Nike Summit 2010 U19 World Team Announced Today

clock if you remember, thompson originally was going to quit basketball all together. while i dont agree with the thinking that meant he had given up on not just basketball but saint louis university and school all together.

had he not developed this hate for basketball and saint louis university he would likely not have given up on that math class. plus the academic assistance that was yanked from him at the point of his decision likely would have kept him from failing. at the very least he would have had the summer to retake the class and remained eligible.

Roy- you should go to TMZ and see if you can get a website dedicated to gossip and negative speculation about Rick majerus. I'm sure you'd make some money that way as apparently there are people who like to read your bs. How in god's name do you know anything about bt's academic pursuits and whether basketball had anything to do with his alleged failure in that area? You dont but you have no problem once again taking a jab at the coach for it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

clock if you remember, thompson originally was going to quit basketball all together. while i dont agree with the thinking that meant he had given up on not just basketball but saint louis university and school all together.

had he not developed this hate for basketball and saint louis university he would likely not have given up on that math class. plus the academic assistance that was yanked from him at the point of his decision likely would have kept him from failing. at the very least he would have had the summer to retake the class and remained eligible.

Wow.

Is there any self accountability here?

Since he hated basketball he quit trying in math? Nice try, Roy.

Somebody needs to look at a calendar. It was announced he was leaving school on June 12. The semester ends in mid May.

Stop making stuff up.

Moy.

Of course I would call out the 60 year old - but only if he were at fault. Effort in school is part of the job for a D1 athlete on full scholarship. Every other kid on SLU's team gave full effort in the classroom. They can and should deserve credit. Most were/are 18-19 year olds as well. If you want to cut BT slack, go for it. I don't . BT did not study and made failing grades such that he would not have played the first semester anyway. Are you disputing this?

No, I don't dispute that BT didn't make the grades and I already agreed that BT was at least partially to blame. I also believe, with no factual support, that RM didn't handle this as well as he could have and therefore is partially to blame. To say that others are to blame is not cutting BT slack. I'm not sure what black and white world you live in, but as with most things, I'm sure there is plenty of fault/blame to go around here.

My issue with your statements is that you don't know the whole story, yet you put all of the blame on BT and leave RM completely blameless. I find a lot of fault in that type of conclusion based thinking, especially when its devoid of the whole set of facts.

To clarify, BT didn't hold up his end of the bargain and he deserves to be called out for it. But neither did RM. When a kid fails to make it on the SLU basketball team I think it reflects some fault on behalf of RM. And no, I don't expect RM to be perfect, we all make mistakes. However, i'm not going to let him off the hook. In fact, I think he deserves to be called out given his life experience and the fact that he gets paid a $1M/year.

No, I don't dispute that BT didn't make the grades and I already agreed that BT was at least partially to blame. I also believe, with no factual support, that RM didn't handle this as well as he could have and therefore is partially to blame. To say that others are to blame is not cutting BT slack. I'm not sure what black and white world you live in, but as with most things, I'm sure there is plenty of fault/blame to go around here.

My issue with your statements is that you don't know the whole story, yet you put all of the blame on BT and leave RM completely blameless. I find a lot of fault in that type of conclusion based thinking, especially when its devoid of the whole set of facts.

To clarify, BT didn't hold up his end of the bargain and he deserves to be called out for it. But neither did RM. When a kid fails to make it on the SLU basketball team I think it reflects some fault on behalf of RM. And no, I don't expect RM to be perfect, we all make mistakes. However, i'm not going to let him off the hook. In fact, I think he deserves to be called out given his life experience and the fact that he gets paid a $1M/year.

Agreed.

Although my screen name may indicate otherwise, I don't think Rick is flawless. The guy can be an ######. Everyone knows that. Could he have treated Brett better as a person? Certainly.

I also think Brett could have handled himself better as an adult rather than failing classes and quitting on his team.

Boo hoo for Brett. That big meanie RM. Damn lucky we don't still have a draft where the pu$$ies get yelled at and can't just quit.

I hate the military analogy in arguments like this. First, the military is a different animal and probably requires the disciplinary tactics you are referencing above. DISCLAIMER: I was not in the military, I appreciate your service and other's service and I will try not to presume to tell you how the military is or isn't.

Second, I don't believe this type of discipline is always best or even useful in non-military situations. Some respond better to other methods.

Agreed.

Although my screen name may indicate otherwise, I don't think Rick is flawless. The guy can be an ######. Everyone knows that. Could he have treated Brett better as a person? Certainly.

I also think Brett could have handled himself better as an adult rather than failing classes and quitting on his team.

Sounds like we agree.

Moy.

If you know, tell us what RM did wrong and what his share of the blame is.

No doubt RM pushed BT's buttons again and again and again. RM is old school and a seasoned veteran at this. RM takes pride in knowing how far to push and motivate guys. Some guys crack, cry and take their ball home. Others toughen up and move to a higher level than even they could realize. If he were as bad as you say, no one would ever play for him... and yet, the line appears to be extend way out the door to play for him. Also, if he were as bad as you say, most kids would leave and not want to play for him anymore and he'd have a losing record. That is not the case. In fact it is the complete opposite. Yes, some guys might absolutely detest the man and methods. If so, then be a man, keep your grades up, quit when the season is over and go play for someone else. If BT did this, you would hear NOTHING negative from me.

Again, tell us why RM should share the blame. Because he wasn't as nice as my daughter's kindergarten teacher? And just so we are clear, RM's methods are not acceptable for kindergarten.

Moy.

If you know, tell us what RM did wrong and what his share of the blame is.

No doubt RM pushed BT's buttons again and again and again. RM is old school and a seasoned veteran at this. RM takes pride in knowing how far to push and motivate guys. Some guys crack, cry and take their ball home. Others toughen up and move to a higher level than even they could realize. If he were as bad as you say, no one would ever play for him... and yet, the line appears to be extend way out the door to play for him. Also, if he were as bad as you say, most kids would leave and not want to play for him anymore and he'd have a losing record. That is not the case. In fact it is the complete opposite. Yes, some guys might absolutely detest the man and methods. If so, then be a man, keep your grades up, quit when the season is over and go play for someone else. If BT did this, you would hear NOTHING negative from me.

Again, tell us why RM should share the blame. Because he wasn't as nice as my daughter's kindergarten teacher? And just so we are clear, RM's methods are not acceptable for kindergarten.

Clock, quit going off the deep end. I can think that RM does things wrong without thinking he is a heinous beast. I haven't colored RM as a nasty creature in this thread, but I have pointed out that he is probably to blame somewhat for BT leaving. I don't know why you bring up this whole "if he was as bad as you say" strawman.

There are different ways to bring the best out of people. RM gets paid to find, develop, mold and lead young men. If some of the young men that he brings in do not make it, then he was wrong on a couple of fronts. First, he brought in a kid that couldn't work in his system. I'm not mad and don't expect RM to be perfect or to predict the future. Again, when one of RM's kids fails, then RM fails too. Quite frankly, i think RM would admit this (if he's "man" enough that is). Second, he didn't find a message that worked with BT. Again, I'm combining hearsay with my gut instinct and guessing that RM's tough love wasn't the best approach. Did you ever stop to think that RM helped run BT off?

Again, BT also did some things wrong. But i can cut an 18-19 year old kid a little more slack. I'm guessing that when you were 18, you weren't quite a "man" either. Maybe you should quit beating your chest and being a "man" long enough to realize that RM might not have handled this perfectly.

Clock, quit going off the deep end. I can think that RM does things wrong without thinking he is a heinous beast. I haven't colored RM as a nasty creature in this thread, but I have pointed out that he is probably to blame somewhat for BT leaving. I don't know why you bring up this whole "if he was as bad as you say" strawman.

There are different ways to bring the best out of people. RM gets paid to find, develop, mold and lead young men. If some of the young men that he brings in do not make it, then he was wrong on a couple of fronts. First, he brought in a kid that couldn't work in his system. I'm not mad and don't expect RM to be perfect or to predict the future. Again, when one of RM's kids fails, then RM fails too. Quite frankly, i think RM would admit this (if he's "man" enough that is). Second, he didn't find a message that worked with BT. Again, I'm combining hearsay with my gut instinct and guessing that RM's tough love wasn't the best approach. Did you ever stop to think that RM helped run BT off?

Again, BT also did some things wrong. But i can cut an 18-19 year old kid a little more slack. I'm guessing that when you were 18, you weren't quite a "man" either. Maybe you should quit beating your chest and being a "man" long enough to realize that RM might not have handled this perfectly.

Moy

Lack of facts = Lack of credibility!!

You still haven't listed anythng wrong that RM did. Everything with you is pure speculation. From those actually at the end of year banquet, the comments were not as bad as some had made them out to be. The reason you don't list the actions RM wrong is, of course, is that you cannot. What did RM do that was so wrong? He pushed and pushed a youngster who then lost all interest in both school and basketball. Basketball at the college level was no longer fun like it was in his small rural town. Remember, BT really didn't play AAU ball either. Most the kids who hate their coach transfer and don't give up the D1 game and leave for the NAIA.

According to you, RM's mistake is that kept recruiting and landed another bad recruit of Brad's - a kid who turned out to be a quitter!! If that is the case, then put BT down as 1 bad recruit under RM. The rest have been pretty good IMO. Even the best are entitled to a "miss" every once in awhile - especially when the "miss" is more attributable to then mental part of the game. The other mistake you mention - RM should have been nicer to BT so as to not hurt his feelings!! Are you kidding me?? Talk about going off the deep end!! :lol:

Yes, RM is 60 and BT is 19. Aside from that, there is little I agree with you on this topic.

And BTW, RM is a basketball coach, first and foremost. He is not a social worker. RM gets paid to win games and not "to find, develop, mold and lead young men." Come down from your Ivory Tower. Dont' you realize that coaches who are nice guys get fired when the don't win? College basketball is a business. SLU is in it to make money and the kids are being paid with full-ride academic opportunities which most would not enjoy otherwise.

Give me a break.

Moy

Lack of facts = Lack of credibility!!

You still haven't listed anythng wrong that RM did. Everything with you is pure speculation. From those actually at the end of year banquet, the comments were not as bad as some had made them out to be. The reason you don't list the actions RM wrong is, of course, is that you cannot. What did RM do that was so wrong? He pushed and pushed a youngster who then lost all interest in both school and basketball. Basketball at the college level was no longer fun like it was in his small rural town. Remember, BT really didn't play AAU ball either. Most the kids who hate their coach transfer and don't give up the D1 game and leave for the NAIA.

According to you, RM's mistake is that kept recruiting and landed another bad recruit of Brad's - a kid who turned out to be a quitter!! If that is the case, then put BT down as 1 bad recruit under RM. The rest have been pretty good IMO. Even the best are entitled to a "miss" every once in awhile - especially when the "miss" is more attributable to then mental part of the game. The other mistake you mention - RM should have been nicer to BT so as to not hurt his feelings!! Are you kidding me?? Talk about going off the deep end!! :lol:

Yes, RM is 60 and BT is 19. Aside from that, there is little I agree with you on this topic.

And BTW, RM is a basketball coach, first and foremost. He is not a social worker. RM gets paid to win games and not "to find, develop, mold and lead young men." Come down from your Ivory Tower. Dont' you realize that coaches who are nice guys get fired when the don't win? College basketball is a business. SLU is in it to make money and the kids are being paid with full-ride academic opportunities which most would not enjoy otherwise.

Give me a break.

You need to learn to comprehend more and go on your diatribes less. I told you from the get go that it was my opinion. In my opinion based on the quasi-facts discussed on this board, RM did some things wrong. He could have handled BT better. Also, you need to construct your arguments better. In one statement you say I "haven't listed anything wrong that RM did". In the next paragraph, you list my arguments for what RM did wrongly in this situation.

FYI, RM would disagree with you on what his job is. How many times has he discussed academics and a kid's #1 priority is to get a degree?

If you can't understand that different people respond positively to different types of teaching, then you're a fool.

If you can't understand that it is the rare occasion where one person is 100% at fault, then you're a fool.

You continue to go to the extreme with your characterization of my comments. Unfortunately, nothing I have stated goes to the extremes you attribute to me.

I'm not worried about my credibility with you. However, if my credibility was so poor, you wouldn't be arguing with me.

i believe thompson did play AAu for one of the best teams in illinois.

clock, what rickma did handle with thompson wrong was making any sort of negative comment about him at the end of the year banquet. in hindsight it is obvious that thompson had been beaten to death throughout the season and then he attacks him at the banquet again? overboard. well unless rickma had other motives. but there are few individuals that are motivated to achieve like that.

I don't know the specifics of the Brett Thompson situation, but I think the fact that he did not transfer to another Division I school says something. It takes a lot of dedication to compete at a high level at Division I basketball. Not every kid has the toughness and commitment that is required to do it.

I don't know the specifics of the Brett Thompson situation, but I think the fact that he did not transfer to another Division I school says something. It takes a lot of dedication to compete at a high level at Division I basketball. Not every kid has the toughness and commitment that is required to do it.

or maybe after seeing the demands of athletics first academics second of d1 and analyzing realistically his chances of playing professional basketball, he decided he would be in an atmospheree where athletics isnt the number one priority.

while i am not saying lindenwood has tougher academics than slu, there are plenty of d3 schools that indeed do have tougher academics than slu and it might actually be tougher and take more of a committment to keep up academically than to play athletics.

wash u comes to mind. my daughters school, rose hulman is another. emory in atlanta, and many more. dont make it out that an athlete lacks committment and toughness if they arent in d1. i would say they could have different priorities.

or maybe after seeing the demands of athletics first academics second of d1 and analyzing realistically his chances of playing professional basketball, he decided he would be in an atmospheree where athletics isnt the number one priority.

while i am not saying lindenwood has tougher academics than slu, there are plenty of d3 schools that indeed do have tougher academics than slu and it might actually be tougher and take more of a committment to keep up academically than to play athletics.

wash u comes to mind. my daughters school, rose hulman is another. emory in atlanta, and many more. dont make it out that an athlete lacks committment and toughness if they arent in d1. i would say they could have different priorities.

Are you guys really spending your Sunday night arguing over Brett Thompson!?!

Are you guys really spending your Sunday night arguing over Brett Thompson!?!

That's hilarious.

Like the guys still bitching that the Cardinals would only offer Steve Carlton $ 70K, 30+ yrs ago, Carlton wanted $ 80K, so we got rid of him.

I am studying abroad in Ireland right now and I just walked into our kitchen and saw on the TV people playing basketball which was weird enough in Europe but then a whole section came up on Rob Loe and it was all about the Nike Summit. They had 2-3 minutes of clips of him. He looks phenomenal. It didn't seem like he did much back to the basket from what I saw but there were at least 3 clips of him driving from the 3 point line and dunking amidst traffic. I would kill to see him in a Bills uniform.

the fact his brother has come on this board and said things to insinuate he would be leaving for another school says something as well.