A-10 Expansion - Another nice article by Stu

davidnark

It looks like there will be a press conference at 3pm (EST) in Philly to announce that Charlotte and SLU will become the newest members of the A10. There is also a push from other teams, both those leaving and entering C-USA, to speed the process and move next season, which I would be in favor of.

I am glad we are moving to the A10 with a familar face, maybe one day in a conference far far away, we will get a win in the Savvis Center! Congrats on the forward step, Charlotte and SLU.... A10 Powerhouses!

The Boston Globe is reporting that most parties to the mass conference reshuffle are now looking to start the move NEXT YEAR.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/arti...itation_for_bu/

I believe someone here started this idea :) .

Also, apologies to JJRay about UMass and Rhode Island's A-10 votes. Apparently they voted against BU on the basis of recruiting competition. Earlier, based on fan/alumni desire to have BU in the A-10 I surmised they might vote for BU to be in.

From UMass's best beat writer:

http://www.gazettenet.com/story.cfm?id_no=11050010

Personally, I will try to make as many games as possible when SLU plays in the Northeast.

As long as everybody moves at the same time, I could care less when we make the move. I still think C-USA is a better bball conference as it stands now than the A-10. If our 5 schools stay put for another year, then I have no problem playing another season in conference USA. But then again, a part of me wants to get this whole thing over and done with.

First of all, the Conference USA schools agreed this past summer that no change would occur until the 2005-06 academic year. There may be a financial penalty for schools who try to leave sooner. Second, two "lame duck" seasons would allow both ends of the home/away one-divisional format to occur (i.e., this year SLU plays at Cincinnati, UAB, TCU, Tulane, and Memphis, but then next year they should come to SLU for one last harrah!).

I don't think there would be any penalty because CUSA is the one who wants to make the conference changes as quickly as possible. They want to add their guys next year and get rid of the defectors. SLU may be encouraged by not having to pay any fees to leave a year early.

Actually the timing of the move now appears to depend on BC. The Bigger East will not add the 5 CUSA teams until they are gone. BC is currently trying to negotiate a smaller exit fee (less than the 5 million their own college president endorsed right after it appeared the ACC was snubbing them). I think those negotiations will be sticky so 2005 is still the most likely date. However, most of the parties want to move and C-USA appears willing to negotiate reasonable accomodations if all parties want to move earlier.

while what you say is true, I suspect there maybe some give and take here. One reason to wait is football. SLU moving would not change any football schedule. The other reason to wait is to make sure that no team is left out in the cold. Now that the dominos have stopped falling......perhaps the timetable can be moved up. Perhaps the Big Least will not want to do that but SLU and UNCC want to and can. I for one would not mind moving early!!

If the article in the Post today was correct, it looks like CUSA is letting SLU and UNC keep the tourney money they have coming and has waived/reduced significantly, the $500,000 exit fee. That is good since we apparently have to pay $750,000 to join the A-10. The real problem is that the BE is going to hold the feet to the fire of any of the schools who are leaving them so they might agree to an earlier exit but they will make those teams pay dearly for it. Remember, the lawsuits that were filed earlier have not been dropped. While all the other conferences could probably make next year as a goal happen, the BE is going to be the problem. Which is interesting because they have said they are willing to take the CUSA teams next year but their position with those teams leaving them is the major stumbling block. Seems odd that on one hand they are willing to cooperate but then on the other hand they are not - can not have it both ways.