1 scholarship left. Where to???

bk18

Who should get the 1 remaining scholarship?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the 1 remaining scholarship for the next year?

• Darrin Young
    • Paul Eckerle
    • Majok Majok
    • other

Skip, Billiken, et al. You guys are highly-intelligent, experienced adults with a pragmatic and reasonable view of these things. However, do you realize that you are debating online with a teenage kid who isn't even old enough to get a driver's license? I am not trying to disrespect NH, but here are some things that that take a little bit of life experience and maturity to understand.

I did not know that but it really does not mean that much to me because others who might visit this board do not know it either so they may view him as a person with experience and knowlegde that he does not have. I always worry more about misinformation on this board than I do opinions from idiots. I try to stay away from the idiots who just flame but if someone is stating "facts" that are just plain wrong and people might read them then I have this need to try to correct the record!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know that but it really does not mean that much to me because others who might visit this board do not know it either so they may view him as a person with experience and knowlegde that he does not have. I always worry more about misinformation on this board than I do opinions from idiots. I try to stay away from the idiots who just flame but if someone is stating "facts" that are just plain wrong and people might read them then I have this need to try to correct the record!

You say I flame and that I am an idiot, but you will be hard pressed to find a bigger Billiken fan than me, and you can ask anyone on the board who knows me and they will back it up. You get on your high horse and are quick to put others down but your blind optimism comes off as naivete.

Nark,

I understand your point, but keep in mind that I am a lot closer to being 18 than a lot of guys on this board. I hang out with kids making the decision of where to go to college everyday and if some school comes and recruits you, convinces you they need you etc. there is no way you are going to look at the team and say, 'hey I dont think I will get that much playing time in a couple of years, I shouldn't go there'.

Skip,

In your example with the company, you have to consider that the company is going out and recruiting the workers that you eventually fire. Then, when you throw in the fact that the workers are straight out of high school, it is ridiculous to me. At least punish the coaches for one year for doing it, just as the players are punished.

You say I flame and that I am an idiot, but you will be hard pressed to find a bigger Billiken fan than me, and you can ask anyone on the board who knows me and they will back it up. You get on your high horse and are quick to put others down but your blind optimism comes off as naivete.

Nark,

I understand your point, but keep in mind that I am a lot closer to being 18 than a lot of guys on this board. I hang out with kids making the decision of where to go to college everyday and if some school comes and recruits you, convinces you they need you etc. there is no way you are going to look at the team and say, 'hey I dont think I will get that much playing time in a couple of years, I shouldn't go there'.

Skip,

In your example with the company, you have to consider that the company is going out and recruiting the workers that you eventually fire. Then, when you throw in the fact that the workers are straight out of high school, it is ridiculous to me. At least punish the coaches for one year for doing it, just as the players are punished.

In the basketball example...EVERY kid in America knows that when they go to a school, they are expected to perform at a high level in order to get to play. They also know that if other veteran, transfer, or new recruits come in and outperform them, they will not play as much. Some kids stay and play less. Some stay and improve and regain minutes. Some leave. Some kids never get the minutes, and they also stay or leave.

I posted last year's transfer list and it happens with great frequency, for a variety of reasons all over the country, at big boy schools, middle tier and lower. It's a long list.

Nark,

Skip,

The kid has a point. And, based on his age, has a legitimate perspective that many of us lack. Think about it (as opposed to thinking about your response).

The kid has a point. And, based on his age, has a legitimate perspective that many of us lack. Think about it (as opposed to thinking about your response).

What point is that? As for his age, us old timers were all that age once too and some of us even remember a few things about what it was like.

I remember being a teenager. I was arrogant, often irresponsible, and largely driven by a relentless pursuit of good-looking women and at least moderately-cold beer. I certainly couldn't have appreciated the complexities of running a business or major sports program. At least now I am less arrogant and a little more responsible. :)

Skip, you made a very good point earlier when I mentioned Anthony Booker. But, first of all, the players are punished for transferring, they have to sit out a year. But coaches can kick anyone off they want. Secondly, players are recruited to schools, not vice-versa.

Lets say you have a 33 on the ACT and you decide you want to go to St. Jesuit university. You get accepted and you go there for a year. You stay on top of your studies and get good, but not great grades. But, the school gets a bunch of kids with 36s to apply. They only have so much room, so they get rid of you so that the 36s can come in. That doesn't seem fair to me.

But, If you go to the school and all of your professors and cruel to you, and you don't like the school, should you be forced to stay? Again, I don't think so.

A coach takes a risk when he recruits a player. A player also takes a risk when he chooses a school. But, when it comes down to it, I will side with the kid who is still growing rather than the experienced coach who has been doing this for years.

Hey pal - it's Saint Jesuit University.

One more thing to consider, everyone is connecting Jordan leaving to Jett's arrival. It can be debated that Jordan could have seen reduced playing time with the arrival of McCall and the return of Femi. Both are taller guards.

which is what I stated weeks ago when I said it was possible JJ would consider transferring because I thought he was too good to spend his career buried on the Bills bench. You can see the kid likes to play and can score, he is better off going to a place where he can do that.

Nark,

Skip,

ahhh .... now we're on the same page. I believe I was the first and have been saying it for years. Either no one is punished (which I would prefer) or both parties have some sort of equal penalty

and to billiken ... we disagree, but I wouldn't call NH a flamer or an idiot

Most programs dont have three kids transfer a year. You can continue to believe that JJ wanted to leave, I cant convince you differently, but it is not what I believe.

Maybe as Thicks says we will see less transfers now. I can only hope so.

I'd argue if the balance in the classes was there you wouldn't have this high number of transfers. All our players were bunched in two back to back FR and Soph classes. JJ and Jon Smif would probably have been content to stay at SLU if we had 2 or 3 players graduating this spring and a couple of more next year. Their was also the dilemma of bringing in 2 new recruits that would further challenge them for PT. In short, they were looking at two years of pine riding vs one.

Most programs dont have three kids transfer a year. You can continue to believe that JJ wanted to leave, I cant convince you differently, but it is not what I believe.

Maybe as Thicks says we will see less transfers now. I can only hope so.

If Rick said "Hey JJ, I'm going to guarantee you play at least 18 minutes a game like you did this year" would JJ have stayed? I'm sure he would have. With the knowledge that he wasn't going to play that much, did he want to stay? I very much doubt it. If you think he wanted to stay and not play, you are right; you can't convince me of that. But his playing time wasn't going to be dependent on us getting Jordair Jett; that had nothing to do with how much he was going to play. He wasn't going to play over Kwamain, Kyle, Christian, or Mike McCall as far as we all can tell. He was going to have to compete with Femi and Paul for what little minutes were left over, and we are going to play 2 guards more than we did last year I'm sure, so there are even less minutes to go around for guards.

I don't think JJ wanted to leave because he didn't like the school, the players, the coaches, etc. I think JJ wanted to leave because he wasn't going to see the court that much, and I don't have a problem with that. And I don't have a problem with Majerus being up front with him about his playing time.

I bet we don't have three transfers next year or the year after. Wanna make that one?

"but as I predicted with Jordan, I don't think there will be enough minutes for him."

Additionally, that is a quote from you in a different thread, NH. So you thought before that there wouldn't be enough minutes for him, just like you think there won't be enough minutes for Jett. So you think JJ was just so excited about getting to ride the bench and chat with Paul Eckerle, but now got pushed off the team? And you predict Jett is going to transfer to get more minutes but you don't think JJ wants to transfer to get more minutes? You really believe that???