Student dies after fall from Marchetti East

brianstl

I hate to say it, but SLU's regulation of drinking is out of control. There are conspiracy theorists in all of us, but this kid probably had no record, no reason to worry about a simple complain, and allowed panic to set in, thinking he couldn't live with his parents with this on his record. Totally a way of thought for these young Indian children, who grow up in very conservative households. I lived with a first-gen Indian SLU Law student and he got a DUI and for a week just locked himself in his room out of shame. I thought he was going to kill himself...thank God he didn't. I'm sure this was handled inappropriately by our lovely DPS people and ResLife, who are just atrocious in handling these situations. They need to know the track record of these kids before bringing in a sqaudron of Murtaughs and Hightowers to bust these kids. If it's a repeat situation, bring the DPS. If it's a kid who has kept his nose clean, just give him/her a warning. This is unacceptable and totally on the hands of SLU and ResLife.

I am confused, where in the article did it note that there was a squad of SLU police involved - all it said was the RA went out to see what was going on and the kid ran into his room. When the RA went in to the room no one was there but the kid's roommate who was sleeping. The kid obviously fell before the RA even got into the room. Also, the report did not say anything about drinking being involved - but some have simply made that assumption and given what happened it probably is not that far fetched. Why SLU is now at fault just makes no sense to me - this kid unless proven otherwise simply did not act very smart and did a dumb thing which ended in him dieing unfortunately.

My thoughts are with the student's family. And I am glad the conversation on this topic has remained fairly civil, but I just want to say in advance I will be watching this thread closely and hope that the conversation does not become too political or uncivil.

Apologies if this moderation warning was unnecessary.

You spoke too soon.

Well just to get back to the incident. Im a student at SLU and lived in both Marchetti East and West during my tenure there. Almost every time I walked out onto my balcony I thought about climbing over the balcony railing and how scary/dangerous that would be. I didnt know this student directly but I do know one or two people who know this student. My heart goes out to him and his family and friends. Lets hope this is an isolated incident that never happens again

Kids will be kids and college students will drink. I saw my sister, who is a freshman, at Lacledes on Labor Day...was it awkward?? Yeah, but we were all freshmen once...responsibility and knowing when to say when is big. Friends also don't let friends go to Lacledes the first night sorority girls can go out after rush.