WH's Preview

SShoe

Remember, Majerus has never had a losing season. I feel certain he won't have a losing season with this roster, either. Just give him a month or so and we'll see.

WH, thank you for your insights, we appreciate it. I don't know anybody who is as educated about the A-10 as you. Keep up the good work.

The least talented Bills team in the last 10 years could handle this Austin Peay team.

Its the OVC for crying out loud.

If we lose tomorrow SEMO is in some serious trouble when they travel to the Peay.

Think back a few years to when we played SEMO at Savvis - we lost. I think we will win but I just don't have a good feel for this team yet.

that's sort of what I'm saying cheese -- well put -- I just do not have a feel for this team, at all. I think this team will need a few months to figure itself out--and that might mean some very messy and discouraging games.

I also notice. despite all the digs, that nobody has taken the bet. I'm willing to drop the spread down to 5 1/2. no takers?? dinner or lunch at Pappy's??

probably I'm wrong, and we win -- I sure hope. I will admit it if we win, that I was wrong. big deal.

btw shoe, I'm probably an idiot either way, win or lose; at least in the eyes of many on this board. And just so you and everyone knows: I was mostly steamed at the guys who showered me with urine in saying DE just might be good, even sort of similar to Tommie. I was not dissing Tommie, but I was dissing his acolytes. And I think almost all the knowledgeable guys on here -- and there are MANY -- would easily have agreed with me about DE had they just seen some of those summer scrimmages. I was being sarcastic in saying how hard it is to spot talent -- actually, everyone on here should read BLINK! it explains this phenomenon much better than me -- when you spend thousands of hours doing something, it is just not that difficult to judge talent in that area. It's why, for instance, Rams fans can tell the receivers need upgrading, I do not need an "analyst" to discern that one.

Major Majerus, thanks for being the lone voice in defending the fact that it was the loud and obstreperous ones hammering me that really irked me. I was attacking them, not so much trying to defend my basketball "genius," which I know will come as a shock to many.

Think back a few years to when we played SEMO at Savvis - we lost. I think we will win but I just don't have a good feel for this team yet.

You know we lost to these guys during the 04-05 season. 45-52 in OT on a neutral court.

I still think we will blow out APU by 12 :D

In the past 5 years we have lost to only one "buy game" opponent at home; Sam Houston St., and they were very good that year.

We are not going to lose to these guys.

Yes, it's hard to live down the infamy but there is no way this Billikens team is as bad as the one Uncle Brad trotted out in 2004. Just to relive the pain, I looked up the article on that one.

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122904aab.html

Dwayne Polk led the Billikens in scoring that night. Without Reggie Bryant, that team was toast. Even without Willie and Kwamain, this team still has talent. When did an Uncle Brad team ever have a PF the caliber of Cody and Rob? I guess the point is that this team isn't pinning its hopes on just one or two players to step up and fill the void. McCall, Jett, Cassity, Salecich can all score at guard. On any given night, we need two of them to be on. At forward, we have Cody, Rob, and Conk who can score. And I still think Evans is going to be that Luke Meyer glue guy who defends, grabs boards, and find his points somehow, someway.

Agree with everyone who says this team is vulnerable because there could very well be games where all the freshman suck in unison and we look like a very bad team. But I think cockstrong is the difference maker. I trust he can right the ship if it takes on water. The first few games are especially ripe for trouble and especially at the PG position. We have a lot riding on Mike McCall's shoulders tonight.

that's sort of what I'm saying cheese -- well put -- I just do not have a feel for this team, at all. I think this team will need a few months to figure itself out--and that might mean some very messy and discouraging games.

I also notice. despite all the digs, that nobody has taken the bet. I'm willing to drop the spread down to 5 1/2. no takers?? dinner or lunch at Pappy's??

probably I'm wrong, and we win -- I sure hope. I will admit it if we win, that I was wrong. big deal.

btw shoe, I'm probably an idiot either way, win or lose; at least in the eyes of many on this board. And just so you and everyone knows: I was mostly steamed at the guys who showered me with urine in saying DE just might be good, even sort of similar to Tommie. I was not dissing Tommie, but I was dissing his acolytes. And I think almost all the knowledgeable guys on here -- and there are MANY -- would easily have agreed with me about DE had they just seen some of those summer scrimmages. I was being sarcastic in saying how hard it is to spot talent -- actually, everyone on here should read BLINK! it explains this phenomenon much better than me -- when you spend thousands of hours doing something, it is just not that difficult to judge talent in that area. It's why, for instance, Rams fans can tell the receivers need upgrading, I do not need an "analyst" to discern that one.

Major Majerus, thanks for being the lone voice in defending the fact that it was the loud and obstreperous ones hammering me that really irked me. I was attacking them, not so much trying to defend my basketball "genius," which I know will come as a shock to many.

If you make it a beer before the next game, I'll take the bet and give you 5 1/2.

:D

Yes, it's hard to live down the infamy but there is no way this Billikens team is as bad as the one Uncle Brad trotted out in 2004. Just to relive the pain, I looked up the article on that one.

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122904aab.html

Dwayne Polk led the Billikens in scoring that night. Without Reggie Bryant, that team was toast. Even without Willie and Kwamain, this team still has talent. When did an Uncle Brad team ever have a PF the caliber of Cody and Rob? I guess the point is that this team isn't pinning its hopes on just one or two players to step up and fill the void. McCall, Jett, Cassity, Salecich can all score at guard. On any given night, we need two of them to be on. At forward, we have Cody, Rob, and Conk who can score. And I still think Evans is going to be that Luke Meyer glue guy who defends, grabs boards, and find his points somehow, someway.

Agree with everyone who says this team is vulnerable because there could very well be games where all the freshman suck in unison and we look like a very bad team. But I think cockstrong is the difference maker. I trust he can right the ship if it takes on water. The first few games are especially ripe for trouble and especially at the PG position. We have a lot riding on Mike McCall's shoulders tonight.

I'm in the camp of thinking this is not a gimme at all. We could very well lose this game. I'd like to think not, and I believe that we have more talent. Problem is that we haven't all played together, it's the first game for many freshman that will be required to play a SIGNIFICANT role, and we've lost our two best players. Sure, we'll probably win...and should win...but if we lose, I won't be totally shocked and throw in the towel. We're going to have some growing pains.

DrKelsey: you owe me a beer. I will not be there tonight so maybe at the Georgia game? don't worry I'll remember...

I guess I was not talking out my ass. too bad.

problem is: we just aren't that good this year. I was appalled at the turnovers against Stritch and knew that night we were in big trouble. I cannot figure out how we can win close games, or who to give the ball to at the end; at least for a while.

I'm sticking by my other prediction, based on Austin Peay; we may very well have a losing record going into A10 -- or at best, .500.

(I'm not counting Rockhurst, which I assume we can pull out).

cheers, brethren.

DrKelsey: you owe me a beer. I will not be there tonight so maybe at the Georgia game? don't worry I'll remember...

problem is: we just aren't that good this year. I was appalled at the turnovers against Stritch and knew that night we were in big trouble. I cannot figure out how we can win close games, or who to give the ball to at the end; at least for a while.

I'm sticking by my other prediction, based on Austin Peay; we may very well have a losing record going into A10 -- or at best, .500.

cheers, brethren.

Send me a PM before the Georgia game as to where to meet you to complete our transaction. Thought I was looking good when they took that 8 point lead. Could not believe how careless they got with the ball when they came back out on the floor.

B)

cheers, brethren.

I'm late on this, but .... you said the Bills would lose, not they wouldn't win by 7 or 8 or 5 1/2. It turns out you were right (Kudos) but it doesn't change the fact you said they'd lose straight up but insisted on getting points for your bet. Doesn't seem you were that sure they'd lose outright.

Quite a thread. Think some people owe the good Doc some apologies.

I didn't knock his prediction, in fact I think he has a clue and knows basketball. What I was questioning was saying they'd lose outright, but then asking for points. Why would you need the points if you were so sure they were going to lose outright?

And ... the poor little me, I'm always getting picked on routine gets old.