SLU players playing pro ball

go to slubillikens.com and download the media guide (long time). it lists all recent billikens and where they are now.

to save you the time, my copy of the 2003-04 media guide says that matt baniak, chris heinrich, kenny brown, justin love, mo jeffers, virgil cobbin, donnie dobbs, dave ferguson, marque perry, and jamal johnson were all playing professionally as of the beginning of the year.

You have to remember Romer was only here three years and he coached many of the players listed.

Lattimer> he recruited and coached for 2 years.

Baniak> coached his last 2 years

Fergerson> coached his last year

Heinrich> coached his last 2 years

Jeffers> re-recruited and coached his 2 years at SLU

Love> coached his last year here

Perry> re-recruited and coached him 3 years. I saw Marquis play on last Monday's weekly NBDL game and the way he played and the way the announcers talked about him (NBDL Player of the Month for February), he will be getting a call any day now from a NBA team.

Also, it would not surprise me if Fish plays in Europe next year. We know he very eager to play in Spain to be close to his girlfriend.

Both Jeffers and Perry had been recruited by Spoon but when Spoon quit both indicated on Romer's radio show that they considered other options and not attending SLU. When that happen Romer and/or his assitants went to Chicago and Arkansas and essentially had to re-recruit them again.

Unfortunately, when Romer left, we could do the same with Hollins in LA. I think Hollins would have given us some needed athletism up front.

tar heel is correct. both jeffers and perry had indicated they were having very strong second thoughts when spoon announced he was quitting. coach romar had to convince them to come. while i love coach soderberg, unfortunately he couldnt do the same with hollins.

On this board, we been down the road about Romar's recruiting record at SLU many times (do we really need another trip?). Coach Romar is a fine human being and solid coach but he had poor recruiting results at SLU, I really can't even see how anyone could argue otherwise. One can argue about his intentions or bad breaks or whatever but the results speak for themselves.

The post said "Romar recruited" both players. This is false. The fact that he was able to hold on to Marque and Mo after both were recruited by Spoon earns him a pat on the back and nothing more. He took major swings at top recruits throughout his stay in STL and came up dry leaving the scholarships to fall to the Ross Varners and John Seyferts of the world. Yes, if he had stayed, he would have landed a major blue-chip recruit in Hollins ... but he didn't stay. My mind is stuck on Randy Pulley, Jason Edwin and and Floyd McClain as the typical Romar recruits. The one thing I am most thankful to Lorenzo for is recruiting Brad Soderberg as an assistant. I wish Coach Romar well in his career at Washington and I am certain he will do well recruiting on the west coast from that school.

Hollins has some potential, but I do not recall him being a major blue chip prospect.

This year (his second) he averages 6.5 points and over 4 rebounds a game for a bad UCLA team in 25 mpg. I saw him play 3 or 4 times and was generally unimpressed. He is still very thin, listed at 6'11 215. He makes Husak look beefy.

>>The post said "Romar recruited" both players. This is

>>false.

>

>Actually, his post says, "re-recruited." That's true.

Ahhh ... I did not catch this distinction. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I would have to agree then that "re-recruiting" is technically not a false statement.