OT- Cards sign Berkman

slufanskip

Minutia.

I am not writing his godd*m autobiography. He is 34. Baseball people are aware. You will see, in time.

So, you are stating you don't know all the facts about him but it is quite OK to just point out that he is lying about his age? As he is looking for a large contract and is the best player in the league, don't you think this story would have broken by now?

Once again, he is a US citizen now. He had to show sufficent proof of his birth to become a citizen. The main reason many Hispanic players got outed for being older was because the Department of Homeland Security did more stringent background checks on non-citizens working in the US and the older players had to own up to it. Nothing came of Pujols in this and he went so far as to obtain his citizenship.

However, feel free to keep peddling your fairytales here. Your steadfast belief in this is on par with your belief that SLU should be in the MVC.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you are stating you don't know all the facts about him but it is quite OK to just point out that he is lying about his age? As he is looking for a large contract and is the best player in the league, don't you think this story would have broken by now?

Once again, he is a US citizen now. He had to show sufficent proof of his birth to become a citizen. The main reason many Hispanic players got outed for being older was because the Department of Homeland Security did more stringent background checks on non-citizens working in the US and the older players had to own up to it. Nothing came of Pujols in this and he went so far as to obtain his citizenship.

However, feel free to keep peddling your fairytales here. Your steadfast belief in this is on par with your belief that SLU should be in the MVC.

Rick Majerus says we should be in the MVC; do you speak of him with the disrespect you show me? It is not that big of a deal, a lot knowledgeable adults think we should have elected to get into the MVC, not just RM and me. Grow up, drop it for Christsake.

As it relates to Albert, I never said I know ALL the facts about Pujols, just that he is 3+ yrs older and baseball people know it... through a credible contact of mine. AP got established before MLB started to understand that many of these kids were misrepresenting their age. MLB now is impeccable in their research of south of the border players.

I do not care what you think, you will some day find out. Might be soon, might be a long time... it depends upon how the Cardinal contract issue pans out... he has one more yr here... it could blow up, or not.

I hope Cards and AP are reasonable and work it out.

Some who say they do not care how old he really is are not too sharp... baseball skills erode dramatically for most around age 33-34-35-36, depends upon the individual. A chosen few can make it longer. Who knows? But paying him $ 30 million a year 'til he is over 38, or 'til he is 42-44 just to make the fans happy NOW is not good business. Cards will not do it. They are too smart. That is why we are still all wondering why there is a delay.

This is the end for MB73 on this topic, just trying to inform some fellow Billikens.

The Cardinals know.

This issue is, how do they handle it? It's a public relations nightmare. Very complex on both sides if you take the time to think about it, though that would be asking a lot of you.

An inside baseball person informed me of this issue. Again, Pujols came to USA, went to high school, said he was 18, really was over 21. We may not find this out officially for a long time, but we will someday.

I know the Bergman deal is one yr, it is insurance in case we move Pujols this yr. And no, KF, there is no link, give me a break.I HOPE that both sides are reasonable, and we sign him to a 4 yr deal, maybe 5, for huge bucks. But I doubt it. 100% chance we re-sign him? There is a good chance, but not 100%.

(MB73/Kevin Slaten bullcrap?) Who TF are you?

"bergman" is not insurance in case we move Pujols this year. Pujols will most likely not be moved this year unless the team is 10+ games out at the deadline and there is no chance to resign him. Albert is a 5 & 10 player who would have to approve any deal.

As I posted earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if Albert is older than he claims. However, if you can't prove it, you're pretty much talking out of your a$$. Albert is a pretty big story these days. Don't you think that there are people in the DR who know how old he is? If it's that obvious, why has no one spoken up yet?

Rick Majerus says we should be in the MVC; do you speak of him with the disrespect you show me? It is not that big of a deal, a lot knowledgeable adults think we should have elected to get into the MVC, not just RM and me. Grow up, drop it for Christsake.

As it relates to Albert, I never said I know ALL the facts about Pujols, just that he is 3+ yrs older and baseball people know it... through a credible contact of mine. AP got established before MLB started to understand that many of these kids were misrepresenting their age. MLB now is impeccable in their research of south of the border players.

I do not care what you think, you will some day find out. Might be soon, might be a long time... it depends upon how the Cardinal contract issue pans out... he has one more yr here... it could blow up, or not.

Some who say they do not care how old he really is are not too sharp... baseball skills erode dramatically for most around age 33-34-35-36, depends upon the individual. A chosen few can make it longer. Who knows? But paying him $ 30 million a year 'til he is over 38, or 'til he is 42-44 just to make the fans happy NOW is not good business. Cards will not do it. They are too smart. That is why we are still all wondering why there is a delay.

This is the end for MB73 on this topic, just trying to inform some fellow Billikens.

If only this were true.

Albert got started before MLB knew that players lied about their age?!?!?!?!?!?!? While things have been tougher since 9/11, MLB set up an office in the DR in 2000 to help deal with this problem. It's been going on for decades.

Remember David Green?

Albert got started before MLB knew that players lied about their age?!?!?!?!?!?!? While things have been tougher since 9/11, MLB set up an office in the DR in 2000 to help deal with this problem. It's been going on for decades.

Remember David Green?

KF, I think I get the logic here now. See, Pujols, the Cards, MLB and the US Government are all in on this age conspiracy. They all know how old he is and are trying to keep it under wraps. But, Pujols is being a D-bag and wants a 7+ year contract even though everyone knows he is really 34 or 35 (he isn't quite sure of his age, he might be 37.) Now, he has put everyone in a bind because he won't play ball like they all agreed back when he was drafted. The Cards figured he would agree to a 4 year deal since he is ancient and all. But, he is a greedy MFer and knows they can't reveal his real age due to the conspiracy and all. But, MB73 and his credible source are here to reveal all and toss a little knowledge our way so we aren't shocked when the Cards don't resign him.

I know its tough to get your mind wrapped around this, but if you just slam down some cheap gin and listen to the Best of Kevin Slaten, it becomes easier.

KF, I think I get the logic here now. See, Pujols, the Cards, MLB and the US Government are all in on this age conspiracy. They all know how old he is and are trying to keep it under wraps. But, Pujols is being a D-bag and wants a 7+ year contract even though everyone knows he is really 34 or 35 (he isn't quite sure of his age, he might be 37.) Now, he has put everyone in a bind because he won't play ball like they all agreed back when he was drafted. The Cards figured he would agree to a 4 year deal since he is ancient and all. But, he is a greedy MFer and knows they can't reveal his real age due to the conspiracy and all. But, MB73 and his credible source are here to reveal all and toss a little knowledge our way so we aren't shocked when the Cards don't resign him.

I know its tough to get your mind wrapped around this, but if you just slam down some cheap gin and listen to the Best of Kevin Slaten, it becomes easier.

If Pujols is really older than he claims and everyone knows it, the advantage would be in the Cardinal's hands. You go with a 4 or 5 offer and tell Albert that you spill the beans about his age if he declines. If Albert is really 34, 35, 56, 73, etc., even the Yankees wouldn't go 8 or 10 years on the deal.

If Pujols is really older than he claims and everyone knows it, the advantage would be in the Cardinal's hands. You go with a 4 or 5 offer and tell Albert that you spill the beans about his age if he declines. If Albert is really 34, 35, 56, 73, etc., even the Yankees wouldn't go 8 or 10 years on the deal.

Exactly.

The question is, how will it play out? Who will blink first? I do not know if there is a "smoking gun" document. But they all know.

Albert is right here beside me and he said his actual age is 23, and that he came into the league when he was 14.

Actually Albert has a joint meeting coming up with the IRS and Social Security Office to see how this affects his bebefits-afterwards-he intends to break the story, himself; once he figures out how old he must be

Pujols should be able to play at a high level far into his 30s since he is juiced up.

Exactly.

The question is, how will it play out? Who will blink first? I do not know if there is a "smoking gun" document. But they all know.

Remember that trade involving Soriano where the acquiring team had investigators find out that Soriano was 2 yrs older and the other player in that trade was a few yrs older as well.

Hopefully the cardinals are diligent in their age research whether that ever becomes public or not.

just curious how one figures out that birth certificates are or are not authentic?

for the record, while i agree we cant prove it, i also suspect albert is also older than he publically claims.

8 years $180 million for Teixeira

5 years $125 million for Howard

8 years $161 million for Gonzalez

Those are some of the recent bench marks for first base.

Pujols will get re-signed by the Cardinals. Very surprised this is even a discussion here.

Bill James projects Berkman to be in the .275 avg, .393 obp, 22 hr range next season.

Pujols will get re-signed by the Cardinals. Very surprised this is even a discussion here.

Bill James projects Berkman to be in the .275 avg, .393 obp, 22 home run range next season.

Bill James projects Berkman to be in the .275 avg, .393 obp, 22 hour range next season.

Who did the following players not get Lalong with? We would have had better teams if they got multi year deals

LUDWIG, GRUDZIELANEk, RENTERIA, POLANCO

Who did the following players not get Lalong with? We would have had better teams if they got multi year deals

LUDWIG, GRUDZIELANEk, RENTERIA, POLANCO

Nah, we wouldn't. Ludwig is the only one you could really make an argument for and he's had injury problems and is already seeming to decline. Renteria was one of my favorite Cardinals, but he hasn't done much of anything since leaving, outside of his stellar performance in the WS this year.

if i was the cardinal GM or manager i would rather have any of the other three as the cardinal second basemen or shortstop over the last few years.

if i was the cardinal GM or manager i would rather have any of the other three as the cardinal second basemen or shortstop over the last few years.

You can't play the GM game looking back, though. Our 2nd baseman just hasn't performed over the years, but the front office was correct in their assessment of how they felt those 3 would do in the future. I'd much rather have an underachieving 2B or SS who is paid a small salary, than a old, over paid one who is putting up similar numbers.

Polanco is probably the only one who has done relatively better than expected since leaving.

Would you have rather had Polanco or Rolen? ...Bud Smith, Mike, Timlin, Placido Polanco in the Rolen deal.

Renteria's agent was determined to have him go elsewhere after the Cardinals were busy locking up Pujols and Rolen long term during that time. The Cardinals dropped the ball as well. When Edgar played in warm weather National League, he was very good in his career, including two good ones in Atl after Stl...in the $8-10 million per range.

Since 9/11 the US has gotten a lot stricter on verifying birth certificates and other info. The way I understand it is that when someone from another country tries to become an actual American citizen, we check with the other country to verify everything they told us is correct. Seeing as how Albert has his Citizenship now, I would venture to guess that he is the reported age.

It is interesting though because Miguel Tajeda had his actual birth date on his birth certificate but lied to the MLB. Later of course, they figured it out. I just can't believe that Albert would be able to get away with this for so long.

Since 9/11 the US has gotten a lot stricter on verifying birth certificates and other info. The way I understand it is that when someone from another country tries to become an actual American citizen, we check with the other country to verify everything they told us is correct. Seeing as how Albert has his Citizenship now, I would venture to guess that he is the reported age.

It is interesting though because Miguel Tajeda had his actual birth date on his birth certificate but lied to the MLB. Later of course, they figured it out. I just can't believe that Albert would be able to get away with this for so long.

Exactly. This is the point I have made before. As Albert has obtained his citizenship from the US, it would just be reasonable that he had to provide (or the US obtained) proper certification of his age.