love, in his lone season at UCLA, was a 1st-team All-American who led the entire NCAA in rebounds while scoring 17.5 PPG. He was the leading scorer of a team that went to the Final Four and was a top 5 pick. He just had a season where he averaged 20-15 and also showed an ability to shoot the 3 ball as he shot .417 beyond the arc. At best, Harrellson can hope to play some backup minutes where they can utilize his 6 fouls and perhaps he can grab a few rebounds. Love is a player you build a team around. Harrellson is a player you bring in so that you can have 3 centers on your team.

I would've compared him to brad miller or nick collison

I really don't see how he compares favorably with either of those two guys other than he is tall and white. I think the more apt comparison is with players like Dan Gadzuric or Jarron Collins. Both guys showed limited offensive prowess in college for high-major programs yet were able to still make the NBA and play for a number of years, even start quite a few games. The best thing they can offer teams is their size, like Josh. I see their careers as being the high-end of what Harrellson can hope for. I just can't see him being a scorer like Miller nor a physical, one-on-one defender like Collison.

I really don't see how he compares favorably with either of those two guys other than he is tall and white. I think the more apt comparison is with players like Dan Gadzuric or Jarron Collins. Both guys showed limited offensive prowess in college for high-major programs yet were able to still make the NBA and play for a number of years, even start quite a few games. The best thing they can offer teams is their size, like Josh. I see their careers as being the high-end of what Harrellson can hope for. I just can't see him being a scorer like Miller nor a physical, one-on-one defender like Collison.

He can much better than Gadzuric ever could. Jarron Collins early in his career is a fair comparison. He was the better player in college and even started as a rookie with the Jazz at center. He was significantly shorter than his brother who stayed in league much longer. I can see him being the one on one defender like Collison. He's a pretty good low post defender. I wanna say it was Sullinger he gave fits in the tourney, cant remember tho, but I remember him being pretty hard to move down low.

He can much better than Gadzuric ever could. Jarron Collins early in his career is a fair comparison. He was the better player in college and even started as a rookie with the Jazz at center. He was significantly shorter than his brother who stayed in league much longer. I can see him being the one on one defender like Collison. He's a pretty good low post defender. I wanna say it was Sullinger he gave fits in the tourney, cant remember tho, but I remember him being pretty hard to move down low.

How?

He wasn't a great one on one defender on the college level against lesser competition. Being hard to move down low is not the same as being a good on man defender.

Listen, the guy is never going to be more than a fringe NBA player and there is nothing wrong with that. It is amazing how far his has come since his junior year in high school. He will make a lot more money in basketball than anyone who post on this board.

How?

He wasn't a great one on one defender on the college level against lesser competition. Being hard to move down low is not the same as being a good on man defender.

Listen, the guy is never going to be more than a fringe NBA player and there is nothing wrong with that. It is amazing how far his has come since his junior year in high school. He will make a lot more money in basketball than anyone who post on this board.

Yeah, but we'll all sleep better at night knowing that our wardrobe isn't entirely made up of old jeans and a pair of pinking shears.

Oh, how Madison Avenue will embrace their newest import...

Gadzuric has played 9 seasons in the NBA and started 163 games in his career. He started 81 games for the Bucks in '04-05 and averaged 8.3 rebounds that season. He has earned around $38 million in his career. Harrellson would be ecstaatic to be able to accomplish in his career what Gadzuric has so far. IMO, that is the absolute best that Josh can hope for in his pro career, and I highly doubt he will accomplish that.

I also have to agree with brianstl. Not sure what makes you think Harrellson can be the defender that Collison is. In the playoffs this past season, Scott Brooks used Collison to defend both Z-Bo and Dirk one-on-one. I don't see any scenario where Harrellson could ever be called upon to do that. Nothing he has done so far makes me think he will ever be able to do what Collison can do as a defender at the NBA level.

Obviously, you are a huge champion for Harrellson and perhaps that is clouding your judgment on his ability somewhat. In his case, I think just getting selected in the draft represents a huge success story. Anything he does after that is gravy. If he can get into a handful of games next season and grab some boards and show some energy, perhaps he can convince some team(s) to let him stick around for a while.

I am happy for Josh that he was able to parlay a nice NCAA tourney into a 2nd round draft pick. It also looks like he will be kept on the Knicks for at least his rookie season due to the fact that they paid for the right to pick him. However, with all of that said, it is still absolutely silly to even think about comparing him to Love, even if saying he might be a 'poor man's' version of Love.

Love, in his lone season at UCLA, was a 1st-team All-American who led the entire NCAA in rebounds while scoring 17.5 PPG. He was the leading scorer of a team that went to the Final Four and was a top 5 pick. He just had a season where he averaged 20-15 and also showed an ability to shoot the 3 ball as he shot .417 beyond the arc. At best, Harrellson can hope to play some backup minutes where they can utilize his 6 fouls and perhaps he can grab a few rebounds. Love is a player you build a team around. Harrellson is a player you bring in so that you can have 3 centers on your team.

--------------

I am also very happy for Josh. I also get to claim a bit of vindication because when I saw him as a junior at St. Charles HS I kept saying that SLU needs to grab this guy. I thought he could be a nice step up from Hinrichs and Frerichs. Brad was slow to offer and then things got muddles with Western Illinois and SWIC, but even at the Meramec JUCO shoot out when he was a Freshman, he showed he could certainly help SLU. Sorry to see him go to UK, but it was obviously the best thing for him because he had to work extremely hard just to get some playing time.

I agree that he isn't Kevin Love, but he sure is an inspiration.

The Knicks paid a price to move up and waste a pick on a guy who isn't NBA material. As an organization, the Knicks are a joke.

I disagree I think this is a good second pick for a team that is starved of bigs. Everyone wants that sexy pick of a well known college player cause they know who he is but you are not going to find a star in the second round, you are looking for role players. If he can rebound and defend and then knock a mid range jumper and pass a little but he can have a long career coming off the bench and being a nice role player. You know he is going to work hard and do some things well so I see him having a decent amount of years in the league.

At the same time being compared to Kevin Love is just silly but after he was drafted 'jorts' was trending on twitter

I avoided this thread for as long as I could. I have nothing against Harrellson, in fact I don't give 2 shits about him. But why must you keep littering the board with this worthless crap? The initial post was kind of pointless, but whatever, slightly interesting, I guess. But what's the point of those last 2 videos? Pointless, absolutely pointless.

Tell the Harrellson family I said congrats, because you're obviously associated with them in some form. You may even be that homeless-looking dude they showed on TV during the tourney that they claimed was his dad.

I avoided this thread for as long as I could. I have nothing against Harrellson, in fact I don't give 2 shits about him. But why must you keep littering the board with this worthless crap? The initial post was kind of pointless, but whatever, slightly interesting, I guess. But what's the point of those last 2 videos? Pointless, absolutely pointless.

Tell the Harrellson family I said congrats, because you're obviously associated with them in some form. You may even be that homeless-looking dude they showed on TV during the tourney that they claimed was his dad.

Its a tribute to a guy that wanted to be here. I dont really care how you feel about it pal. Its marked OT.

--------------

I am also very happy for Josh. I also get to claim a bit of vindication because when I saw him as a junior at St. Charles HS I kept saying that SLU needs to grab this guy. I thought he could be a nice step up from Hinrichs and Frerichs. Brad was slow to offer and then things got muddles with Western Illinois and SWIC, but even at the Meramec JUCO shoot out when he was a Freshman, he showed he could certainly help SLU. Sorry to see him go to UK, but it was obviously the best thing for him because he had to work extremely hard just to get some playing time.

I agree that he isn't Kevin Love, but he sure is an inspiration.

Good post.

Sodie did a "Bill Buckner", let Harrellson get away. He was viable for SLU coming out of high school; with 4 yrs here he could have done great things for us.

Everything jelled for him this yr, he played very well, with good numbers, against great competition in pressure situations.

I say, he will make it, and be in the NBA for 5-6 yrs, with some yrs where he gets some good playing time.

Some here seem resentful after the post JUCO debacle, but Sodie could have brought him in as a freshman: blew it.

I say, good for Josh and wish him well.