Looks like Duke!

Check your facts. We played at UNC the year before they came to St. Louis. It was a home and home matchup.

I'm less excited because we could play a number of one-off road games against good teams each year if we wanted. I'm hopeful RM doesn't make a habit of this. I want to see quality games on the home schedule as well.

+1 - my point exactly.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked over at one of the Duke boards, and aside from the guy who actually posted the topic, we are getting some serious credit. You can read it if you like (you have to create an account if you don't already have one), but basically the gist is: "(Duke) should win by 10+, but SLU is a scrappy, well coached team that will hang in there much of the game and give us a good run."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=6123766

Let's go Bills!

-Rob

Oh boy another good loss.

Gee, I am sure that is what the Delta State coach is saying right now too his fans and team also. RM said he would play any team but he was not probably expecting to be fodder only for the other team. Look, nobody would be happier if we went down there and won but the odds are against us beating the #1 team in the nation at their place. Come dance time, nobody on the selection committee is going to remember that we lost to Duke away by 15 only that we lost to Duke. I think we will have a good team next year and I am excited about the season but I would rather have a road win over a decent D1 team then a meaningless loss to Duke. Some of you can be Polyanna but sound thinking people know that this is not a great deal for us. Yes we are on national TV, yes our SOS will get a bump, but our RPI will not benefit and we will not gain any lasting benefit from it. I will watch and root for the Bills as hard as anyone and scream at my TV and the refs who will robbing us but I am sorry, a betting man does not see how this is that big of help for us. Our home schedule is unchanged which many have complained is too weak and our won lost record will reflect a loss.

Gee Cheese it's good to know that your the only sound thinking person on this board. The buzz this game will create in St. Louis is worth playing the game alone.I think you are totally wrong.

Is there any chances of getting tickets through SLU?

My guess is SLU will be given some tix as is the normal practice. The problem is my time the big donors get their crack and SLU gives a bunch away to others they deem important the avg. fan may not have a chance.

Gee, I am sure that is what the Delta State coach is saying right now too his fans and team also. RM said he would play any team but he was not probably expecting to be fodder only for the other team. Look, nobody would be happier if we went down there and won but the odds are against us beating the #1 team in the nation at their place. Come dance time, nobody on the selection committee is going to remember that we lost to Duke away by 15 only that we lost to Duke. I think we will have a good team next year and I am excited about the season but I would rather have a road win over a decent D1 team then a meaningless loss to Duke. Some of you can be Polyanna but sound thinking people know that this is not a great deal for us. Yes we are on national TV, yes our SOS will get a bump, but our RPI will not benefit and we will not gain any lasting benefit from it. I will watch and root for the Bills as hard as anyone and scream at my TV and the refs who will robbing us but I am sorry, a betting man does not see how this is that big of help for us. Our home schedule is unchanged which many have complained is too weak and our won lost record will reflect a loss.

Beggars can't be choosers. If you get a game with Duke, then you take it.

You're off the mark on this one.

Agreed. What's going to help you more in the long run? A win against a lower tier BCS team (or even a midmajor like SIU) or a loss against the #1 team in the nation? If you want to compete with the best, you have to play with the best. End game should be for experience that will help us in March.

Gee Cheese it's good to know that your the only sound thinking person on this board. The buzz this game will create in St. Louis is worth playing the game alone.I think you are totally wrong.

What I said was that any sound thinking person not that I was the only sound thinking person. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. This game will create a buzz for one night and then it will be over unless we beat them and smart money won't be on us.

Agreed. What's going to help you more in the long run? A win against a lower tier BCS team (or even a midmajor like SIU) or a loss against the #1 team in the nation? If you want to compete with the best, you have to play with the best. End game should be for experience that will help us in March.

A loss never helps you. I am not against playing them just that for it to be an advantage for us we needed the second game here. At least by getting a home and home you get the buzz twice and the home fans get to see Duke in person. I still think we get little from this unless we beat them.

What I said was that any sound thinking person not that I was the only sound thinking person. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. This game will create a buzz for one night and then it will be over unless we beat them and smart money won't be on us.

So let me get this straight. Are you saying that the majority of this thread that feels this is a good game is not sound thinking? Cheese you are out numbered on this one,but then again we must not be sound thinking.

Disagree. For various reasons we've had home dates against Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA over the past 27 years. It has happened. As I've already posted, I think the game has some potential to help with recruitng. It could also help toughen the team up a bit for later in the season.

However, I don't think it does much for the fans who are paying for tickets. Duke is among the top 5-6 programs in the country, but there are probably 2 dozen BCS type teams who would agree to play us on their home floor next year as a buy game.

I'm not sure I would put pur program in the "beggars" category. Comments like that on the board are typically coming from fans of other teams.

This game is a huge PLUS unless we play very poorly and get blown out (which I doubt).

If we look competitive, play solid ball, stay with them until the end, that will be a big upside for our program.

Considering Duke's power, status and non-conference home record, if we lose by single digits, that will be a very good day for SLU hoops.

If we keep it within, say, 5-6, a HUGE day.

It will be fascinating for all of us to see how we do against a team like Duke; matchups will be entertaining.

Also, this game will get the attention of future SLU recruits; different than the occasional big game in the past, now we have a deep, talented, RM led roster and are getting national attention. Top 50 club finally, maybe top 35 if we stay healthy and continue to improve.

I say, it's all good unless we really fold.

Maybe RM believes the Bills can compete and possibly pull off an upset. Maybe RM expects to be in the dance and knows his team will have to win games against possibly 1 or 2 seeds in venue's that are no different than home games for teams. It can't hurt to have some experience in that situation. Yes the odds are agianst it, but to be great you have to measure yourself against the best and that's what we're doing. Would it be better if we got a return game? of course it would, but that obviously wasn't a choice.

You can go play Miami of Ohio and get a 1 for 1, I'll go to Duke.

Also I believe the selection committee does notice whether you lost by 5 or 25 at Duke and it may make some difference in how we are seeded.

But what the heck, this can't be sound thinking anyway.

Disagree. For various reasons we've had home dates against Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA over the past 27 years. It has happened. As I've already posted, I think the game has some potential to help with recruitng. It could also help toughen the team up a bit for later in the season.

However, I don't think it does much for the fans who are paying for tickets. Duke is among the top 5-6 programs in the country, but there are probably 2 dozen BCS type teams who would agree to play us on their home floor next year as a buy game.

I'm not sure I would put pur program in the "beggars" category. Comments like that on the board are typically coming from fans of other teams.

Sorry, for better or worse, Duke is in a category with 3-4 other teams above everyone else in college basketball.

Taking RM at his word, we have been begging to schedule tier 1 teams. We are "beggars" in terms of scheduling.

A loss never helps you. I am not against playing them just that for it to be an advantage for us we needed the second game here. At least by getting a home and home you get the buzz twice and the home fans get to see Duke in person. I still think we get little from this unless we beat them.

Cheese, I'm usually on board with your thinking and do see your point about Duke not returning the favor to SLU. However, at this stage of RM's rebuild this is nothing to sneeze at and a time to get excited. So we likely lose? Hey, they're in the top 5 and defending national champs, who's gonna be shocked? But this is too good for the team, the program, and, hopefully, a well played competitive game gains us some much needed national respect. Just think how excited the team must be after hearing this. I just hope they don't overlook the miserable opponent we might have before going to Durham and blow it. We're getting a shot at Duke. Who doesn't want to play the best? It's like getting a shot at playing Augusta national. You're probably gonna shoot a gazillion but you're not gonna say I'd rather play the muni at Forest Park. And most important, the chance for a monumental upset is staring us right in the face. We need this game for a lot of reasons.

Sorry, for better or worse, Duke is in a category with 3-4 other teams above everyone else in college basketball.

Taking RM at his word, we have been begging to schedule tier 1 teams. We are "beggars" in terms of scheduling.

So Duke is in a category that is bettter than UNC, Kansas, and UCLA (not to mention...Duke)?

Sorry, I just don't think this one is that big of a deal to get. We could have probably gotten this game many times over the years.

I understand that RM is having trouble getting teams to play us. Short of winning the game do you think this will help us land better opponents at Chaifetz? Losing the game by 1 would probably make it harder than losing by 35! ;)

So Duke is in a category that is bettter than UNC, Kansas, and UCLA (not to mention...Duke)?

Sorry, I just don't think this one is that big of a deal to get. We could have probably gotten this game many times over the years.

I understand that RM is having trouble getting teams to play us. Short of winning the game do you think this will help us land better opponents at Chaifetz? Losing the game by 1 would probably make it harder than losing by 35! ;)

Footsie you are also forgetting the came is on CBS. When is the last time you were on CBS?

Might want to re-read the post. I said they were in a category with 3-4 other teams (most likely, UNC, Kansas and UCLA).

Yes, I do think this will help, especially if we win or play a close game. If either of those happen, it means we're a good, probably close to being ranked and SLU will not be viewed as a bad loss, but a good competitive game.

Might want to re-read the post. I said they were in a category with 3-4 other teams (most likely, UNC, Kansas and UCLA).

Yes, I do think this will help, especially if we win or play a close game. If either of those happen, it means we're a good, probably close to being ranked and SLU will not be viewed as a bad loss, but a good competitive game.

I don't need to re-read the post. If Duke is in the same category as UNC, Kansas and UCLA why can't they come play a game here like those other schools have done? They've done it before.

I still think we get little from this unless we beat them.

Disagree. The committee and prognosticators of the world (d-bag Jay Bilas for one) have repeatedly said that teams need to pass the "eye test" to get bids into the tournament. Teams cannot simply beat up on mediocre teams and elevate their RPIs, but have to be able to show something against the "big boys." A blowout obviously wouldn't help, but a close competitive game helps void any argument about us not playing a tough schedule or not "passing the eye test."

There are also great examples of where a team loses, but improves their image/ranking - see Cornell vs. KU last year.

I don't need to re-read the post. If Duke is in the same category as UNC, Kansas and UCLA why can't they come play a game here like those other schools have done? They've done it before.

UNC = Tyler

Kansas = Ryan Robertson

UCLA = we were a hot program in the mid-90s when we played that series (not sure if there is a local connection also)

Footsie you are also forgetting the came is on CBS. When is the last time you were on CBS?

I'm on CBS quite regularly. ;) Our team probably hasn't been on CBS since the big dance days. You're right, the coverage will be great. I still would like Duke to come to St. Louis for a game. Like I posted, I hope we don't become a regular buy game even for the big names.

We could just hold our breath and wait for top tier BCS schools agree to play us home and home. I think our face will turn blue first. It doesn't matter what happened 10, 15, 25 years ago. Why would Coach K, or Bill Self, or any of the top coaches agree to a home and home with SLU?

UNC = Tyler

Kansas = Ryan Robertson

UCLA = we were a hot program in the mid-90s when we played that series (not sure if there is a local connection also)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there were other reasons like you mentioned. Roy Williams is a class act when it comes to that. We were a hot team in the 90s but UCLA caught us after a pretty bad year (we were 16-14, 4-10 the previous season).

Do you think we should be a buy game for teams like Indiana, Kansas, etc. every year?

I will give you this...we were in a much better conference in those days and that helps a lot.

We could just hold our breath and wait for top tier BCS schools agree to play us home and home. I think our face will turn blue first. It doesn't matter what happened 10, 15, 25 years ago. Why would Coach K, or Bill Self, or any of the top coaches agree to a home and home with SLU?

right skip, let's become Maryland Eastern Shore and play 25 road games. ;)

If this is more than a one off it's a definite change in approach for the program. Let's see what happens.