Kyle Cassity

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it just fine. Like Luke, Marcus was also asked to play power forward when Tommie and Kevin were on the team, occupying the 2 and 3. The important point is that both Luke and Marcus were asked by their coaches to play out of position. One chose to accept it, another decided to leave. That does not mean Marcus is a bad guy. I'm sure RM understands his system better than you and I, and if he determined that Marcus was best for his team at the four, I trust his judgement.

No, Marcus did play four that year, but when we did get some forwards he shouldn't have to play there anymore. Marcus always has been a 3, but he played out of position to benefit the team when they lacked that forward depth, but why would he do that when the Bills did recruit forwards. Marcus wouldve never fit in on these teams because wasn't a majerus recruit and Majerus' ego would not allow him to be succesful, IMO.

I'm most encouraged by those runs we went on last night. The big one (sparked by Cassity, and thicks taking a thick ######) that put us ahead initially, and the monster 7-0 run to jump ahead in the 2nd OT (during which KC hit another big three). We didn't used to have the firepower to do that. Except when Lisch went mental and way back when when Tommie brought it.

You have a vivid imagination.

Hope you are right, because i expected this after his earlier big game this year. Kyle will need to continue this level of play with MM coming in next year. It seems strange that both his "big" games have come away from the Fetz and too bad for his parents, who I think are at every game in STL.

As I said in another post, clearly RM sees a lot in KC's game with all the minutes he is getting. With 10 guys now contributing how would JR fit in if he comes back? Who would he steal minutes from?

Cassity's first big game WAS at Chaifetz, when he scored 18 points. He then went off to Chicago and promptly lost confidence.

No, Marcus did play four that year, but when we did get some forwards he shouldn't have to play there anymore. Marcus always has been a 3, but he played out of position to benefit the team when they lacked that forward depth, but why would he do that when the Bills did recruit forwards. Marcus wouldve never fit in on these teams because wasn't a majerus recruit and Majerus' ego would not allow him to be succesful, IMO.

That last comment, which is complete speculation says it all about where you are coming from.

Marcus continuing down the road at the four could have allowed Willie or Thompson to redshirt last year. And this year, his presence would have allowed Smith or Remekun to reshirt, even with Cody not being around the first semester (And maybe he doesn't recruit Remekun or Smith if Relphorde stays). Also, as we've seen with RM, many of these guys play a couple positions. Relphorde likely would have been a 3/4. It's fine that Marcus chose to leave after playing a position he didn't want to. Luke could have also chosen to go somewhere else if he really wanted to remain a 3, but he didn't.

That last comment, which is complete speculation says it all about where you are coming from.

Marcus continuing down the road at the four could have allowed Willie or Thompson to redshirt last year. And this year, his presence would have allowed Smith or Remekun to reshirt, even with Cody not being around the first semester (And maybe he doesn't recruit Remekun or Smith if Relphorde stays). Also, as we've seen with RM, many of these guys play a couple positions. Relphorde likely would have been a 3/4. It's fine that Marcus chose to leave after playing a position he didn't want to. Luke could have also chosen to go somewhere else if he really wanted to remain a 3, but he didn't.

The point is, Majerus didn't think MArcus could play wing and he was clearly wrong. I hope we start having tons of success under Majerus, but until we do I think it is ok to question some of his decision making.

NH - You're almost as bad as B-Roy. What does Majerus's ego have to do with any of this. Pure speculation on your part. There is no difference between Luke and Marcus being asked to play out of position. No difference whatsoever. You and Roy just choose to view everything through your "I hate Majerus" goggles. In fact, you seem to forget that Meyer and Marcus were here at the same time during Marcus's first year. So Meyer is playing out of position out of necessity but Marcus is not?

If Majerus really thought Marcus was good enough to play guard, then would he really run him off? How does that serve his ego to have people telling him after the fact that he let someone go who could fill a void? Makes no sense.

"when we did get some forwards he shouldn't have to play there anymore." Really? Well, Eberhardt is gone. Thompson is gone. Maybe if he would have stuck around and given it a try he'd be getting PT at the power forward. If he's really the second coming as you all seem to think, then he would find a way to fit in. Also, was there really a lot more time open for him at the 3? What about Tommie Liddell? Even though we had Thompson and Reed coming in to the front court, recall that at the same time we also had Ruben Cotto and Kyle Cassity coming to the backcourt.

Frankly, I don't care that he chose to leave and it probably was a good decision for him. But to sit here and blame RM for asking him to play out of position is just ridiculous. There are so many Billiken players who have played out of position. How about Bonner playing center? Marque Perry playing everything from 1-3, Luke Meyer, Chris Sloan, Donnie Dobbs - all these guys played out of position. Good for them. And good for Marcus to move on.

But if you are going to blame Majerus by calling him a bad person (as Roy did) for asking him to play out of position, you are just being ridiculous.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13776455

Here's an article about Marcus. Please note that the Colorado coaches were expecting him to do a little of everything including playing the 4-spot.

The point is, Majerus didn't think MArcus could play wing and he was clearly wrong. I hope we start having tons of success under Majerus, but until we do I think it is ok to question some of his decision making.

You don't know whether or not Majerus THOUGHT he could play the wing. The only thing we know is that Majerus wanted him to play inside, at least for the upcoming season.

"Majerus didn't think MArcus could play wing and he was clearly wrong"

First of all, how do you know Majerus didn't think he could play the wing? I would like to know the answer to this. If he said I think you can serve this team better at the 4. You will help us more that way. That's different than saying you will never amount to anything at the wing so forget about it.

Also, how was he clearly wrong? Marcus is playing in a totally different offense. You have no idea what he could do in our set. Also, we're talking about a guy who is shooting 34% from the perimeter and is averaging 10 points a game. That's not that much better than what Salecich is doing.

Totally unnecessary. Ace, you are the king of the gratuitous shot.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from the king of misguided scorn. The same guy who scolds folks for using SPUMAC, yet turns around and advises people to simply "ignore" trolls who take a shot at our program. And I guess we are supposed to just allow people to trash our coach, and not challenge some of the crap that is little more than wreckless speculation.

My comment about Marcus was tongue-in-cheek... a satirical comment not nearly as ridiculous as some of the stuff said about RM. I got nothing against poor Marcus, who seems like a decent kid. But sure enough, it is not the character assasinations against Majerus that draw scorn, it was my comment about Marcus, which wasn't even meant to be taken seriously. ;)

NH - You're almost as bad as B-Roy. What does Majerus's ego have to do with any of this. Pure speculation on your part. There is no difference between Luke and Marcus being asked to play out of position. No difference whatsoever. You and Roy just choose to view everything through your "I hate Majerus" goggles. In fact, you seem to forget that Meyer and Marcus were here at the same time during Marcus's first year. So Meyer is playing out of position out of necessity but Marcus is not?

If Majerus really thought Marcus was good enough to play guard, then would he really run him off? How does that serve his ego to have people telling him after the fact that he let someone go who could fill a void? Makes no sense.

"when we did get some forwards he shouldn't have to play there anymore." Really? Well, Eberhardt is gone. Thompson is gone. Maybe if he would have stuck around and given it a try he'd be getting PT at the power forward. If he's really the second coming as you all seem to think, then he would find a way to fit in. Also, was there really a lot more time open for him at the 3? What about Tommie Liddell? Even though we had Thompson and Reed coming in to the front court, recall that at the same time we also had Ruben Cotto and Kyle Cassity coming to the backcourt.

Frankly, I don't care that he chose to leave and it probably was a good decision for him. But to sit here and blame RM for asking him to play out of position is just ridiculous. There are so many Billiken players who have played out of position. How about Bonner playing center? Marque Perry playing everything from 1-3, Luke Meyer, Chris Sloan, Donnie Dobbs - all these guys played out of position. Good for them. And good for Marcus to move on.

But if you are going to blame Majerus by calling him a bad person (as Roy did) for asking him to play out of position, you are just being ridiculous.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13776455

Here's an article about Marcus. Please note that the Colorado coaches were expecting him to do a little of everything including playing the 4-spot.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember calling coach Majerus a bad person. I do not think he is a bad or evil person at all, but I do think he has a very large ego that can and does cloud some of his decisions, the Relphorde situation being one of them. It may be speculation, but I honestly believe Majerus didn't really want Marcus on the team and I don't think Marcus played enough when he was here.

The Rick Majerus signing is the best event to happen to the billikens in my life, but he has not been quite everything I expected/hoped he would be and I think that we, as fans, have the right to question his decisions.

You're right, I do agree with Roy on several issues concerning Rick.

-I wish he was better and more open with the media

-I wish he would recruit from the St. Louis are

-I wish he could answer questions without going off topic

-I wish he could be a little more humble in some of his decisions

-I wish he could win without kicking/driving players out of the program

But, overall, he has done a pretty good job so far and I think he will continue the path leading to Bills to the NCAA tournament.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from the king of misguided scorn. The same guy who scolds folks for using SPUMAC, yet turns around and advises people to simply "ignore" trolls who take a shot at our program. And I guess we are supposed to just allow people to trash our coach, and not challenge some of the crap that is little more than wreckless speculation.

My comment about Marcus was tongue-in-cheek... a satirical comment not nearly as ridiculous as some of the stuff said about RM. I got nothing against poor Marcus, who seems like a decent kid. But sure enough, it is not the character assasinations against Majerus that draw scorn, it was my comment about Marcus, which wasn't even meant to be taken seriously. ;)

Are you calling me a troll, or saying I am trashing our coach, because at the risk of sounding conceited/arrogant whatever, but I have never met a bigger billikens fan than myself.

Are you calling me a troll, or saying I am trashing our coach, because at the risk of sounding conceited/arrogant whatever, but I have never met a bigger billikens fan than myself.

No not calling you a troll, at all. I appreciate the debate on this subject and recognize that you are a good fan. We just have a little difference of opinion. You make some good points, I just disagree with a few.

I am the only one that thinks people are talking out of both sides of their mouths when they get pissed Majerus ran players off, yet they continue to go to Billiken games and enjoy the success the team is having?

A fair point, but being a fan of a team does not necessitate being a fan of a coach. And up to this point, the only people Rick has run off were those who were not his recruits. But, if he goes up to femi (picking a completely random player here) and says, "hey, we need your scholly for rob loe, sorry" I am going to get mad. But even then, I can still root for the team, because I was a fan before Rick and I will be a fan after Rick, so the program means more to me than the coach. I hope that made sense?

My comment about Marcus was tongue-in-cheek... a satirical comment not nearly as ridiculous as some of the stuff said about RM. I got nothing against poor Marcus, who seems like a decent kid. But sure enough, it is not the character assasinations against Majerus that draw scorn, it was my comment about Marcus, which wasn't even meant to be taken seriously. :P

My point is that you have a tendency to digress and steer topics away from their focus.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember calling coach Majerus a bad person. I do not think he is a bad or evil person at all, but I do think he has a very large ego that can and does cloud some of his decisions, the Relphorde situation being one of them. It may be speculation, but I honestly believe Majerus didn't really want Marcus on the team and I don't think Marcus played enough when he was here.

The Rick Majerus signing is the best event to happen to the billikens in my life, but he has not been quite everything I expected/hoped he would be and I think that we, as fans, have the right to question his decisions.

You're right, I do agree with Roy on several issues concerning Rick.

-I wish he was better and more open with the media--ANSWER--MORE OPEN!!!!NO ONE IS MORE OPEN BUT HE COULD BE BETTER.

-I wish he would recruit from the St. Louis are aNSWER--THERE ARE VERY FEW BIG TIME RECRUITS IN ST LOUIS RIGHT NOW SO IT IS WONDERFUL THAT HE HAS BEEN ABLE TO GO TO OTHER PLACES, WHETHER IT BE AUSTRALIA OR CHICAGO AND GET GOOD PLAYERS.

-I wish he could answer questions without going off topic HE HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR YEARS EVEN BEFORE HE ARRIVED AND IT IS UNLIKELY AT HIS POINT IN LIFE HE IS GOING TO CHANGE

-I wish he could be a little more humble in some of his decisions IN DEALING WITH HIM PERSONALLY I DO NOT FIND HIM TO HAVE ANY MORE EGO THAN ANYONE WHO HAS DEVELOPED A BIG REPUTATION AND OFTEN HE IS LESS ARROGANT THAN MOST

-I wish he could win without kicking/driving players out of the program YOU HAVE BEEN READING TOO MANY BILLIKEN ROY POSTS. EVERY COACH IN THE COUNTRY, WHEN HE TAKES A NEW JOB, EVALUATES HIS PLAYERS AND SITS DOWN WITH THEM AND TELLS THEM WHETHER THEY CAN EXPECT TO PLAY. MANY LEAVE FROM ALMOST EVERY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY FOR VARIOUS REASONS.

But, overall, he has done a pretty good job so far and I think he will continue the path leading to Bills to the NCAA tournament.

SEE MY ANSWERS TO YOUR POINTS ABOVE, AND:

I have stayed out of this Relphorde discussion because very few know what they are talking about but I can say this--sometimes in business and in life there are times when people and organizations do not fit well and when they split up both can prosper. I watched MR play in the all star game here and when he has a wide open AAU ball type of enviroment where he can free wheel he looks like a player. But his fundamental defense was basically non existant, particularly against a smaller guard type player.

At SLU he seemed to want to gun up 3 pointers and play on the perimeter when we needed a different type of player. Truth be told, MR was never the type of player who would fit in well with a RM type team with an emphasis on the defensive end--if MR wanted to play on the perimeter. So he left and found a juco he liked and then ended up at colorado. We recruited others in his place who look to have future potential and can defend.

I have watched about 5 of the Colorado games, taped, since this year started and MR has had some very nice offensive games when he is allowed to free wheel and gun up the 3 ball. He has also had some poor offensive games but he is a player that is helping colorado. On the other hand, his defensive fundamentals are still not good and he cannot guard a smaller perimeter player if his life depended on it. But his current coach is willing to adjust and make accomodations. Coaches have different strategies--MR may be good for his coach but not for RM. So maybe both can prosper separately when they would not have done well together. Those things happen in life and in basketball.

If you watched the UConn/Pitt game last night you could see the type of team that RM is trying to build. Both teams play tough intense defense and smart offense with talented guards and tough bigs who are athletic. The announcer said that Rick Majerus is a very good friend of Jamie Dixon and when he took the job at Pitt he asked Rick for advice and he told him to build a team based upon defense, toughness and tenacity. He has done so and been very successful in one of the top conferences in the country. We are hoping to do the same and I see the beginnings of a really good team! Let's stay positive!

I am the only one that thinks people are talking out of both sides of their mouths when they get pissed Majerus ran players off, yet they continue to go to Billiken games and enjoy the success the team is having?

this might be one of the most ridiculous statements i have ever read. i went to slu, my wife went to slu, my son went to slu. we bleed blue. we will always be slu grads and billiken fans. rick majerus is a temporary employee. he may be here for 15 more years, but at some point he will move on.

to think i cant be a fan of my alma mater because i dont like rick majerus is just crazy. i love the billikens i love the kids that participate in all the sports. i go to baseball, softball, volleyball, men's and women's basketball games. i have been a season ticket holder and billiken club member for over 20 years. but now i cant be a fan. you sir are nuts.

My point is that you have a tendency to digress and steer topics away from their focus.

Sure, nobody else does that. :P;)

I brought up Marcus, because before the game somebody (I forget who) ripped Majerus for thinking Cassity was better than Marcus. I just thought it was funny that Kyle then went out and had his best game. Personally, I am more interested in defending the reputation of our current players, than those who chose to leave the program.

SEE MY ANSWERS TO YOUR POINTS ABOVE, AND:

I have stayed out of this Relphorde discussion because very few know what they are talking about but I can say this--sometimes in business and in life there are times when people and organizations do not fit well and when they split up both can prosper. I watched MR play in the all star game here and when he has a wide open AAU ball type of enviroment where he can free wheel he looks like a player. But his fundamental defense was basically non existant, particularly against a smaller guard type player.

At SLU he seemed to want to gun up 3 pointers and play on the perimeter when we needed a different type of player. Truth be told, MR was never the type of player who would fit in well with a RM type team with an emphasis on the defensive end--if MR wanted to play on the perimeter. So he left and found a juco he liked and then ended up at colorado. We recruited others in his place who look to have future potential and can defend.

I have watched about 5 of the Colorado games, taped, since this year started and MR has had some very nice offensive games when he is allowed to free wheel and gun up the 3 ball. He has also had some poor offensive games but he is a player that is helping colorado. On the other hand, his defensive fundamentals are still not good and he cannot guard a smaller perimeter player if his life depended on it. But his current coach is willing to adjust and make accomodations. Coaches have different strategies--MR may be good for his coach but not for RM. So maybe both can prosper separately when they would not have done well together. Those things happen in life and in basketball.

If you watched the UConn/Pitt game last night you could see the type of team that RM is trying to build. Both teams play tough intense defense and smart offense with talented guards and tough bigs who are athletic. The announcer said that Rick Majerus is a very good friend of Jamie Dixon and when he took the job at Pitt he asked Rick for advice and he told him to build a team based upon defense, toughness and tenacity. He has done so and been very successful in one of the top conferences in the country. We are hoping to do the same and I see the beginnings of a really good team! Let's stay positive!

Excellent point. I was trying to say that before I got sidetracked. Apparently I tend to do that.

Excellent point. I was trying to say that before I got sidetracked. Apparently I tend to do that.

I tend to agree, but I also think that Relphorde would've never gotten a fair chance because Rick didn't recruit him. Who do you think would've played, Kyle or Marcus, even if Marcus was a better player my money goes to Kyle because he was handpicked by Rick.