Will Clyburn

Will Clyburn has been in for his official visit since Thursday. His mom flew in from Detroit to be part of it. His head coach (not John McIntyre, who is the assistant) drove him in. Coach said it was easier to drive than fly from Marshaltown, Iowa.

He is a very nice, quiet kid. Very clean cut. Described as a gym rat.

In his bare feet he is probably 6'4--6'5". He played open gym with our guys. This is the second time I have seen him play. He rebounds well for a thin kid. Very athletic. He can bring the ball up the floor and lead the break like a guard. He can slash to the hole. He has a good outside shot, not a great outside shot. He has good form, and the shot should get even better. Truthfully, he has a lot of the same skill sets as Tommie Lidddell, only he is stronger already. . Right now he would probably start as our 3-man. He presently is better than any of the freshmen. Remember, he is older, and this was the first day of scrimmage for the freshmen during their freshman year. He and all of the freshmen will get better, but the freshmen in general were playing like freshmen do--a little timid, deferring to the upper classmen. He is being recruited to play the 2-3 position.

He is a priority recruit and we are in very good shape with him. Our main competition is Iowa State. I would not be shocked to get a verbal commit in the near future.

By the way, the head coach at Highland Community College was on campus to visit with Majerus. We were talking about Anthony Mitchell who played for him last year. He "could not believe that SLU ever recruited him out of high school". Far cry from competing with the likes of Iowa State for a recruit.

Bob: can you exapnd upon the Anthony Mitchell quote. I take it to mean even the JCUO coach was stunned we recruited and offered. In other words, does that mean "wasted" a schollie on the kid. I always liked Anthony in the minor minutes I saw him play. Just curious.

Bob: can you exapnd upon the Anthony Mitchell quote. I take it to mean even the JCUO coach was stunned we recruited and offered. In other words, does that mean "wasted" a schollie on the kid. I always liked Anthony in the minor minutes I saw him play. Just curious.

Yes. That is exactly what he meant. He didn't just mean it, he said it.

Guest BillikenReport

Bob: can you exapnd upon the Anthony Mitchell quote. I take it to mean even the JCUO coach was stunned we recruited and offered. In other words, does that mean "wasted" a schollie on the kid.

There were some people here that questioned that decision. I thought it was a desperation move by the former coach because he was having trouble recruiting and needed to get somebody.

There were some people here that questioned that decision. I thought it was a desperation move by the former coach because he was having trouble recruiting and needed to get somebody.

AM was easily the fastest kid on the floor and he should have been red shirted as he was small and had little basketball experience; they should have had him on the track team too bad he got hurt; but since he was not offered a redshirt id does seem like a real stretch if Knollmeyer and

Relphorde were encouraged to go elsewhere-they also looked like projects that would never pan out- remember Seque Barentine if that was the

spelling? How did they get Dixon in school and not a coaches son from an international team like CE?

The Mitchell signing was very telling in regard to Bernie Miklasz's knowledge of high school and college basketball. At the time AM was signed, Bernie went on his forum telling everyone about how this kid was going to end up being a huge signing for SLU. I can only speculate that Bernie was getting his information from some unobjective source like Maurice Scott. I only bring up the point because it is scary how much influence Bernie has over the casual sports fan regardless of Bernie's actual knowledge (or lack thereof) about the topics he is covering.

Guest BillikenReport

AM was easily the fastest kid on the floor and he should have been red shirted as he was small and had little basketball experience...

GOSLU68,

The problem with Mitchell, as myself and some others saw it, was that he was basically an undersized power forward who would have to play guard in college because he was too small to play forward. (I know others, like Roy, disagree with this assessment, but I know that feeling was shared by some people close to the team as well.)

That said, Mitchell was apparently playing very well in practice early in his freshman season at SLU. I heard that he looked very good against Memphis in that practice/exhibition deal and impressed the coaching staff. For whatever reason he struggled after that point, in the preseason and through the rest of the season.

I agree completely that he should have been redshirted, but it makes sense that he was not if he showed promise early on.

GOSLU68,

The problem with Mitchell, as myself and some others saw it, was that he was basically an undersized power forward who would have to play guard in college because he was too small to play forward. (I know others, like Roy, disagree with this assessment, but I know that feeling was shared by some people close to the team as well.)

That said, Mitchell was apparently playing very well in practice early in his freshman season at SLU. I heard that he looked very good against Memphis in that practice/exhibition deal and impressed the coaching staff. For whatever reason he struggled after that point, in the preseason and through the rest of the season.

I agree completely that he should have been redshirted, but it makes sense that he was not if he showed promise early on.

yeah, rickma has went out of his way to give all the non rickma players the last two years a fair shake.

sorry for that shot, but the shots at mitchell in this thread were uncalled for as well. mitchell was probably the best athlete on the team and had the size and strength that should have made him a player they would be willing to wait for development (see femi john) regardless of his preceived weaknesses.

i saw mitchell a lot his senior year in high school. and to say he was a "power forward" is flat out wrong. when east side was pressed, it was mitchell who brought the ball up the floor. when the flyers got on the break, it wasnt mitchell throwing outlet passes, it was mitchell finishing on the other end.

was mitchell going to win the next nba three point contest? absolutely not. was mitchell a born point guard? no way. could he get the ball on the wing and get to the lane? yes. did he do his share of rebounding? probably lead east st louis in rebounding.

the point is, why do we always insist on attacking these kids? let them alone. they are gone. soderberg is gone. why dont we worry about where our leading recruit is and who is going to be our lisch and liddell replacements instead of attacking those that are gone.

the point is, why do we always insist on attacking these kids? let them alone. they are gone. soderberg is gone. why dont we worry about where our leading recruit is and who is going to be our lisch and liddell replacements instead of attacking those that are gone.

I agree however I want to know who our upgrade replacements are for lisch and liddell. If all we get is the same as we got last year from those two we will not be improving(this is not to knock them, but you would have to agree they did not live up to our expectations for their senior years.). B)

I agree however I want to know who our upgrade replacements are for lisch and liddell. If all we get is the same as we got last year from those two we will not be improving(this is not to knock them, but you would have to agree they did not live up to our expectations for their senior years.). B)

i do agree completely. i wonder why that happened.