OT: Bracketology

using realrpi rankings, and using

1. "40" as the cutoff for an at large bid.

2. if a conference has a team(s) at "40" or better the auto bid winner will come from that

3. any conference with no "40" or better team will only get their conference tourney winner in.

there are 17 conferences that do not really have a worthy team and will only get their conference tourney winner invited.

there are 6 conferences (pac 10, cusa, colonial, west coast, horizon and metro atlantic) that only have one worthy team

8 conferences (big 12, big east, acc, sec, big ten, A-10, Mtn West, and the MVC) have multiple worthy teams as of today.

that means barring no tourney upsets, there are only about 8 bubble at large spots right now.

the next 8 teams on the rpi in order are:

41 San Diego St. (mtn west)

42 Louisville (big East)

43 Florida St. (acc)

44 Maryland (acc)

45 St. Mary's (west coast)

46 Charlotte (a-10)

47 Missouri (big 12)

48 Florida (sec)

observations

-every conference tourney upset of the top 14 conferences (team wins tourney that isnt in the top 48) would knock a deserving top 48 team out.

-big 12 would get 8 teams in

-acc, big east and a-10 would get 6 teams in

-sec would get 5 teams in

-mtn west and big ten would get 4 teams in

-west coast and mvc would get 2 teams in

still early, a lot will happen over the next three weeks.

Some talking head was on ESPN during my time in line at Pappy's today and did an "in/out" with Richmond in and North Carolina out. That made me smile.

what will be interesting this year is watching "the committee" pick their at large teams because so many programs/conferences that were givens in the past do not appear to be worthy this year. will they have the guts to not only shut out the north carolina's and ucla's but also restrict the likes of the pac 10 to one team. the big ten to 4.

i predict the committee will indeed reach to pacify the bcs to a degree and then "F" a deserving A-10 team like charlotte or dayton or a MVC team like wichita state or a west coast team like st mary's and then reach to an NIT worthy bcs school like washington, illinois, minnesota or even load up on another close but not worthy big east team like notre dame or marquette.

north carolina isnt going to have a post season. when was the last time? i must admit i am enjoying that.

what will be interesting this year is watching "the committee" pick their at large teams because so many programs/conferences that were givens in the past do not appear to be worthy this year. will they have the guts to not only shut out the north carolina's and ucla's but also restrict the likes of the pac 10 to one team. the big ten to 4.

i predict the committee will indeed reach to pacify the bcs to a degree and then "F" a deserving A-10 team like charlotte or dayton or a MVC team like wichita state or a west coast team like st mary's and then reach to an NIT worthy bcs school like washington, illinois, minnesota or even load up on another close but not worthy big east team like notre dame or marquette.

north carolina isnt going to have a post season. when was the last time? i must admit i am enjoying that.

Agreed. Even if everything breaks right and the A-10 is "deserving" of 6 teams, there is no way the committee will allow it. They will treat some team the same way they did Mizzou St. in 2006 when they had a 21 RPI.

Agreed. Even if everything breaks right and the A-10 is "deserving" of 6 teams, there is no way the committee will allow it. They will treat some team the same way they did Mizzou St. in 2006 when they had a 21 RPI.

Maybe. Maybe not. The word "antitrust" has at least been mentioned in connection with the BCS, with lots of politicians who should have better things to do jumping on the bandwagon. The selection committee may be a little more image-conscious for a tourney or two, and of course will use those 2 years' data to point out all the low-RPI, mid-major teams that get knocked out in the first round as proof that "RPI is just one of our criteria."

this is shaping up as the perfect excuse (in their minds) for the NCAA to explain why they need to expand the tourney. watch and see because one fraction or the other (bcs or not) will be screaming like hell come selection sunday.

We all know that the final 2-3 teams in each and every year will have 2-3 other teams scratching their heads. However, the main point of the the tournament is to crown a National Champion. Teams in this group of "maybe in or maybe out" will not run the table and beat much better teams anyway--they could make a run and make it interesting though, but they didn't do enough to earn the right to try like other teams have. I know that just making the tourney is a huge deal. Believe me I wish our Bills were there every year. Bottom line is the teams in the wishy-washy, not absolutely-for-sure-bids have done some things to get overlooked--ie lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to--usually more than just once. We all know the the committee is going to make at least a couple of head-scratcher/borderline unbelievable decisions--they do every year. But again if you put your self in that position...

Compared to the debacle that College football goes through every year...do I really need go there? I don't think so.

The tourney does not need more teams in it. Again we are trying to find the best team in the country--I don't think the 94th ranked team in the country is going to be running the table and beating 5 or 6 much better teams. The tourney has too many one sided games as it is.

Despite its falacies--it is still the best sporting event of the year--by a long, long shot.

after giving props to the A-10 for the majority of the year most commentators are starting to hedge, making excuses for us getting 6 or even 5 bids. I'll be happy with 4. I think that is all we'll get especially since a lot of the teams in contention are going to lose to us in the next couple weeks.

after giving props to the A-10 for the majority of the year most commentators are starting to hedge, making excuses for us getting 6 or even 5 bids. I'll be happy with 4. I think that is all we'll get especially since a lot of the teams in contention are going to lose to us in the next couple weeks.

I am sorry to inform the Board that the A10 will not get 6 bids, since a team with an RPI presently of only 110 will soundly thrash the top four teams in the conference, dropping their cumulative RPIs enough to limit the number of bids the league will receive. Those are the upsets in which I am most interested.

mhg

A-10 will not get 6 invites IMO.

Maybe 5.

Possible even 4, depends on who loses to 'dogs and how conference tournament winds up.

We shall see.

I'd agree here. No way we get in 5 unless there's a major upset in the tourney, ie SLU wins it, then maybe, but even that is highly unlikely, an A-10 deserving team would get bumped. Also, there will be upsets in the BCS tourneys, eg GA in the SEC last year or previous year. If this happens in a couple of the BCS tourneys no team thought to be a tourney team will likely get bumped, eg Providence pulls off a miracle, they're probably not gonna bump a BE bubble team like Marquette. In effect, the BCS'ers will almost always get an extra spot when there's an upset in a tourney. The minor conferences will get ###### again. I'd agree w/ the logic that expanding the field is not desireable exactly for what Broy mentioned, the 94th team in is not gonna win. However, it's highly unlikely the 62nd seed is gonna win either. Truthfully, setting it up so bubble teams have a shot at the final 64, a mini play in tourney, might not be a bad thing. On selection Sunday they select a core field of 49 teams, then you play 30 games to field the final 15. That would stop a lot of whining come Selection Sunday. For example, 'Cuse pitched a fit a few years back. Let them play their way in by beating a mid major. These 30 games could be played over two days maybe setting back the tourney by a week, or maybe not. The higher seeded 15 would be the host teams. The losers automatically go on to the NIT and that field is filled in from there. And let's not discuss time away from academics, they're an afterthought come tourney time anyways.