Chicagoland Invitational

Hawk

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=5757553

Basically there's talk about having a chicago invitational with chicago teams. The comments that are interesting are from the Northwestern coach:

Northwestern coach Bill Carmody did have his reservations about an all-Chicago invitational. He was skeptical that there would be enough fan interest in such an event and if there was a format with the five teams that would make sense.

"I don't know how you do it," Carmody said. "I don't know if it means as much as it did years ago. Now there's so many conference rivalries. Years ago the rivalries were between area teams. I don't know if it can be revived how people think it can be. It sounds good, but I don't know if it can get done in a meaningful way.

"What I would rather see is to take us and DePaul and make it a Chicago against another city or state. Illinois versus Missouri and bring St. Louis and Missouri in."

if carmody said that, may and rickma should get on a plane immediately fly to chicago with pen in hand and close the deal asap.

A Chicago v. St. Louis or Illinois v. Missouri would be great and completely agree with Roy.

Surprised we don't see more of these type of tourneys, but I suppose a lot of city/states with existing rivalries are in the same conference.

Philly-New York tourney with A-10 v. Big East teams would be cool.

Kentucky-Tennessee tourney with CUSA v. SEC.

Ohio - PA tourney with B10, Big East, and/or A-10 teams.

South Dakota v. North Dakota...obviously.

Bill Carmody is a smart man who coaches at a smart school and says smart things. But we can't count on the small minds at the big state schools to keep up with him.

That said, I'd love to play Chicago teams every year. Keep that pipeline open.

A Chicago v. St. Louis or Illinois v. Missouri would be great and completely agree with Roy.

Surprised we don't see more of these type of tourneys, but I suppose a lot of city/states with existing rivalries are in the same conference.

Philly-New York tourney with A-10 v. Big East teams would be cool.

Kentucky-Tennessee tourney with CUSA v. SEC.

Ohio - PA tourney with B10, Big East, and/or A-10 teams.

South Dakota v. North Dakota...obviously.

Or SC vs NC (Clemson, USC, Wofford, Cof C, Furman) v (take your pick from NC, Duke, WF, NCS, Charlotte, Davidson, UNC Wilmington)