Thanks for the Memories, Willie

If people think no one was helping Willie they are delusional. He got more help than most people.

BTW, Chafeitz had a 4.0, but had no way to pay for his tuition. The school paid the rest of his way. If I recall correctly, Willie was already on a full-ride.

We need a program like this: Rock Chalk Old People

Maybe so, but the University makes it a point to not release that information to the general public. You can say "oh Willie had tutors, etc." But who was his MENTOR? Who was there helping him out? Why do such talented and gifted athletes fall through the crack? Father Dinosaur, S.J. sitting at the end of the bench can't even feed himself. We need young priests to help these kids out. Hell, we're a Jesuit university. We have sporting fanatic priests a swallow's flight away at Jesuit Hall. Can't they help our student-athletes?

willie had all the tutuors and mentors and study help he wanted for two years. he blew that when he had all his other issues. part of his conditions of return was make it on his own and prove his issues were all behind him and he could indeed be a good student/citizen. he couldnt. the short of it is had he been a good citizen and student in the first place, he never would have had it all taken away. he had plenty of chances. a lot more than any regular student would have ever gotten.

i would be willing to bet dr chaifetz's transcripts after three years at slu look a lot better than willie's at this point making that "flyer" a little easier to take.

I'd be willing to bet the good Dr. had more credit hours after two semesters than WR did his entire time at SLU.

what metz is advocating is the old, let's just pass any athlete through the system so they can play their sport. officially, programs are not allowed to do that anymore, the athletes have to be on pace to graduate with their classes. oh i am sure there are plenty of programs that still make it happen and even for the student athlete that gets in trouble like a willie. slu is never going to be one of those schools. especially the kid that is on the second chance plan like willie was.

i wonder (just me thinking, no background for this) if willie and parents didnt take slu at face of what was proposed? honestly, the chances of this ever working out for willie were slim and none. one wonders why he didnt head off to naia land (where rules are made to be remade) somewhere to play.

Same old, same old.

SLU just cannot compete with the schools that are able to keep a kid like Willie eligible.

That has always been our problem.

You cannot tell me that all of the starters in The Final Four would be able to both get into SLU and also make the grades. Key C's and PF's especially.

We do not have a PE major, or "Exercise Science", or football jock type majors, like most of the D-1's, even some very good schools.

The "student athlete" myth vanished many, many years ago. Ideal world, everyone goes to real classes.

With Willie, there was a great chance we were NCAA bound next year, maybe win a tourney game or two; we could have been top 40, maybe top 25.

Without him, we will struggle to get an NIT bid.

If people think no one was helping Willie they are delusional. He got more help than most people.

You can give people all the help in the world but if they dont want to try its not going to matter.

SLU gave him tutors, had teammates wake him up and take him to class, had coaches check in with his teachers, set up weekly meetings with his teachers for him but he choose not to take advantage of that.

You can give a guy all the resources in the world and push him nonstop but if that kid wont open a book and wont pay attention in class it wont matter.

That's nothing against WR some people just cant concentrate in class and just cant bring themselves to open a book. For most people this means struggling to get by for the next 50 years, luckily for Willie he has other options.

Interesting how Fr. Reinert took a flyer on a young whippersnapper from Chicago named Dick Chaifetz and we're saying no one can help Willie? Great to carry on the legacy...

This is complete bull****! Saint Louis University gave Willie plenty of opportunity. WILLIE REED chose not to take advantage of that opportunity. Trying to compare Willie to Dr. Chaifetz is absurd. And, as we have come to find out, this has nothing to do with the "incident"; this has to do with a young man who has made some poor choices. I hope for the best for Willie, I enjoyed his time on the team, but I agree with the other post above - it is time to move on.

What type of trouble did Willie get into. I'm not talking about the BS with the chick, he did nothing wrong. So if that is eliminated, what kind of trouble did he get into?

Enough to deserve to get kicked off the team multiple times. You could probably argue he deserved to get expelled on a few occasions.

Enough to deserve to get kicked off the team multiple times. You could probably argue he deserved to get expelled on a few occasions.

Can you produce his judicial board file for me?