Remember Kevin Noreen

Just heard on the local sports radio show that Bobby Huggins just offered his last scholarship to 6'10" Kevin Noreen. The Billikens were after him at one point. He committed to Boston College but changed his commitment after a coaching change. Why in the heck is a four star recruit still out there in late June?

Just heard on the local sports radio show that Bobby Huggins just offered his last scholarship to 6'10" Kevin Noreen. The Billikens were after him at one point. He committed to Boston College but changed his commitment after a coaching change. Why in the heck is a four star recruit still out there in late June?

According to Rivals he's only a 3 star. But who knows as to why he hasn't been signed yet. He might be one of those kids who thinks he's a big time recruit, but coaches feel differently.

Kids unsigned at this late date are out there for a rerason. The fact that Hugs signed him makes me suspicious, to say the least. Hugs has a knoiwn tendency for taking "problem" children and going with the flow. See Wingfiled, Dontonio; Long, Art; and a whole bunch of others. I think the UC Athletic Deaprtment finally took down their web page "UC Basketball Stars in Prison" link. It had more listings on it than their "UC Basketball Stars in the NBA" link and was figuratively lapping the "UC Basketball Stars with Degrees" link.

Kids unsigned at this late date are out there for a rerason. The fact that Hugs signed him makes me suspicious, to say the least. Hugs has a knoiwn tendency for taking "problem" children and going with the flow. See Wingfiled, Dontonio; Long, Art; and a whole bunch of others. I think the UC Athletic Deaprtment finally took down their web page "UC Basketball Stars in Prison" link. It had more listings on it than their "UC Basketball Stars in the NBA" link and was figuratively lapping the "UC Basketball Stars with Degrees" link.

Taj, it's not too difficult to "lap" non existent cars.

I get 404 Not Found when I click on the UC Basketball Stars with Degrees link.

He has a 4.0.

He committed to another school and their coach was fired. SLU would take him in a second.

If anyone is interested, here is a 2-page Charleston, WV Gazette article on Noreen's signing by the Mountaineers.

http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/201006290048

Here's a couple of sentences out of the article that ought to peak your interest.

"Noreen is a 6-foot-10 forward from Minneapolis whose high school statistics are in another realm. As a senior at Minnesota Transitions School he averaged 38.6 points, 16.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists, 3.9 steals and 3.2 blocks as his team won the Minnesota Class 1A state championship."

"He also carried a 4.0 GPA and reportedly scored a perfect 36 on his ACT."

Class 1A in Minnesota is pretty small. Doing very little research found a 1A school that has 200 kids total for the entire high school. I take the scoring stats and such about a 6'10" player as not that meaningful.

Odds are there are not very many players taller than 6'5'', let alone 6'10''. I'd be interested to know what his AAU stats are like.

Didn't Tony Brown, Billiken circa 1978, thrown down a 36 ppg average in Florida's Class A way back when? On one hand, I respect the fact that he was headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference and bailed because BC fired Skinner. However, I am skeptical that the averages would hold up in better competition. And what that means for college, who knows. Tony Brown didn't do much scoring for the Bills way back when. Only time will tell.

Didn't Tony Brown, Billiken circa 1978, thrown down a 36 ppg average in Florida's Class A way back when? On one hand, I respect the fact that he was headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference and bailed because BC fired Skinner. However, I am skeptical that the averages would hold up in better competition. And what that means for college, who knows. Tony Brown didn't do much scoring for the Bills way back when. Only time will tell.

My son attended a small Catholic HS (37 in his graduating class of which 21 were girls) on the Mississippi coast. He played 4 years of 1A level basketball and must seen about 90% of his games. The problem with 1A ball is the talent levels varies immensely. Lots of lopsided games. They always scheduled a couple non-conference games in the beginning of the season with the local large 5A level public school teams and just get killed. Playing other 1A league games they do fine. Also, I witnessed in his freshman and sophomore years and with a lot of teams, they would have like one good player or player who was unusually tall. The coach would have the offense totally centered around that player. Subsequently, that particular player would have a enormous inflated average.

It was funny to me, coming and playing HS ball in a major northern metropolitan area then watching this was a major culture shock to me. One particular HS that was mostly African-American between Hattisburg and Jackson literally played in a old barn that made gyms you seen in the movie Hoosier look ancient. The hay loft they made into a kind of a balcony that the spectators sat. Another team in my son's division was Mt Olive HS. In its gym they had this huge banner "Home of Steve Air McNair", the Tennessee Titan QB. I always wondered if they still have that sign.

In its gym they had this huge banner "Home of Steve Air McNair", the Tennessee Titan QB. I always wondered if they still have that sign.

Would be a fitting tribute to a man cut down in his prime. A great ambassador for the game.

Would be a fitting tribute to a man cut down in his prime. A great ambassador for the game.

I agree.

When I lived down on the Mississippi Coast during and after Katrina, I recalled both McNair and Farve coming down here a lot to help in the clean-up and raise money for folks made homeless from the hurricane. He was a good person, just unfortunate what happened.